Powergen and the 2 year rule?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6126 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all,

i wonder if someone knows anything about the 2 year rule (From July 2006 they should no longer seek payment from consumers where they have not billed a customer for two years. From July 2007 this period should reduce to one year).

briefly, in december last year we had a call from a DCA (1st credit) to tell my OH he owed money to powergen on a property he moved out of in jan 2004. we queried the amount, sent a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request), and discovered that (through a series of admin mistakes on both sides) he did indeed owe around £400...though why they sent the final account to the address he had vacated instead of his forwarding address still remains a mystery.

fair play we thought, the money is owed, so i wrote to powergen making an offer of payment. i cribbed an idea from reduks marvelous thread, and sent a cheque with the letter as a first payment stating that should they cash it then i would take it as their agreement to my repayment schedule.

now we have received a letter saying they have cashed the cheque and credited the account, but that we must deal with DCA as they are no longer able to agree payment arrangements with us.

they really have been quite unpleasant to deal with and, frankly, im fed up! dont really want to deal with DCA so we were planning on just paying powergen by standing order regardless. but what about this 2 year rule? does anybody know any more than is on the energywatch website?

any help/thoughts/ideas very gratefully received,

liz

Don't know about 2 yr rule, but it would seem they have already agreed to your payment plan by cashing your cheque. I would tell them I have no intention dealing with a DCA due to their maladministration. Send the next payment as per your plan with a letter re-iterating the terms on which the last payment was sent.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

IANAL - Opinions offered are just my personal views and are not guaranteed to be correct. I have been known to be wrong (once or twice).

Claims in progress against:

Eldest - First Direct - Part Offer received - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/first-direct/79619-eldest-fd.html

Eldest - Halifax - Cheque Received Full amount - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/66254-here-we-go-eldest.html

Youngest - Halifax x 3 - Request for refund sent - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/79617-youngest-halifax.html

Eldest - unnamed Mortgage Provider for Charges and incorrect maths.

Guest Ruthie P

The two year rule means that a utility supplier cannot back bill a customer for a period longer than two years. So if you have been unbilled for 3 years when they do send you a bill the billing code means that they can only bill you for two years of the three. However, powergen have billed you as you sy they sent you a final bill (albeit to the wrong address) so the two year rule doesnt apply to you. The problem you face now is that it has been sent to a DCA so powergen have sold the debt. You have done the right thing to write to them, although you could give them another ring and ask for a manager if you get no joy in speaking with an advisor, although in my experiance, the peope in credit operations are usually very helpful.

Hope this helps, get clicking those scales if it did!

:)

thanks for the input guys.

think i shall just write them a letter then, thanking them for agreeing to our repaymeny schedule and advising them tht we shall pay by standing order on such and such a date,

thanks again

Guest Ruthie P

nick, as you will see from Liz's previous post the account was NOT unbilled and therefore the 2 or 1 year rule does not apply as i have previously advised.

Ruthie, nick wasn't suggesting that the rule applied here, he just gave some info he thought might be useful. Nick, I'm glad we've got another insider for the Utilities forum; since ozzywizard lost net access at work, I've been worrying about how this forum would get along! Boy made himself so indispensable! :) Welcome.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Often, people who actually work in the industries/occupations that each forum is concerned with can give a different perspective on how a company runs itself. Or, if not a different perspective, useful information on telephone helpline numbers, complaints addresses, or company procedure. Welcome :)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Its nice to have insiders- but thats not an excuse to berate them for their employers misdeeds!

And I mean EDF- its not the people, well its not ALL the people

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Guest Ruthie P

I wasn't being funny, I just thought that Liz may have been mislead by that information, I too work for powergen and have done for the last five years and have a lot of help to give in these forums, I wouldn't want people going off half cocked about things though. Hence the reply. I am more than happy to help anyone with anything especially where I have a lot of knowledge, I just wanted to make sure that Liz didn't think this was relevent to her. Sorry if I offended anyone :(

Putting your opinion, especially when you have "inside" knowledge, can never be offensive.

We all need to share our collective information- its all valuable!:)

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Guest Ruthie P

haha yes Nick, now we have had it removed how am i supposed to check my MCOL at lunch? the suspense kills me during the day... lol...

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone kindly elaborate what this 2 year rule is please?

I've received a letter from a creditor saying I owe payment to Powergen for electricity used between 2001 & 2005.

I left the property in 2003 and I can't really remember who the supplier was back then as a new supplier signed you up every few weeks with promises of cheaper rates!

If anyone can help I would be very grateful! Also I work for Edexcel examination board if anyone needs any help there! :-D

Okies, I am at my sisters house so not got long, hope you are all doing well. It really is ashame we have had the internet removed at work as a lot of customers lose out with information gathered on the internet and as previously said they blocked a lot of sites relevent to customer service which I wont go into here lol.

I miss this place loads so much im gonna find another job so will be back soon.

You never know I might go back to BG (SHOCK HORROR) .........

Ok the two year rule as you guys like to call it is,

If a supplier has not billed you for gas or electric for a period of over 2 years they can only backdate 2 years. This then has to be an accurate bill with accurate pricing for the relevent period and based on actual reads etc. Now the good news is from July 2007 this changes to one year so a lot of suppliers are rushing around with special departments trying to get bills out to ppl not billed, they are rushing that much that they are getting readings and prices wrong etc so these are not chargeable untill they get it right and if they dont by July they have to knock another year off.

So if you left the property in 2003 but was billed why you was there then you do owe it but another rule comes into play there and that is statue barred so if they do not contact you within six years it becomes statue barred so check everything and make sure it is an accurate bill and the first thing you check with any utility bill is actual readings, you do not have to pay estimated read bills once you have left a supplier, they are there to keep bills running smoothly and are bought back into line on the next bill when an actual read is aquired.

Take care everyone . . .

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Would be grateful for some advice/help/general pointing in the right direction.

We moved into our current property on 20 December 2004, and contacted SWEB the gas supplier to inform them that we were now occupying the house (brought from new of David Wilson) but we never received any bills or further correspondence until yesterday when an estimated bill from EDF dropped through our letter box along with another letter informing us that due to technical problems they had not been able to bill us since Nov 2004 (we didn't even live there then anyways) but as a gesture of goodwill they were willing to deduct a lump sum from the outstanding bill.

Now before I get back in touch with them I just want to get things straight with ref. to the two year rule.

- Should it be that they can only lawfully bill me for the period June 2005- June 2007? and what bit of consumer law do i have to quote with ref. to this?

- Should I ask for a detailed breakdown outlining exactly what they are trying to bill me for?

Any advice as to what steps I should take next would be greatly appreciated:D

Brownie24

hi Brownie,

good luck with sorting this out. previous posts on this thread, particularly Ozzywizard is pretty much the state of play.

possibly your best bet is to contact energywatch: energywatch: Home Page as they are kinda the regulators for the industry. they were certainly helpful when we got in touch.

thanks to all for the great advice btw, we are all sorted out now and have a reasonable repayment schedule with powergen direct.

hiya nick!

I have been with Powergen as far back as I can remember, and have been on a card meter since the change of money meters,I live in a 3 bedroomed semi, which has central heating back boiler, I do not use my tumble dryer a lot but use the washer everyday, have got 2 grown up sons at home,and was shocked to find that I was vastly in arrears even though I had a card meter, 13/7/06 ARREARS OF £252.46 , and had put £233 thru the meter from 29/3/06 - 8/7/.06 after heated discussions I got powergen to withdraw the outstanding balance as a gesture of goodwill letter to confirm this 3/8/06 balance owing 000000000000000000 . I have not received any bills from powergen since that date , although the meter was read as normal, and we have had a key meter installed and the card meter removed powergens choice But we received no receipt as to the meter readings on the meter or to say they had took it, still not received a bill despite readings then on 5th June 2007 after changing meter [2months previous] I got a letter ONLY NO BILL AT ALL WHICH STATES THAT I OWE A BALANCE OF £271.30p TO BE COLLECTED AT £5.00 A WEEK , BUT HAVE NOT HAD ANY CONFIRMATION OF THE AMOUNT PUT THROUGH METER SINCE AUG O6 BEARING IN MIND THE METER HAD BEEN RECALCULATED FOR THE INCREASES BUT i WAS AVERAGING £60/£70.00 A MONTH B4 ALTERING SO NOW i WOULD BE PUTTING MORE IN AND 10 MONTHS @ £60/£70 IS A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT WHEN YOU ARE TOLD THAT YOU STILL OWE £271.00 , SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT ERE AND I WANT ALL MY BILLS FROM AUG 06 AS I think they have pulled a fast one ere and added the cleared balance back can I demand the missing bills and total pmts .

would appreciate your views towards this JunkiMunki xx;)