john lewis (apple laptop)

hdodge
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I bought an apple macbook laptop from John lewis on the 2nd Oct 2006, a couple of weeks later it developed a fault, they were: that the usb ports stopped working, and the battery was not recogonized by the system, i took the laptop back to John lewis, they told me either that they would get it fixed approx time 2-4 weeks or i can take it to the apple store and get it repaired there approx 7-10days . i took it to apple and they fixed it.

today the screen started to flicker and died on me 5 mins later i took it back to john lewis today 24th april 2007. they told me that they would again repair it. i wasnt happy about that i was looking at getting a replacement as the laptop is just over 6 months old.

I am not sure where i stand at the moment.

any help is appreciated

thanks

Have a look on some of the Mac user forums - Apple will usually try to repair a laptop a certain number of times before replacing it. You may also be able to discover if the problem is a known one; in some such cases Apple may have a policy of replacement.

I've been using Macs since 1987 (a Mac Plus), and currently have a G4 PowerBook, a G5 iMac and a MacBook Pro. The only Mac I've ever had problems with is the MacBook Pro, which developed a fault and was repaired by an Apple authorised service centre. It still didn't work properly so they took it back in, at which point they told me that if the fault persisted they'd ask Apple for authority to replace it. However, they were able to fix it satisfactorily.

John Lewis offer a two-year warranty on Macs, as opposed to Apple's 12 months. Whether this gives them an incentive to repair rather than replace I don't know, as I'm not aware of how JL processes repairs - back to Apple or in-house.

You could also contact Trading Standards, because it may be that you could reject the laptop under SOGA.

As it's a different fault it may be seen as reasonable for John Lewis to offer a repair under the Sale of Goods Act. I think you'd have a hard time pushing for a different remedy. You would need to demonstrate that you had given them a reasonable opportunity to repair the laptop, and it's likely that a court may decide that allowing them to repair a separate fault would be reasonable.

Either way, you cannot demand a replacement. Even if a repair is deemed to be impossible or unsatisfactory, the trader can offer rescission of the contract if it is more cost effective than replacement. Rescission is a partial refund less an amount for any wear and tear you have had from the item. However, in this case, the laptop is not very old so this amount would be small and therefore they may be happy to replace if they find that a repair is uneconomical. But ultimately, I believe that a court may well find that in the first instance a repair is suitable in the circumstances.

You won't be able to reject the laptop for a full refund after this much time has passed.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.