• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Fred Bassett v Egg/Credit Solutions

Fred Bassett
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3375 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HLLegal.jpg

Reply by email:

4th September 2009

Dear Sirs,

Account Number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your letter dated 1st September 2009, the contents of which are quite idiotic and untruthful.

I have made one arrangement only and that is to pay this account by standing order. I informed your 'clients' that this would leave my bank account on 25th of each month and this is indeed what happened on 25th August.

I note that you wish me to pay the arrears of £0.00 by 7th September. Would you like cash or a cheque?

Whilst writing, I notice that your 'clients' made numerous attempts to contact me by telephone on 28th August, the first of which was at three minutes past seven in the morning. Please inform those idiots that I will not deal with them by telephone and that I will be reporting this matter to the Office of Fair Trading as this falls under the heading 'contact debtors at unreasonable times' in respect of OFT guidlines relating to unfair business practices.

Yours faithfully,

Fred Bassett

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I will contact the OFT, just for the hell of it. I might also do the same with this lot and start paying Egg directly. I got rid of CSL that way.

dmclub.jpg

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

• 1 month later...

I have had various letters from Capquest/HL Legal - can't scan them up - scanner problems. Anyway, here's my latest letter, you can get the gist of it all from this:

capQuest Fleet 27

Rye Close

Fleet

Hampshire

GU51 2QQ

FAO xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1st October 2009

Your reference: xxxxxx

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxxx,

Egg Banking plc Account Number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx – Balance £xsxxx

Thank you for your letter dated 28th September, in which you state that “it is apparent that we need to start the litigation process to resolve the matter”. No you don’t. You just have to stop behaving like idiots.

This is the chain of correspondence that has lead to where we are now:

06/07/2009

Threatening letter to me from HL Legal stating that I wasn’t paying Egg.

06/07/2009

Email from me to HL Legal basically telling them that this was untrue and that I was paying Egg and had indeed virtually doubled my monthly payment to them earlier in the year.

19/07/2009

Threatening letter from capQuest to me stating that my proposal was not acceptable.

24/07/2009

Letter from me to capQuest restating my offer of £xx per month and asking you to tell me what you thought was unacceptable.

03/08/2009

Threatening letter from HL Legal, this time also offering me a settlement figure.

04/08/2009

Letter from capQuest to me stating that I must deal with capQuest in relation to all further queries and payments.

04/08/2009

Letter from capQuest to me ACCEPTING my offer of £xx per month, provided it was received by you by 24th August.

07/08/2009

Letter from me to capQuest informing you that I could not make the payment before 24th August as I get paid on the 24th of each month and, as I had already made a payment to Egg on 3rd August, I would have to set the standing order up to leave my bank account on the 25th each month. This I did. It was also necessary for me to point out to you that you were overstating the balance of this account by £xx.

18/08/2009

Letter from capQuest to me thanking me for my letter dated 7th August and confirming that payment was due to capQuest by 27/08/2009. I took this to mean that you had accepted my offer of a standing order payment to leave my account on 25th of each month.

01/09/2009

Threatening letter from HL Legal stating “You have made several arrangements to replay this debt, which you have failed to honour, the last being on 03 Aug 09 for the amount of £xx”. There are a couple of lies in this letter. The first is that I had ‘made several arrangements’. I didn’t, I made only the one which was accepted by capQuest. The second lie was that I failed to honour the arrangement(s). Big lie. The amount left my account as promised on 25th August (which I can prove) and only a day later was showing on my Egg account having presumably passed through capQuest accounts on the way.

04/09/2009

Email from me to HL Legal telling them that this was complete garbage.

14/09/2009

Another threatening letter from HL Legal in which they stated that “you have failed to take the necessary action to honour your commitment .....” More lies.

18/09/2009

Email from me to HL Legal essentially telling them that I thought they and capQuest are idiots and hell bent on taking me to court, no matter what.

28/09/2009

Threatening letter from you.

As you can see from the above, I have not only made a payment proposal that was accepted by capQuest, but I have honoured it.

You have asked me to contact you by telephone to discuss this matter. I will not do this because I do not trust you. capQuest, in common with most debt collection agencies, has a well-deserved reputation for dishonest dealings with debtors, for bullying tactics and for its complete disregard to the law of the land, except of course when that same law is to be used for bullying purposes.

As you seem determined to take me to court, you may wish to consider how you will explain to that court why it is that you have accepted a proposal from me, which I have adhered to, then hounded me with letters containing lie after lie after lie. How is it, for instance, that I can see the balance on my Egg account online as having reduced by the amount I have paid you, yet you write to me saying that I haven’t honoured my arrangement?. This is despite the fact that the money I paid must have passed through your accounts department on its way to Egg.

I have honoured my payments on this debt and can see from my online banking account that a payment left my account, as promised, on 25th September. I have doubled my payments to Egg since the start of the year and I have maintained my payments to capQuest. If you decide to take me to court, that is your choice. I can’t pay the full balance of this account and I strongly expect that you will end up getting the same amount from me as you are currently receiving, possibly less. In addition, I will not hesitate to bring all of this correspondence before the court so that it can see that it is you that is being unreasonable. The usual debt collection agency tactics of lies, bullying and deceit will be bought out into the open once more.

Yours sincerely,

Fred Bassett

• 2 months later...

Fredericksons are starting to get on my nerves regarding my Egg loan account. This account is in the hands of a Solicitor for a PPI claim and I'm trying to get it made unenforceable.

Freds have contacted me a couple of times recently and today I got this:

fred091209.jpg

I've passed this on to my own Solicitor and in the meantime I've sent Freds this message:

Dear Sirs,

I have received a letter from you in which you claim I have not responded to a letter from Bryan Carter. I have received no such letter, although I suspect you already know this.

Please furnish me with a copy of this letter by email immediately - if it exists. Please ensure that Carter has my correct address - I wouldn't want him to issue the first part of his split claim, the one for his own costs, to the wrong address.

As you are aware, this account is subject to a PPI claim, so I will now pass your letter to my own Solicitor.

Yours faithfully,

Fred Bassett

Deceptive and/or unfair methods

2.7 Dealings with debtors are not to be deceitful and/or unfair.

2.8 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

k. not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or

disputed debt.

Deceptive and/or unfair methods

2.7 Dealings with debtors are not to be deceitful and/or unfair.

2.8 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

k. not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or

disputed debt.

It's the bit about Carter's letter that hacks me off. I think they are lying. It's that time of year again - they are all after their Christmas bonuses.

Regards.

Fred

• Haha 1

Sent Freds a reminder. Somehow I don't think Carter's letter ever existed and that this is just another dirty tactic.

Dear Sirs,

Will you please respond to my message dated 12th December. I wish to see a copy of the alleged letter from Bryan Carter.

Thank you.

Fred Bassett

• 1 month later...

I do believe that Capquest are trying to get in touch with me. It's a pity for them that they're too thick to realise that the number they have for me is a voicemail service:

CapquestCalls.jpg

CapquestCalls2.jpg

I don't think Capquest will ever get the point. They called me another 4 times yesterday. All they will ever get is voicemail so they're wasting their time. That's 26 calls this month. Never mind.

Regards.

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Capquest really are idiots beyond compare. They rang me more than 30 times last month and only once got an answer. On that occasion, I had put my voicemail through to my home 'phone in the hope that I could actually talk to them. Bingo! They rang and I moaned about them ringing my number. Interestingly, they refused to stop calling my number until I had confirmed my security details. Sure. Now they think they've got a number they can reach me on. They haven't. Anyway, here is the list: They called again today by the way.

CapquestCalls3.jpg

I've just totted that up, it's actually 40 calls in one month. All that for an account that currently stands at less than £500. I could pay it off right now but I'd prefer to see them waste their time and money.

Fred

i would save all these for court harrassment wont look god especially when you pick the phone up and its a silent caller lol

i dont fink the judge would like this attitude

Hi Patrick,

They are ringing a voicemail number, but they are too thick to realise it.

Regards.

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Well after 57 calls since 4th January, Capquest have finally given up ringing me for 1 day at least. I expect to get a letter from them soon. During this time I only spoke to them once - I diverted my voicemail to my home number when I expected them to call, only so that I could tell them that I don't deal with matters such as this on the telephone. Happily, they took the bait and carried on ringing me but they only have a voicemail number and I have every call logged - well over 50 silent calls (just a click anyway) stored as mp3 files.

I'm looking forward to winding them up a bit more. They really can't be making much out of this given the effort they've had to put in for an account worth a few hundred quid which I'm I'm paying off at £15 per month. I'm happy to waste their time and I might even make a few payments direct to Egg, just to hack off Capquest even more.

Fred

I'm happy to waste their time and I might even make a few payments direct to Egg, just to hack off Capquest even more.

I would be inclined to do what I did with HFC/Weightmans.

I complain to HFC regarding Weightmans antics, told them that I would not pay a penny more to that shower and would be paying HFC direct.

After a bit of bitching they accepted the arrangement.

David

I would be inclined to do what I did with HFC/Weightmans.

I complain to HFC regarding Weightmans antics, told them that I would not pay a penny more to that shower and would be paying HFC direct.

After a bit of bitching they accepted the arrangement.

David

Hi David,

I did that with this account when it was with Credit Solutions and it ended up with this shower. I am on the verge of doing it again and I'm in a position to pay enough per month to Egg that it should be paid off in a few months.

I certainly won't be having too many more dealings with Capquest.

Regards.

Fred

Well I got another call from Capquest today, so maybe I was wrong. They can ring as often as they like. For the time being, I will just continue to pay them the small sum that I have currently agreed.

The fun will start when I get my next letter from them.

Regards.

Fred

Things could get interesting if Capquest try and ring me again tonight because I've diverted my voicemail to one of their own numbers. Anyone attempting to get me will instead end up talking to the chimp in the next door cage.

Fred

Well they've done it, but it doesn't look as if they actually had a chat with one another:

Capquest2.jpg