• Tweets

• lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
    • Evening all,   So today, I was sent an updated offer that includes the £12.60 I spent on letters, but they have declined to add the interest at £7.40. They have stating 'We acknowledge your request to claim interest to date, however, this would be at the discretion of a trial judge if the claim did proceed to a trial hearing.' I think I am content with this outcome, and pushing this to a trial for a total interest of £15.30 throughout the claim does not make sense to me.   What are people's thoughts? I am sure our courts have better things to concentrate on?
    • FFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdfFFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdf 2pages T&C,s UCM
    • Have to attend the hearing and present evidence of his financial position (income & expenditure) and  statements ,and agree an acceptable payment plan with the judges guidance.  It will be a form of redetermination hearing as already stated.The court will not agree to bailiffs if the financials do not reflect it or assetts are minimal. They just want to determine his true affordable disposable monthly figure....which will not be £10.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Warning Warning Warning

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6181 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Folks may or may not be aware but some DCA's are now telephoning prospects in such a way that the message is incoherent except the bit where they mention their telephone number.

So you are now curious but totally unaware who's trying to make contact & you respond thinking it might be a friend or some other non-threatening person. You ask who's this to which they reply by asking in a friendly manner who you are & if you tell them their up & running.

If you receive a telephone call never answer by name or number just a simple "Hello can I help you" Before talking to the caller demand they identify themselves, they are after all calling you If you don't want to talk to them, & why would you say sorry you have the wrong no & hang up.

Some may claim because of the DPA they can't tell until you ID yourself. Absolute rubbish. Not only does the DPA not restrict them from stating who they are to refuse is actually a breach of the guidance as set by the OFT.

If they continue to refuse hang up or tell them your the maid & its your day off & they have disturbed you whilst you wassshh polishing orf't the dwinks cabinet

:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good post.

The tricks they get up to are unbelievable. A few years ago I got a call saying I had won a major prize and was asked to confirm my name, address and date of birth for delivery. Luckily I just happened to read up about this [problem] - which was a DCA tactic to check if you were still at that address - a couple of days previously. I told them that I do not give out my details to people over the phone, that my name and address was correct on the entry form and my date of birth was irrelevant.

The woman on the phone said that the prize was a car and that I had to be over 18. I said, "OK then, I confirm that I am over 18". She said she needed the full date of birth to cross-check it was correct. At that point I reminded her that she didn't even know who she was speaking to, I had not given her my name and address but simply told her that they were correct on the entry form. At that point she hung up.

My solution to phone calls is simple. If you don't have a phone with caller display, get one. And an answerphone, or use BT's 1471 free service. If you don't know who the call is from, do not answer. If it's important they will leave a message, if it isn't it doesn't matter anyway.

NEVER ring them back, that confirms to them that they have your number, and confirms to them more or less that you are still living at that address.

If you do happen to get caught out simply tell them that you are not prepared to discuss financial issues over the phone. Don't let them hassle you, whatever they say simply repeat it to them and if they keep on motormouthing you just hang up.

If they keep ringing you, report them to Oftel. Remember harrassment is illegal. Feel free to remind them of this. Never forget it's your phone and your number. Stay in control, don't be harrased and don't be embarrased to hang up.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

Another quick point in relation to the above - The OFT has specific guidelines which DCAs should be following, National Debtlines website ( www.nationaldebtline.co.uk ) summarises it quite well:

“IT IS UNFAIR TO COMMUNICATE, IN WHATEVER FORM, WITH CONSUMERS IN AN UNCLEAR, INACCURATE OR MISLEADING MANNER.”

This includes:

• Letters that look like court claims
  • Not making it clear who the company is or what their role is
  • Unhelpful legal language
  • Not giving balance statements about the debt when asked
  • Contacting you at unreasonable times even when asked not to
  • Asking you to contact them on premium rate phone numbers.

“ THOSE CONTACTING DEBTORS MUST NOT BE DECEITFUL BY MISREPRESENTING THEIR AUTHORITY AND/OR THE CORRECT LEGAL POSITION.”

Always worth quoting these as the OFT are very interested in DCAs behaviour at the mo - particularly if you look at all the publicity surrounding debt issues at present. Just because you owe a company money does NOT give them the right to treat you like dirt!

Most of the sales calls i say " sorry i dont own my home" usually they make an excuse so not, to make you think they don't want you and they clear the line.

Sometimes i listen to it all and let them go on and on and then say i dont own my own home is that ok:D , but i dont do it often as i used to do phone work and its miserable:(

BL

• Haha 1

My DCA calls are always, 'Concerning an urgent business matter'.

I'm always 'busy' with my real business to take their call :)

Lloyds Current A/C DPA sent 7th May 2009 Closed and charges wiped Summer 2010.

Barclays A/C DPA sent 4th June 2009: no reply, no correspondence as of 2011.

Littlewoods Data Protection Act Section 10 sent 09/06/2006 - Fraudulent A/C closed and CRA data removed November 2006.

HSBC Default & Debt wiped March 2009 (6 yr Statute barred reached)

RBS - Claim 1 - Settled in FULL £766.00 20/06/2006.

RBS - Claim 2 - Settled in FULL £777.95 08/09/2006

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Amount - £586.39 claim plus 8% interest

SETTLED IN FULL 08/09/2006 - CHEQUE FOR £625.25

Halifax Visa Data Protection Act Disclosure Received

First Direct Data Protection Act Disclosure received

A lot of companies usually withold their number.

I have caller display and witheld number reject. It costs about £3 a quarter.

If anyone phones and witholds their number, they get a message asking them to dial 1470 before the number they are calling, to display theirs. If they dont, the call will not get through.

This however does not work with calls from outside the UK, but the display reads "call", with no number. You then know it is from abroad and possibly a sales or other unwelcome company, so just ignore it.

Buzz.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi i have just seen the phone number on your thread posting i have started getting these on my mobil and i contacted orange and was told not to ring them back and they would look in to the numbers will let you know if i get any responce if you like

Calls I have not answered since 8.37 yesterday

4 x 08701240200

10 x 08700101138

plus 4 internationals and 12 withhelds

lovely !

karnevil - About your 4 calls 08701240200: do you by any chance know what company that number belongs to? I've received several calls to my home phone from this number, but they never leave a message & I'd rather not call them back as I don't know who they are!!

I'd be really grateful for any info.

Hi i have just seen the phone number on your thread posting i have started getting these on my mobil and i contacted orange and was told not to ring them back and they would look in to the numbers will let you know if i get any responce if you like

I have been getting these too from CapQuest (DCA)...i never answer and ignor 10+ calls some days...they have had a letter to say only communicate via letter too!

last week with my new found knowledge i answered and it was all fuzzy untill they realised it was me and it all went clear...funny that!

still they ended up shouting at me and hanging up as i had an answer for everything ... Oh Yesh! - needless to say they no longer call me :)

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

4 x 08701240200

10 x 08700101138

lovely !

Yes we have just added the anonymous call barring. Also the call barring facility to our phone which allows us to select 10 numbers for barring & its great. We have had only one call this evening. Also when blocking those firms that use premuim numbers (0807) their true landline number is automaticly disclosed at the time of your entering them to the list.

Needless to say since realizing this we have kept a record of their numbers. No doubt I'll find places on the web to disclose these numbers & when people phone them they won't be putting money into the pockets of these parasites.

They won't know it either until they notice their revenue from these numbers falling

4 x 08701240200

10 x 08700101138

lovely !

Hi Karnevil can you tell me who the 0870 01011138 number belongs too?

• 4 weeks later...

great website for finding out info is http://www.saynoto0870.com sadly 08700101138 isn't listed also allows you to find a geographrical number.

If my posts have helped you please use the scales at the top of my posts :)

Any opinions from Jannercobbler are strictly my own and I have no affiliation with any group or services.

The two most beautiful words in the English Language are "Cheque Enclosed" - Dorothy Parker

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/399-abbey-letter-sent.html

Me v Abbey - £3000 + Int + Costs + Credit File Cleaned.

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Court Claim started - 31/5/2006

Allocation Questionnaire Filed - 24/7/06

Court Date allocated 31/10/2006

Me v Citi-Cards - CCA Sent 27/07/06

Me v Citi-Cards - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Capital One - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - CCA Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - DPA Sent 03/08/06

Yet they still come!

I see the number - 08706716096 very often. I know it's my bank.

I've sent them letters asking not to call, told them not to call, yet....

STILL THEY COME!! Bain of my life!!

:eek::confused: Totallylost :confused::eek:

I only want what's mine.

Cabot (Halifax CC) £3304.31 - trying to negotiate min payment.- Sept 09

They sent copy of original agreement (bad copy).Felt I had to comply to stall. :mad:

Halifax/BMidshires - Mortgage - £18000 - In process of beginning to sue for them selling the house (after REPO) below the market value. :mad:

You need to tell them that you have expressed a wish for them not to use that number and if they continue to do so they will be in breach of the Wireless Telecommunications Act and will be reported to Ofcom.

I had a row with my bank recently, they insisted that I gave them permission to use my number when I signed up with them. I pointed out that like many web forms they practicaly forced me to provide my telephone number because the application would not go through as the application could not be submitted without it. Being forced to provide the information to complete the application is an awful long way from being given the CHOICE of providing your number in my opinion and may fall under the Unfair Contracts Act. I get around it these days by entering the number of the local trading standards office on such applications. ;)

Also they are using what is classed as a premuim rate number 0807 which they are not supposed to do according to the OFT. Tell them you'll report them.

Reccomend you contact BT pay a small monthly charge & they will give you "choose to refuse". All anonymous calls are automaticly blocked with the phrase "this subscriber does not accept anonymous calls" & you can select a further 10 no's to block. When they call you they get "calls from this number are barred"

Also when you block an 07 or 45 numbers the system reads back to you the underlying ordinary landline number so have a note pad handy

Never heard of an 0807 number, 0808 nubers are freephone though.

To be honest I blame Oftel, or Ofcom or whatever they are called these days, for this shambles. They had the chance to simplify everything when they revamped all the numbers and they screwed it up. So this is what we have now:

01 and 02 numbers: Standard landline numbers

0500: Free

070: Premium rate

077, 078, 079: Mobile numbers

0800, 0808 : Freephone

0845: local rate

0870: National rate

090: Premium rate.

So we have two different prefixes for Premium rate, 070 and 090, and 08 numbers covering three different rates! It's pathetic. Would it not have made more sense to have the following:

05: Free

06: Local

07: National

08: Mobile

09: Premium

So the higher the prefix, the more expernsive the call. The country is not THAT big, if America can cope with 10 digits we should at the very least be able to simplify things. To have an 070 number as Premium rate that looks like a mobile number is an absolute disgrace, and what really sucks is that the vast majority of the population are probably not aware of it. I deal with mobile phones and sim cards and even I nearly got caught out the other day by almost redialling an 070 number. What chance to people have that are unaware of these things?

A lot of companies usually withold their number.

I have caller display and witheld number reject. It costs about £3 a quarter.

If anyone phones and witholds their number, they get a message asking them to dial 1470 before the number they are calling, to display theirs. If they dont, the call will not get through.

This however does not work with calls from outside the UK, but the display reads "call", with no number. You then know it is from abroad and possibly a sales or other unwelcome company, so just ignore it.

Buzz.

I work in the A/E department of a hospital and we have a lot of problems contacting relatives and next of kin because the hospital phone goes through as a number withheld. It's not that helpful just to not answer!

If people don't respond to anon calls then that's the callers fault not the person called.

All kinds of companies sales/DCA's use anon numbers & your hospital management should realize that if they don't already 1 anon caller is no different from another & there is no logical reason not to display the number so your hospital should'nt do it. The fact that you waste time trying to unsuccessfully contact relatives should tell some decision maker somewhere in your organisation something.

Exactly there is NO logical reason why these companies (or hospitals) need to have anon numbers if theyre worried about ppl calling it it can be set to not accept incoming calls easily enough.

As for not answering anon calls well if its important thats what the answer phone is for lol

so make complaints there must be some kind of staff suggestion scheme, well actually thinking about it there probably isnt, has anyone actually made the trust aware that this is causing a problem? If not how are they supposed to know

Like I said in my previous, your assuming they give a xxxx. There are much bigger fish to fry and if they aren't interested in staff concerns about dangerously low staffing levels, morale, retention, patient care, cleanliness, quality of service, nurses being attacked etc etc why would they be interested in this?

If there isn't a government target for it they aren't interested.

Yes and you are assuming they wont listen without even trying arent you. I can see how its easy to be demoralised but if you dont report things then nothing ever changes does it?

I am not making any statements whether they actually take note or whatever that wasnt my question, have you actually written it down and/or told anyone about your suggestion?

To a point that's fair comment, and yes you do get so demoralised by the management not listening that you don't bother, but equally if you whinge about everything then they really get bored with listening, we need to try and get the more important stuff dealt with first.