Lowell and a Barclaycard debt from 1994!!!

CROYLAND

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5265 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys.

I have received a letter from Lowell Financial Group persuing a barclaycard debt that was accrued, well it must have been between 1994 and 1996, and I have heard nothing about this since at least 1999 when I moved and changed my name (usual problems re marriage breakdown, debts supposed to be settled etc)

They have addressed this letter to my married name but somehow have my current address although I have moved countless times over the last 7 years and had periods of effectively no address.

I have not requested credit searches etc to see whether Lowell have registered this as a new debt etc

Could this barclaycard debt be statute barred? If not, what other advice does anyone have re this?

If you've not acknowledged it in the last six years (5 if you're in Scotland), nor made any payments, then I'd agree it sounds Stature Barred.

Be very careful what you write, but you won't go far wrong with the standard letters from this site.

I'd guess they're just trying it on.

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

almos certainly statute barred i reckon and as for trying it on these cowboys are known for it.

their letters will become progressively more aggresive until they threaten court action or banckruptcy proceedings (dependingon the amount you owe). But there are plenty on here going through the mill with them and loads of advice and support to get through it unscathed.

however i would check your credit file as I am dealing with them at the moment and my situation is similar in terms of marriage breakdown several moves and now an old unkown debt sold to lowell. they registered a default against me last october that refers to a default from sept 2001.

If your debt is statute barred they cannot pursue you for it through the courts and there are certian rules and guidelines suggesting that they have to leave you alone once you have told them you have no intention of acknowledging the debt or dealing with them concerning it.

However what I dont know is what happens to the default on your file and how if at all you can have it removed.

Someone on here should be able to advise though.