Scottish Power Direct Debit Misuse

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I moved address in Feb and informed Scottish Power of my move and also cancelled my direct debit with them. I was in credit and it covered that months bill.

I later found that I had now 2 direct debits coming from my bank account. One was the new address and the other was the old address. Scottish Power renewed the direct debit as they informed me that because they werent made aware of anyone moving and and thought the flat was empty they reopened the account with me, also they werent made aware of the direct debit cancellation. Surely by me cancelling was enough to make them aware.

Surely they can't do this as my permission is needed to open a direct debit otherwise anyone can go in and take money from my account as they have my details !!

Has this happened to anyone, and what can I do about this?

Cheers guys.

Firstly, you need to contact your bank - if you haven't authorised these payments then a mistake has been made, and under the terms of the direct debit guarantee you are entitled to "a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid".

Don't be fobbed off. Here is the Direct Debit Guarantee (btw, don't believe the bit about 'the safest way of paying your bills, but you know that now ;) ):

Your rights

DC_03.jpg Direct Debit is one of the safest ways of paying your bills. Organisations using the Direct Debit Scheme go through a careful vetting process before they're authorised, and are closely monitored by the banking industry.

The Direct Debit Scheme protects you and your money by means of the Direct Debit Guarantee.

This Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that take part in the Direct Debit Scheme. The efficiency and security of the Scheme is monitored and protected by your own bank or building society.

The Direct Debit Guarantee

• If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change, the organisation collecting the payment will notify you normally 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed

• If an error is made by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid
  • You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by contacting your bank or building society. We also recommend you notify the organisation concerned.

(Basically, the bank have to refund you straight away. They then have to take the recovery of the money up with Scottish Power themselves).

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Guest Ruthie P

and while you are in the bank make sure they have cancelled the direct debit their end so that they cannot take the next months payment again in error (?!) BTW its called an indemnity claim and they are possible dont let the bank tell you otherwise.

:)