TV phone-in scam

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if a new thread section should be launched dealing with the [problem] run by TV broadcasters over phone-in money-grabbing?

With todays Daily Mail story about GMTV [problem], the number of frauds in the TV phone-in sector now total four (that is all I can find anyway). So far as I can see no formal police investigation is being conducted. If true this is simply appalling. I have written to my MP (probably a waste of time but you never know) asking if the police are investigating and if not why not?

From where I'm sitting these cases (and there are undoubtedly more lurking in the shadows) are clear case of fraud and conspiracy to defraud. Both are criminal offences and the authority that should conduct an investigation are the police, not the regulatory body for the media sector.

Shoestring

The more I read this site, the more congratulations I want to heap on CAG for the invaluable service they are performing. Bravo!

Phone scams have been going around since premium rate numbers began, then shortly after on TV... its been going on for ages but the regulators refuse to regulate what they are meant to. If someone wasnt so political about exposing the blue peter one then you woudlnt have know about the rest.

Ofcom are investigating... ICSTIS arent?

Police wont investigate, police deals with people, you cant arrest a company! The regulators police the sector... who would then get the police to take action maybe, however just likely a small fine, say £200,000 .... nothing when £40m was generated - why do companies keep doing it? as the fines are pathetic! I guess it would only be £50,000 fine anyway...

Also since the decision in the Poker Club case, which ruled that a small element of skill is not enough to legalise what is mostly a game of chance, all of these phone-ins ought to be considered illegal lotteries anyway.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

I suspect you sare correct, ManagingDirector and that the police won't investigate, and that the regulator will take years to reach a decision followed by a rap on the knuckles...

I'll report back when I hear from my MP.

The more I read this site, the more congratulations I want to heap on CAG for the invaluable service they are performing. Bravo!