Credit card debt in my name, not mine.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently found out that one of my daughters opened up a credit card in my name at my address. She later transferred it to her own address. I have only found out about it when she has been unable to keep up with the payments. Until then I knew nothing. I have been incontact with the Company and offered to accept the debt LESS ALL THE BANK CHARGES if they do not presecute her AND they make good my credit rating. After all if they try to get money out of a single parent with no money they are not going to get much are they.

Their reply is that they will credit £99 bank charges only, I estimate should be £500 on the statements we have. They will not make good my credit rating, which up to now had been excellent, I never had any problems. They will only do this if I sign to say they can prosecut my daughter.

Are they unreasonable? Are they stupid? Are they bluffing? If I tell them to prosecute and clear my name, will they? We are talking a lot of money, which I will struggle to pay but will my daughter ever get a job and a chance to get on in life if I take this route.

Can anyone give me any help and advice please.

Pretty desperate now and have to make a decision quite quickly, obviously, I have to reply very soon.

Thanks

Well if you send a CCA letter requesting the true Copy of your original Credit Agreement, it isn't going to be your signature or writing or anything is it?

What you daughter did, I'm pretty sure, would be classed as fraud. I would actually suggest getting some proper legal advice from a solicitor. By accepting the debt you may be acting as a party in encouraging the fraud, if you see what I mean. I think a solicitor is your best way forward unless anyone here can offer any other advice.

Maybe getting this to Court might be a solution, whereby a Judge may be able to make a sympathetic ruling. But if your daughter commintted an act of fraud, I would suggest she may have to live with the consequences.

I'm sorry I can be of no further help.

Egg/CapQuest 2 - CCA sent 12/04/07 ****RESULT****

Barclays Bank/Lowell 1 - CCA sent 12/04/07 ****RESULT****

Halifax/CapQuest 1 - CCA sent 12/04/07 SD issued ****WON with COSTS****

Barclaycard/Cabot - CCA Sent 12/04/07 Unenforcable Application Form

Smile/Lowell 2 - CCA sent 12/04/07 Unenforcable Application Form

NatWest/Fredrickson International - CCA sent 12/04/07 No Reply

Halifax/1st Credit - CCA sent 17/04/07 No CA but Threats from 1st Credit & Connaught! - Still Nothing but still chasing!

Student Loans Company/CapQuest 3 - CCA sent 11/06/08 - No Reply.

Lowell 3 - Ignored them went over their heads to Capital One

Halifax - S.A.R - sent 17/04/07 Completely incomplete!

Halifax 2 - S.A.R - sent 11/06/08 - Scant Info

Capital One - S.A.R - sent 11/06/08 - Scant Info

Why would they prosecute your daughter? Only the police can do that. Quite frankly if they get their money back I cannot see what they will achieve anyway other than cause your family misery.

Only you can decide if your daughter has learnt her lesson. As for your credit record, if you chose to accept the debt just to help your daughter then it will only stay for 6 years after settlement, if you do not need credit in that time then it will not really affect you, if you do need credit then perhaps it is not that serious to warrent refusal, you can ask the agencies to add a personal note to your file (explain what happened and that you chose not to press charges but do not name who).