Advice re Scottish Power

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a problem with Scottish Power.

We have an old elec account with sp that is in dispute. We have written several letters to them regarding this response from sp is basically tough and pay up or else.

the amount of the bill was about £730 for about 6 months usage. This amount is more than double what we were paying to powergen.

We also have a gas account with sp. Because we couldn't agree the elec account with sp they have now added the £730 to our gas account and sent us a bill for over £1300 for gas on the the same day we received a letter from Scotcall demanding payment along with a list of threats ie pre-payment meters, cut off, bailiffs and lock smiths etc.

Any payment proposals we have made have been refused by sp.

Where do we go from here?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent :)

Guest Ruthie P

Lan - A. They cannot cut off your electricity if they do not supply you! B. Write to them and ask them how they come to the decision that you owe them this amount of money, ask for a complete set of readings dates and unit prices inc standing charge and payments made against the account. C. Set up a standing order with the amount that you can afford to pay towards the debt while this is in dispute, if it turns out you owe less, put it towards your gas account or get a refund. Dont forget to keep paying your gas account bills on top of this as you dont want to end up in arrears with that too. In the letter, give them 14 days to reply and state that if they fail to do so you will go to energywatch, that should get the ball rolling.

Let me know how you get on.

Ruth

Hi Ruth

It's not my elec they're threatening to cut off but my gas as they have added the outstanding elec account onto my gas account. :(

Can they do that?

We have repeatedly asked them for a full breakdown but get nowhere with them.

I have just sent them a letter again asking for a full breakdown and a cheque for £30 have also included that in cashing the cheque they will be accepting a payment of £30 per calander month to clear off the outstanding account or words to that effect.

Have also asked for details to set up a standing order so that the payments can be made.

I will wait and see if they cash the cheque but I think I will still get in touch with Energywatch for some advice.

I'll let you know what happens.

Lan

Just checked my account today and they have cashed my cheque.

I will send the SAR to them this week, but does anyone know if they can add the old outstanding elec account onto my current gas account?

Simple answer is yes they can. However there is a caveat to that answer.

In practice it is better to keep the accounts separate for both auditing and debt recovery purposes. Disputes such as yours can and do frequently occur, and it is easier to trace back through a disputed amount if the accounts are kept separate, otherwise you'll end up jumping between account records.

In relation to the threats of disconnection, unless you are in prolonged arrears with the actual gas charges then there is little they can do as the bulk of the alleged debt comes from the transfer of the old electric account. Should it come to a warrant stage you will need to be prepared to go to the magistrates court where the application for a warrant is being made and contend the application. You will need documentary proof of your contention though to provide to the magistrates, this can consist of the final bill, the bill showing the balance transfer to the gas account and new supplier bills.

The normal course of debt recovery for an old (closed) account is to pass it to a DCA and eventually for a CCJ.

I would strongly recommend that you contact Energywatch sooner rather than later.

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.

I recevied a reply from SP this morning refusing my offer of repayment and demanding £673 and then monthly repayments of between £100 and £150 per month. I have submitted my complaint to Energywatch this morning and requested a SAR from SP.

I will wait and see what happens now.

Received a visit from warrant officer claiming to be from Scotcall!!

No prior notification of his visit, said he was here on behalf of SP to collect a debt. I told him the debt was in dispute and showed him the letter received this morning from SP. I also told him I had this morning been in contact with Energywatch. He said he would send the debt back to SP saying that it was in dispute.

Any advice on what to do about this visit or should I just leave it and wait to hear from Energywatch and SP?

Energywatch contacted me yesterday and we now have the matter resolved, I have been given a contact name and telephone number for a guy at SP if I get any more problems. He has agreed a repayment plan for the outstanding account and has agreed no further action will be taken.

Result!!!