CCA's and Dave against the world !!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4514 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Dave!

Happy New Year to you.

Going back to your Amex alleged Agreement at Post #1089:

amexagreement.jpg

Assuming this was for a Credit Card (and not a Charge Card, not that I think it matters), and apart from the fact it's a nasty Copy with no sign of any Prescribed Terms...I think it is improperly executed because they have used the wrong Heading for the Agreement section of the Application Form.

They've neglected to add the word Card.

Here's some bumf I've posted elsewhere that may help:

See: Consumer Credit Act (1974) and related Regulations

It has the wrong Heading if they want this Application Form to become a Credit Card Agreement. They've omitted the word Card. See Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 SI 1983/1553. Schedule 1 of SI 1983/1553 (see link above) says (1(d) applies to your Card):

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) below, a heading in one of the following forms of words--

(a) "Hire Purchase Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974";

(b) "Conditional Sale Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974";

© "Fixed Sum Loan Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974"; or

(d) "Credit Card Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974",as the case may require.

(2) If none of the headings in 1(a) to (d) above are applicable a heading in the following form of words--

"Credit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974".

(3) Where the document and a pawn-receipt are combined, the words ", and Pawn Receipt," shall be inserted in the heading after the word

"Agreement".

(4) Where the document embodies an agreement of which at least one part is a credit agreement not regulated by the Act, the word "partly" shall be inserted before "regulated" unless the regulated and unregulated parts of the agreement are clearly separate.

(5) Where the credit is being secured on land the words "secured on" followed by the address of the land shall be inserted at the end of the

heading.

That alone may well render the thing they are claiming is an Agreement, as being an improperly-executed regulated agreement and so enforceable against the debtor or hirer on an order of the court only (s65).

They can't therefore do squat without getting a Court Order, and if they try that, they'll have some issues with s127(3).

Amex will, of course, do their usual trick of swearing blind the Prescribed Terms were on the back of this thing! But I suspect they'll be picking on the wrong person if they think you'll be impressed by that!

Cheers,

BRW

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Dave!

Happy New Year to you.

Going back to your Amex alleged Agreement at Post #1089:

amexagreement.jpg

Assuming this was for a Credit Card (and not a Charge Card, not that I think it matters), and apart from the fact it's a nasty Copy with no sign of any Prescribed Terms...I think it is improperly executed because they have used the wrong Heading for the Agreement section of the Application Form.

They've neglected to add the word Card.

Here's some bumf I've posted elsewhere that may help:

See: Consumer Credit Act (1974) and related Regulations

It has the wrong Heading if they want this Application Form to become a Credit Card Agreement. They've omitted the word Card. See Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 SI 1983/1553. Schedule 1 of SI 1983/1553 (see link above) says (1(d) applies to your Card):

That alone may well render the thing they are claiming is an Agreement, as being an improperly-executed regulated agreement and so enforceable against the debtor or hirer on an order of the court only (s65).

They can't therefore do squat without getting a Court Order, and if they try that, they'll have some issues with s127(3).

Amex will, of course, do their usual trick of swearing blind the Prescribed Terms were on the back of this thing! But I suspect they'll be picking on the wrong person if they think you'll be impressed by that!

Cheers,

BRW

Thanks for the input.......yes it was for a credit card.....and not only doesnt it have the prescribed terms........it doesnt have there NAME AND ADDRESS either, or a proper header, along with a load of other stuff missing and the bottom of the doc torn off :)

and yes they have sent me about 20-30 pages of A4 with some nicely printed terms and conditions that they swear were on the back.....hmmmmm

I dont owe them a penny as I settled up before I realised what a bunch of cowboys they were.

This will not stop me from pursuing them though...I want my interest back :)

rgds

Dave

• Haha 1

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

hi guys...

I posed a question on the main CCA thread and I feel it is a valid point......

if an agreement is improperly executed, should they have charged interest on it ? or should interest only start from proper execution?? and ALL money previously paid go towards clearing the debt??

A link to this new discussion thread is here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/176726-improperly-executed-agreements-correct.html

ALL thoughts and comments welcomed

rgds

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Hi guys.....

I would appreciate comments on this RBS agreement. I have my own thoughts but would like a different view......

its in two parts but the second part (where the sigs are ) is ok...just ancillary stuff.

Agreement is dated 4/11/05. so 2004 agreements regs apply and it seems as though the prescribed terms are there.

PPI was put onto this and I have already opened a dispute regarding it. I was self employed and they knew at the time that it was useless.

So we have a multiple agreement one part an any purpose loan and the second the ppi was a restricted use loan d-c-s type

I think there should have been TWO agreements not all lumped together

Anyway thoughts please

rbsloan1.jpg

sorry if the figures arent that clear....

I'll copy it here

key financial information

A loan......................... £15071

b term......................... 60 months

c total amount payable.... £17971.80

d installments................. 60 x £299.53 loan £238.49 ppi £61.04

e apr..............................7.4%

Other financial information

a purpose and amount of loan £12000 ...to finance other debt

b insurance loan...................£3071

c total charge......................£2900.80....comprising interest £2900.80...admin £0.00

d annual rate of interest ........7.16%

e payment allocation......etc

rgds

Dave

Edited by davefirewalker

Any chance, any ideas, any comments ..................??

BTW as an aside take a look at this thread....>http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/176992-ccjs-only-option-us.html

these guys need some proper help

Dve

nope......I basically used it to pay off some cc debts and stuff

dave

Hi guys.....

I would appreciate comments on this RBS agreement. I have my own thoughts but would like a different view......

its in two parts but the second part (where the sigs are ) is ok...just ancillary stuff.

Agreement is dated 4/11/05. so 2004 agreements regs apply and it seems as though the prescribed terms are there.

PPI was put onto this and I have already opened a dispute regarding it. I was self employed and they knew at the time that it was useless.

So we have a multiple agreement one part an any purpose loan and the second the ppi was a restricted use loan d-c-s type

I think there should have been TWO agreements not all lumped together

Anyway thoughts please

rbsloan1.jpg

I'll copy it here

A loan......................... £15071

b term......................... 60 months

d installments................. 60 x £299.53 loan £238.49 ppi £61.04

e apr..............................7.4%

b insurance loan...................£3071

c total charge......................£2900.80....comprising interest £2900.80...admin £0.00

rgds

Dave

rbsloan2new-1.jpg

Thought I'd better put the second page up as well......

notice in the sigbox for the PPI (which is in dispute in any case) there is a tickbox (very small ) and where it says "I/we understand that I/we am/are purchasing the product ticked above" well its NOT TICKED........

and if it was a multiple agreement in any case surely the sig box for the ppi should also have that it is regulated by the consumer credit act......

thoughts

Dave

Edited by davefirewalker

I see no ticks:D

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

same ere

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I can't see a tick in the box either, although my kids do call me Mrs Magoo 8-)

xx

Hey....it took me over 12months of looking to find it ...:)

Dave

I see no ticks:D

Me neither:D

notice in the sigbox for the PPI (which is in dispute in any case) there is a tickbox (very small ) and where it says "I/we understand that I/we am/are purchasing the product ticked above" well its NOT TICKED........

and if it was a multiple agreement in any case surely the sig box for the ppi should also have that it is regulated by the consumer credit act......

thoughts

Dave

I will have to read pt's thread again, however, I was under the impression that if it was a multi agreement.. each part had to have its own terms and conditions and signature.:confused:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

rbsloan1-1.jpg

I'll copy it here

A loan..................... .... £15071

b term..................... .... 60 months

d installments............. .... 60 x £299.53 loan £238.49 ppi £61.04

e apr...................... ........7.4%

b insurance loan...................£3 071

c total charge................... ...£2900.80....comprising interest £2900.80...admin £0.00

rbsloan2new-1.jpg

thoughts

Dave

Just thought I'd bring this back to the front for comments......

Dave

Edited by davefirewalker

Could really do with a definetive answer.......I have my own theories, but a second pair of eyes would be good.........Paul...hint hint :)

Dave

Update........

After my recent flurry of letters and lba's.....Barclaycard (ex morgan stanley) from whom I'm claining charges, have written.....

"We are sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction....blah blah blah.......we pride ourselves on the high level of customer service...etc......

We aim to try to resolve matters by 02 Feb........etc"

looks like they are the first in court...the LBA runs out in a few days

Once this is out of the way, I can concentrate on the main thrust :)

rgds

Dave

mbna recieved my cca request on 3rd DEC then i send them reminder CCA letter and i stop my direct debit today 16 JAN i recieve mbna reply for my cca request please see attached ZIP please help what next?

What they have sent you probably complies with a s77-78 request.......although if the had the original why didnt they just photocopy it and send it on?????

try looking here...> http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/173201-why-you-shouldnt-use.html

try this approach and see if it gets you anywhere..........but read it first and try to understand the process

Rgds

Dave

Hi guys......

Serious head on for a moment.....:(

Over the past few weeks I've had some pm's from people, Enquiring as to how to go about what I am comtemplating........as regards reclaiming interest paid.

BE WARNED....it is not suitable for everyone, the risks are huge and the chances of winning are only so-so.......the costs involved could be enormous.

I hate to state the obvious...if you have to ask, then you obviously havent looked deeply enough into it. you need to know the subject inside out. Its not really something where you can "wing it"

I have studied the caselaw and precedents, and the relevant laws over the last 18 months or so and to my belief,

*** I *** have a case.

This will probably go to a high court and the costs to the losing party will be huge.

If you are contemplating such an action, I would put it on hold for the time being (unless you are a secret millionaire)

Serious head off now..........:)

rgds to all

Dave

Edited by davefirewalker

Hello Dave!

I agree.

Perhaps a simpler tactic for many who are in the position of, say, having a Credit Card that has a duff Agreement, and where they have repaid more on a Credit Card than they ever spent on it over the life of the account, then they should just ask for the difference back.

i.e. it was paid by mistake. The Creditor had no Right to charge Interest and other Charges, so they can be totally discounted from the issue.

IOW, in such an example, perhaps go for the mistake angle rather than the repayment of Interest angle.

To give one example, I have a Credit Card with a pants Agreement. I spent 72k approx in 10/11 Years and yet repaid them around 78k.

They now want over 20k, but that's the net total of their Interest and Charges over the 10/11 Years when linked to my spending and repayments. But they were not entitled to that Interest and those Charges.

Add up what they did charge, and it comes to around 26k.

If they have an Agreement, then we end up with:

+72K Spending

+26k Charges

-78k Repayments

============

20k Balance they say I owe them.

But if they do not have an Agreement, and their Interest and Charges were never valid, then they can be removed from the equation. We end up with this instead:

+72K Spending

-78k Repayments

============

-6k Negative Balance...IOW, they owe me +6k!

Thus, I'm not re-claiming Interest, so I'm not going to be basing my Claim on any complex issues. I just want back the extra that I did not need to pay.

I do appreciate you may've considered this.

I do also stress that this is really only of use if there is a clear surplus of payments over spending.

Cheers,

BRW

I would just like to add, that I have been in contact by PM with Dave discussing this type of action.

I MUST RE-ITERATE WHAT DAVE HAS JUST SAID;

THIS TYPE OF CASE IS ALMOST CERTAIN TO END UP IN A HIGH COURT, AND THE COST RISKS OF LOSING WOULD BE ENORMOUS !!

Similar cases have indeed been brought by others in the past, and even won, but such people normally had legal representation (or came to an agreement out of court).

So be very wary of pursuing such an action, even if you feel confident you have a good case, understand the principles and law, and confident of being able to argue your case. Remember:

You will be up against very experienced professional barristers and lawyers, who do this kind of stuff every day..... and also charge enormous fees, which will be included in your costs liabilities should you lose !!

We are contemplating another possible approach to this at the moment, so do not lose heart.... our day will come.

We would be interested in perhaps hearing from anyone who thinks they may have a strong case, and were perhaps contemplating similar actions.

I will start a thread and post up a link, please add your name to it, and and we will contact you in due course once we have decided what to do here.

Do not worry if we do not get back to you straight away, it does not mean we are not interested in your case, we just need to talk and think things through first.

PM

Edited by photoman
Thread may be a better idea than PM's

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Hello Dave!

I agree.

Perhaps a simpler tactic for many who are in the position of, say, having a Credit Card that has a duff Agreement, and where they have repaid more on a Credit Card than they ever spent on it over the life of the account, then they should just ask for the difference back.

i.e. it was paid by mistake. The Creditor had no Right to charge Interest and other Charges, so they can be totally discounted from the issue.

IOW, in such an example, perhaps go for the mistake angle rather than the repayment of Interest angle.

To give one example, I have a Credit Card with a pants Agreement. I spent 72k approx in 10/11 Years and yet repaid them around 78k.

They now want over 20k, but that's the net total of their Interest and Charges over the 10/11 Years when linked to my spending and repayments. But they were not entitled to that Interest and those Charges.

Add up what they did charge, and it comes to around 26k.

If they have an Agreement, then we end up with:

+72K Spending

+26k Charges

-78k Repayments

============

20k Balance they say I owe them.

But if they do not have an Agreement, and their Interest and Charges were never valid, then they can be removed from the equation. We end up with this instead:

+72K Spending

-78k Repayments

============

-6k Negative Balance...IOW, they owe me +6k!

Thus, I'm not re-claiming Interest, so I'm not going to be basing my Claim on any complex issues. I just want back the extra that I did not need to pay.

I do appreciate you may've considered this.

I do also stress that this is really only of use if there is a clear surplus of payments over spending.

Cheers,

BRW

There is also nothing wrong (apart from your own morals that is) with getting the agreement declared unenforceable, and getting a write off.

I would not reproach anyone for that stance, as Bennion stated "if they cant be bothered to get the detail right they deserve to lose all right to the money" I paraphrase of course

rgds

dave

If you think you may have a similar case, and perhaps contemplating similar actions then please post your interest here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/178176-contemplating-similar-case.html#post1923114

PM

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !