Offer Changed - terms attatched after acceptance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5137 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya

IO did post this on my exixting thread which is in the success's sub forum a few days ago but have had olny one reply which was not really related to the question, this is why i have started a new thread.

ok so bit of background,

i have done

SAR

PRE LIM

LBA

then got an offer for full settlement

the letter attached stated that the settlement amount would be paid by chq as account was closed, it was a goodwill gesture etc etc. no terms were attached to this.

We sent back the signed acceptance form

then i had a letter that stated

As the account is not closed we will credit the account and then send you the remaining funds

I spoke to my friend and apparently the overdraft went to a debt collection agency. and then onto a solicitor.

the overdraft was 900 , when the account was closed it had charges added to it which made the total 1100.

My friend has no problem paying this as the charges form part of the settlement figure and she wants to clear the debt anyway.

the only problem she has is that the debt collecting agencie/solicitors etc have been adding charges and now the total is about 1500. she wants to pay what she owes but not the charges. she is also in negotiation. with them about when she is gonna pay it back as natwest will not discuss the ooutstanding amount as they say its now with an external company etc etc

their was no mention of this in the original offer letter etc (i didnt know about this at all until now or i would have let it go to court as i now you can demand a chq for full amount then)

So bascially my question is

are they Legally allowed to change an offer by adding additional t&C's after the offer has been accepted,

Its so strange to me as they stated they will olny pay by chq and quoted the full amount the chq will be, and now they are not going to.

So any help on where to go from now would be really appreciated

No. You accepted the payment by cheque, end of. Write back to them that it is your money, and you will decide what you will pay and where, and that you will discontinue your action once the cheque has cleared into the account of your choice.

Have you sent back a letter rejecting this offer? How much is the debt reduced to as a result?

well, as the original letter of acceptance stated that the payment would be made in full by cheque, we sent back the standered acceptance form

it was a week later it was confirmed that all the funds would now be given to credit control to pay the debt, the claim is for 2600, the debt is 1500, but it is in dispute as this has nearly doubled over the past 2 years.

i wrote a letter for my friend to Natwest on friday which stated,

that the funds are to be paid to ms ** in full as outlined in the original offer letter that was sent by Natwest.

It also queried how they are allowed to change offers after they have been accepted and i did query if it was legal,

i also did state at the bottom of the form that if we do not have any chq or correspondance confirming that the settlement amount would be paid in full to my friend, that we would take them to court and add on the costs/interest etc

do you know if offers are alowed to be changed after they have been accepted in writting?? cause in efffect this is what they have done

Guest NATTIE

ok, so is the claim more than the amount owed to them? The reason i ask is simply that whether by cash or cheque the debt still remains outstanding. Is there another claim outstanding on the same account, ie more charges since the beginning?

the debt is less than the amount owed, my friend just has more impportant debts she needs to clear first which is why she needs it by chq

she also has no other accounts she can claim from

Guest NATTIE

what i meant was the impression was that she had had more charges on the account while it was in dispute. I am not sure if they can do that because of the wording on the letter... but the debt is wiped out one less thing to worry about. I think you will have to wait for a response from NatWest. Did you give them a deadline?

I did, i gave them until friday the 27th. the debt collection agensie have added there own charges on top of the sum added to natwest. natwest waant these back aswell. if worse comes to the worse we will claim these back seperatly.

hopefully they will just send a cheque. I just wish my friend had told me she owed them money before i started claiming,

it would have been easier if the id had the full picture from the start, but hey, to late for what if's