David Lloyd Leisure

poodge
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6165 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wondering what peoples experience of David Lloyd Leisure is. I have been a member of the Port Solent (Portsmouth) Gym for a year now. Late last year I found myself out of work, this wasn't redundancy, the contract of employment wasnt renewed. I continued to use the gym whilst looking for other work and was sure I would only be out of work for a short time. Five months on and im still unemployed and hav used all my savings up. I begin a job next month and should have money available in June. In February I contacted staff at David Lloyd to ask if they would freeze my membership until I started earning again but was told I needed to give 3 months notice. So I said I'd cancel the membership which thjey told me would be fine but required 3 months notice also! It reminded me of the Little Britain sketch "Computer says no!". Eventually I decided to stop my DD as I had no money to pay the monthly fee. Before I did this I wrote to the local Manager asking if they would please allow me to repay the money in June. I didnt want to use the gym whilst my fees outstanding. I was told that no exception can be made, even though I explained I had no money. I have even offered to make small paymets on a monthly basis which was rejected. I wrote to the MD of David Lloyd and received the same answer "No exceptions can be made." Im now being threatened with a debt collection agency. I know its strictly my fault as I signed the agreement but they seem a bit heartless.

Cheers,:(

You're not alone, and their inflexibility will be their downfall in the months and years to come. Check your agreement and see if they disclose your financial information to 3rd parties (like credit reference agencies), if they do - they'll not much else you can do.

You could write back saying that due to their attitude you have no option but to give notice of termination with immediate effect, and due to your financial circumstances will pay the outstanding balance of £XXX over X months, which is all you can reasonably afford. Referring the matter to external collection will not seep the repayment plan.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on my situation. I had written to the MD of David LLoyd and asked him to intervene but got a letter back saying he couldnt make an exception and I needed to pay up. So I had been waiting for the next stroppy letter from the local Branch of DL when I received a really nice one saying they noticed I had missed my two monthly payments and was there a problem they could help with. So I wrote back explaining that I had no job and all money I was receiving was going on living expenses but I could afford £15 per month to clear the debt up. Last week I received a response to my letter from the centre manager again insisting on the full £60 per month but I can pay it over May, June and July. Looks like there is no escaping paying them but I think they may well get it in pennies :p