• Tweets

• we dont get N157 because its new OCMC but no court dont have evidence either.   Just seems a bit of a pointless wait but oh well
    • Post #9 suggested some options to avoid or put off having a smart meter. Post #12 a simple solution to your complaint about the ay they handle fixed monthly DD. It's not really clear why you posted if you're going get irate when members "jump in" with suggestions. You can see what I'm referring to on "gasracker.uk" to allay your suspicion that I was lying in Post #16 which was made to correct ther misinformation shown in your Post #15
    • Back to octopus from the smart meter/tariff salesperson. Octopus have now said just ignore the letter - I dont have to have one despite there letter implying (at least) it was required, but that i will HAVE to have a smart meter if current meters stop working as 'their suppliers dont supply non smart meters any more'. They also say they do not/will not disable any smart functionality when they fit a smart meter I am of course going to challenge that. Thats their choice of meter fitter/supplier problem not mine
    • Point taken that we should inform new Caggers that the £20 option is there in wrong registration cases.  Well, supposedly there, who knows what the PPCs would do in practice.  Anyway, the option is allegedly there with both the BPA as you say, but also the IPC (I've just checked). However, there's a danger here of baby, bathwater. The two easiest types of cases to win are (a) residential - due to Supremacy of Contract and (b) wrong registration - due to "de minimis".  Indeed until recently we has been boasting that no Caggers, over two years, who had sent a PPC the wrong registration snotty letter, had even been taken to court, let alone lost a court hearing. We simply can do nothing about a terrible judge.  The judge seems - I say seems because we haven't had all the details - to have ignored "de minimis",. got fixated on a sign and awarded unreasonable behaviour costs.  A totally bizarre judgement.
    • You mean your witness statement 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Alex the Lad v. Abbey

alex_the_lad
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5265 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys! I've been a long time lurker on this forum but recently (well 13th March) I started the process of reclaiming my hard earned cash from those guys at Abbey. I sent my first letter and got statements going back to Feb 2006 two weeks ago with a promise that statements going back further would be dispatched ASAP. I finally got an interesting letter in the post today, that basically aplogised for the delay and undertook to get the remaining info to me ASAP. They also refunded my tenner! BUT here's the interesting bit (well it was to me!). Basically they have sent me a spreadsheet summarising all the charges they've applied to my bank account since January 2004 with a neat summary of the total amounts. Has anyone else had this? Does it even mean anything?

Also on the subject of reclaiming - are there any charges that I can't reasonable claim back? On my statement I am charged for the following:

Direct debit charges (32 each)

Unpaid cheque charges (35 each)

Unauthorised overdraft fees (15 each)

Thanks in advance.

A

:) Captial One - Won!

:) Egg Card - Won!

:confused: Abbey National - Stayed pending Test Case Judgement

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alex

I had the very same letter today also refunding my £10. I am a little suspicious of Abbey and the spreadsheet, how do we know everytning is on there????? I wouldn't put it past them to miss a few charges off but i don't have anything to varify what they say they have charged!

I am also missing info from before 2004, this will follow shortly - So they say!

Looks like we are at the same stage i'll keep looking in on your progress

Good luck

Sutherm

Guest Big Lash

Direct debit charges (32 each)

Unpaid cheque charges (35 each)

Unauthorised overdraft fees (15 each)

Thanks in advance.

A

Hello, all those are fine, so are cleared transactions, and anything else that is a penalty charge.

As to the spreadsheet summery, Yes, I have heard that its begining to happen. A word of caution, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw Triton house ( not that i think they are dishonest:D of course, just queery their adminlol), and if it was me i would like to compare it, somehow, with something more like a statement.

I beleieve this topic will be debated further, so keep an eye on the forum and see how it transpires.

Good luck

BL

Hi! Thanks for the replies guys! I'm definately gonna put together my own summary of charges based on the statements. Just looking at the statements I have, there is a trend where I have a series of 4-5 months where the charges kind of roll over. What I mean is that say in Jan 04 I had charges applied dues to writing 2 cheques worth 40 quid and then missing two direct debits totalling 35 quid. As a result I had charges added that month amounting to 134 quid which when added to the 75 quid ensured I had a debt of 202 the next month. At the time I was on a much lower income and I feel that Abbey made a really bad situation much worse for me.

Anyway I wish you guys the best of luck as well and Sutherm I will keep reading your thread to see how things are going for you.

All the best.

:) Captial One - Won!

:) Egg Card - Won!

:confused: Abbey National - Stayed pending Test Case Judgement

And me, but as I say on my thread, when Abbey defend at court stage, they ask for a breakdown of each charge and how it was applied so this spreadsheet is about as much use as a chochie firegaurd.

I am of the opinion (and it's only MY opinion) that this is just another tactic to trip up the unwary.

Write back insisting on all transactional data, even if it is photocopied microfiche. They've gotta give it if you've SAR'd them.

Good luck with your reclaiming. :)

Guest Big Lash
And me, but as I say on my thread, when Abbey defend at court stage, they ask for a breakdown of each charge and how it was applied so this spreadsheet is about as much use as a chochie firegaurd.

I am of the opinion (and it's only MY opinion) that this is just another tactic to trip up the unwary.

Write back insisting on all transactional data, even if it is photocopied microfiche. They've gotta give it if you've SAR'd them.

Good luck with your reclaiming. :)

Agree totally

Ok, that seems sensible... Anyone any idea if there is a template for this request anywhere..

I want to sound like I know exactly what I am talking about !!

I won against MBNA, Nat West , Barclays, Barclaycard and PPI payments from Barclaycard

Abbey National still to go.... what will I do with my spare time?

Hi Alex

I had the very same letter today also refunding my £10. I am a little suspicious of Abbey and the spreadsheet, how do we know everytning is on there????? I wouldn't put it past them to miss a few charges off but i don't have anything to varify what they say they have charged!

I am also missing info from before 2004, this will follow shortly - So they say!

Looks like we are at the same stage i'll keep looking in on your progress

Good luck

Sutherm

I had 13 statements 2wks ago, and I too received the letter of charges the same as you today. When I compared them to the statements they had sent they all tallyed up, as I was a little concerned that they may of taken some of the charges off the spreadsheet. For once they seem to have got it right.

Just as a thought, isn't it about time the tables were turned on Abbey? They are demanding information from the customer that they (Abbey) already have in their filing systems, and are insisting we the get info from them, and then send it back to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If these new spreadsheets Abbey are dishing out do not contain the information the customer requires, and that Abbey require back from the customer(!!!!), then surely they have fallen foul of the DP Act. Can that fact not be used against them in Court? Seems Abbey have sunk to even greater depths with this one:evil:

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

Hi,

I was kind of pleased to find this thread as I too received exactly the same letter and spreadsheet yesterday and was pondering how to proceed from here. I've been thinking it through and feel that we should insist on full microfiched statements as when we come to tot up our claim using the spreadsheets on here this form of information gives us no way of workng out how much interest they have charged us on these penalties. ( i.e no monthly interest amount, date or account balance info)

Is this a way of them trying to reduce costs by wheedling out of the interest part...?

Any advice gratefuly received:confused:

ellie

Hi,

I was kind of pleased to find this thread as I too received exactly the same letter and spreadsheet yesterday and was pondering how to proceed from here. I've been thinking it through and feel that we should insist on full microfiched statements as when we come to tot up our claim using the spreadsheets on here this form of information gives us no way of workng out how much interest they have charged us on these penalties. ( i.e no monthly interest amount, date or account balance info)

Is this a way of them trying to reduce costs by wheedling out of the interest part...?

Any advice gratefuly received:confused:

ellie

Ellie,

I received exactly the same spreadsheet. When I go to claim, I am going to use the date of the 7th for each month to work out the interest, as that is the date that they generally taken the charges out for the past year. If they dont like then, then they should of supplied us with more info to start with.

That is unless anyone else with more knowledge can help us and tell us a better way of working out the interest as they havent supplied the exact date the charge came out.

Good Luck with your claim. Julie

Guest Big Lash
Ok, that seems sensible... Anyone any idea if there is a template for this request anywhere..

I want to sound like I know exactly what I am talking about !!

It depends what your original sars request said. If it was the standard one, then write to them using template 1 (if you have not had the 40 days)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/6986-data-protection-act-non.html

hope this helps

BL

it might be worth someone placing a call to the information commissioners office asking if they that this is an acceptable way of fulfilling the SAR, personally, i dont think it is, something stinks, if you query it with abbey and they say the the fiche were unreadable, how the hell did they get the information?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Hi all,

I received the exact same on 19th April, giving me a summary back to January 2004. What a fright that gave me, over £5,300 in charges I never knew it was so much!! Also a promise to send duplicate statements within 5-7 days, well we will see if they do. Also promised and I quote " If your account was opened before January 2004 details of charges for this period will follow as asoon as possible" I will give them the 5-7 days , then I am unsure whether to write to them or the commissioners office.

hi all, I too have recieved exactly the same letter and spread sheet in post today,with promise of imformation back to 2001 to follow shortly. Already recieved statements back to January 2006.Think I will give them another 7 days, then send them a gentle reminder that I'm still waiting for rest.This is obviously a new tactic they are trying as so many of recieved identical letters within a few days of each other.

good luck to all,and keep posting to keep each informed as we all seem to be at same stage.

bye for now :) :) :) :)

Barbs26.

Me too,had the shabbey spreadsheet saturday morning and the microfiche only 4 charges on the microfiche but a whack on the spreadsheet total charges £2,760.00 plus interest at the statuory rate that the court will award £341.69 total £3.101.69 what interest rate is anybody else using

Have any of the posts above recieved the rest of the charges yet for before 2004??

How long do we wait for them to send it if the 40 days are up and you have sent reminder letters?

Hi,

No, I have still not received the charges prior to 2004 and their 40 days were up on Sunday just gone. I gave them the benefit of 2nd class post and still hadnt received them yesterday, so I sent them a non compliance letter telling them they had 7days otherwise I would issue a court claim and report them to both the FSA and ICO.

I also put this following point in the letter to them.

You have failed to provide details of the exact dates the charges were taken from my account for the period from Jan 2004 through to December 2004.

I am also filling in a DPA complaint form just incase Abbey dont send me the info by next wednesday.

On a different note, have you seen the latest OFT statement that was released today? I received a copy via email detailing the reasons for the market study and what they hope to achieve. Its about 8 pages long.

Regards Julie xx

Thanks Julie for the reply

How do I get hold of the OFT statement?

I have downloaded the complaints form ready to complete

(Sorry Alex for high-jacking your thread)

Hi,

Have you started your own thread? if so, let me know what it is that way we can stick together as it seems that we are at the same stage. My thread is jules1973 v abbey.

In answer to your question this is the weblink to the statement released by the OFT today. The Office of Fair Trading: OFT launches market study into personal current accounts

Kindest regards Julie

Having had spreadsheet letter from Abbey I got phocopies of microfiche for 01 - 03 yesterday but rest still outstanding.

I did write on 18th to say I wanted everything since account was opened so I'm gonna email later today and give them a list and a gentle reminder that the clocks still ticking and the alarm bell might ring any minute. :-)

Having had spreadsheet letter from Abbey I got phocopies of microfiche for 01 - 03 yesterday but rest still outstanding.

I did write on 18th to say I wanted everything since account was opened so I'm gonna email later today and give them a list and a gentle reminder that the clocks still ticking and the alarm bell might ring any minute. :-)

Rob

Do you have the email address handy, as I am still waiting on 2001-2003, and even though they would of received a letter from me today, I would like to be a thorn in their side and bug them, till they are sick of me.

many thanks

Julie