Halifax Mortgage recoveries issue

GoNz0

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5267 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning, i have just had a letter from the Halifax about a mortgage i had more than 6 years ago.

can i just reply with the usual statue barred on the limitations act as its over 6 years since they last had contact with me ?

the letter states a shortfall of 4967.68 of which 2027 remains outstanding.

the letter states they are willing to accept £1000 or £25 a month till the 2000 is paid.

either way i have just lost my job and am planning on setting up on my own, so i have no money for them anyway.

the final thing is the fact there asking for money on a mortgage at the wrong house, they have the street number wrong, so does anyone know how i stand on them having the wrong address listed on this threat letter ?

thanks for any help you can give. I just got married and i am worried the wife may also now be liable so i need to know where i stand on that. i am not listed as a mortgage payer here as everything is in the wifes name as it was already her house when i moved in.

Morning, i have just had a letter from the Halifax about a mortgage i had more than 6 years ago.

can i just reply with the usual statue barred on the limitations act as its over 6 years since they last had contact with me ?

A mortgage is not statute-barred until 12 years.... although there has been some talk about new legislation on re-claiming shortfall debts after 6 years.

the letter states a shortfall of 4967.68 of which 2027 remains outstanding.

the letter states they are willing to accept £1000 or £25 a month till the 2000 is paid.

This is not a huge amount, so try not to worry. You may be able to reduce this amount further by sending a Subject Access Request in order to find out if any charges have been applied to the acount. it sounds like there might be.... or they wouldn't have offered to settle for £1k.

either way i have just lost my job and am planning on setting up on my own, so i have no money for them anyway.

the final thing is the fact there asking for money on a mortgage at the wrong house, they have the street number wrong, so does anyone know how i stand on them having the wrong address listed on this threat letter ?

Probably just a mistake.... you know whether you had the mortgage or not and as it's still with the original creditor, so will they.

thanks for any help you can give. I just got married and i am worried the wife may also now be liable so i need to know where i stand on that. i am not listed as a mortgage payer here as everything is in the wifes name as it was already her house when i moved in.

If your wife wasn't on the original mortage, then she won't be liable for anything.

:)

well it was a 30k house, 5k deposit, was there a couple of years so they had at least 7k out of me. and the house was worth at least 50k when sold, so i would love to see this list of charges. am i right assuming i can get all charges wiped for charges i have had against me for late payment etc ?

if this is the case as I would guess it would leave them owing me money !!!

if that did turn out to be the case would halifax owe me money or would they be able to slime out of it ?

fact still remains as of last week i no longer have an income and will be living off the mrs until such a time my soon to be new business starts making me money, based on this should i ask the debt be written off, or just ask for an SAR and take things from there ?

thanks for the reply priorityone :)

another annoying fact is when they originally contacted my previous addy (dads) he phoned and said i was long gone and could he pay the money, they said no !

and the 2nd fact is, when way back then, the reason i moved out was due to my former partner getting pregnant off her ex and me leaving the house. i tried to sign the mortgage over to her as she wanted and halifax wouldnt let me as i was out of work ??? i dont understand the thinking behind that, but halifax had a get out twice and turned it down !

well it was a 30k house, 5k deposit, was there a couple of years so they had at least 7k out of me. and the house was worth at least 50k when sold, so i would love to see this list of charges. am i right assuming i can get all charges wiped for charges i have had against me for late payment etc ?

if this is the case as I would guess it would leave them owing me money !!!

Yes... all unlawful charges can be re-claimed.... reducing the amount they are chasing you for :).

if that did turn out to be the case would halifax owe me money or would they be able to slime out of it ?

If you follow the procedures on here for re-claiming monies owed to you.... they will probably cough up rather than be asked to explain their charges to a court. Banks will try and avoid this like the plague !! ;)

fact still remains as of last week i no longer have an income and will be living off the mrs until such a time my soon to be new business starts making me money, based on this should i ask the debt be written off, or just ask for an SAR and take things from there ?

I would ask for the SAR in case they owe you money. They are very unlikely to just write the debt off anyway.... at best, they will try and offer you a what they've already offered you.

thanks for the reply priorityone :)

another annoying fact is when they originally contacted my previous addy (dads) he phoned and said i was long gone and could he pay the money, they said no !

Typical..

and the 2nd fact is, when way back then, the reason i moved out was due to my former partner getting pregnant off her ex and me leaving the house. That's terrible !! :evil: i tried to sign the mortgage over to her as she wanted and halifax wouldnt let me as i was out of work ??? i dont understand the thinking behind that, but halifax had a get out twice and turned it down !

When you send off the SAR, remember to send it by rec. delivery, so that you know when the 40 days for compliance begins (from their receipt of it).

:)