Lowell's - Credit Search

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6197 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have just got my on line credit file from Equifax and I am horrified to see that Lowells did a debt collection credit search on me back in 2004. I have never defaulted on anything and am extremely cross to see this on my file. My other half has been in dispute with Lowells/1st Credit/Mackenzie Hall in connection with an alleged debt with his ex. If I am nothing to do with this alleged debt surely they have no right to make a credit check on me. I have written to Equifax on this matter and await a response. Can I make them remove this?

As I understand it they can do a search on you because you are living at the same address and are therefore associated to this person. Are you married? Again as I understand it (but someone correct me if I am wrong) you will have to dis-associate your self to stop this happening again. Not sure how you do this but I have a friend who had to do this when she got divorced and her ex got into a lot of debt whilst she remained in the marrital home. This stopped any searching being made against her and also stopped any bad credit being recorded on her file.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent :)

As I understand it, they have no right whatsoever to search your file in the hope they may find something of interest to them. That's absolutely outrageous, and these people really do need their ars*s kicked.

BCW seem to be in the habit of fishing in peoples records too, if these threads are anything to go by.

You mention your partner is/has been in dispute with Lowells and I would guess they will use this an excuse, claiming a financial connection through sharing the same address. But unless the debt they are chasing is a joint debt, in your name too, I can't see how they have any right or reason to assume connection or make a link of any kind.

Don't searches normally disappear from a record after 12 months??

The fact Lowell, a well known and highly disreputable purchase company have left a footprint on your record could see your chances of credit shot to bits.

The best place to start is Equifax, but I think they will probably say they can do nothing unless or until Lowell tell them to remove it.

Get yourself prepared for all out war with Lowell. If they don't have a very good reason for this search and footprint, you may be able to hit them quite hard.

That would please me no end!!!! :-) :-)

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

LAN01

I think you are right. I don't think our replies were really that far apart and the whole thing probably depends on whether Duffers Mum and partner are still connected financially, or by living at the same address etc.

I don't think it's right that they can leave a blot on someones record like that though. Everyone knows who Lowell are and anything to do with them is bad news for future credit. They really are the pits and any chance to cause them grief should be seized upon.

All the best.

Hi and thanks for the reply. The alleged debt is hubby and his ex wife's, nothing to do with me at all, on my file is shows as "debt collection" which is even worse - damn cheek if you ask me. I think debt collection searches last for 6 years, as it was only carried out in 2004 it will be there for a few years yet. However the remainder of my credit file is fine and I have never had trouble getting credit etc so I guess I'll leave it be and just wait till it drops off in 2010. :)

Hi Duffers mum

I wish I could be of more help to you, but you may want to keep an eye on this one http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/80357-bcw.html as it might develop into something useful in your case.

All the best.

Well I've had a reply from Equifax today advising that Lowells have agreed to remove the offending search from my record and that it should be cleared within 72 hours - hopefully a result! I will keep checking though to make sure its gone! :)

That's excellent news, but I am a little surprised as it's not like Lowell's to be so reasonable. Perhaps they are beginning to feel the effects of the fightback.

It's probably a good idea to check again in the near future - just in case.

Dannyboy, I think they maybe realised they really shouldn't have done it in the first place -not that that would normally stop them though - I will certainly check in the next few days to see if it has gone and if so, well well, a DCA doing the right thing for a change - long may it last! :)

BCW are doing the same thing to me. I've reported them to the Information Commissioners Office i'd advise anyone who has settled s debt with a DCA to check there credit files and see if they have been searched without permisson

If you been searched without your permisson complain to the Information Commissioners Office like i have

its time to take show these bottom feeders consumers wont be trodden on

Good news Duffers Mum.

However I also think a complaint to Information Commissioners Office is warranted. You don't know if any bank building soc etc checked on your record over the past few years, printed off a report and attached it to your file unless you obtain a full list of who accessed your info since 2004. Then there is the matter that there are three CRA's - are all clear?

At the very least a complaint about Lowells and their like would help members of this forum by bringing their dubious practices to the notice of Information Commissioners Office.

every little helps:)

I have the same problem with Mackenzie Hall. they did a full credit search in January which remains for six years. This is despite them having my address and phone number where I have lived for five years. I have asked them three times to remove it but they just ignored me so I have now asked Equifax to deal with it. If I had legged it without paying a debt that's one thing but this w sno 'trace search'.

If you all think I should report Lowells to the Information Commissioners Office then I will, eerrm any idea what the address is though? My argument was that they searched my credit file when the alleged debt was nothing at all to do with me which I personally think is a disgrace, admittedly I've had no trouble getting a mortgage, but have been turned down for the odd loan/credit card, although that might be more to do with the fact that they think I already have enough commitments (and they'd be right unfortunately). I am now off to draft a letter of complaint! :)