Paypal - Should CAG be using them?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've seen quite a few threads and posts regarding Ebay and Paypal, where CAG members are unhappy with the lack of help or support offered by Paypal when something goes wrong.

So my question is, should the site be using this company as its means of accepting donnations from successful claimants?

I for one would be pleased to donate, but would not use Paypal due to their shoddy treatment of me in the past.

Your comments would be welcome - let the debate begin.

Regards dp

By far the biggest problems centre on the complainant not following the rules that would protect them for chargebacks. It is true that PayPal are inflexible and will not treat a case on its merits, preferring to stick rigidly with the rules, but there isn't a problem with this as we should all know where we stand. I have bought and sold on eBay for years, and had a PayPal $$$ account long before being transferred to the UK-based service. I've never had a problem, because I took time to understand what the problems could be and avoided them. That is just common sense.

Saying that GAG should not accept donations using this method, simply because a minority do not understand how the system works would be a pointless exercise.

If you look at the increasing number of posts that refer to paypal's inflexability or their dogmatic attitude to complaints regarding Ebay transactions that have failed. I would question their ability to deal fairly with their clients.

My experience with paypal left me out of pocket and "out of time" to receive a refund after making a valid complaint. I also think that their charges are too high, so I voted with my feet and stopped using them.

We readily and usually justifiably criticise banks, credit card companies etc on this site. However we are not invited to donate to the CAG using their services.

By far the biggest problems centre on the complainant not following the rules that would protect them for chargebacks.

Those problems stem from:

* the rules not being clear

* the rules not being fair (in the UTCCR sense)

* the rules not respecting the rule of law (SOGASA and the rules on distance selling, for instance)

In particular with that last point, they have this crazy notion that once the money has been withdrawn at the far end they are unable to refund because this would create a negative balance, which is odd when they have no problem forcing a refund when a fraudster files a complaint against you.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

It's a fine line, and faced with being disadvantaged, they ensure they are not disadvantaged - so they can't be blamed for that as they're in the game to make money, not lose it. It could also be argued that they are not the only firm offering similar services and the seller/buyer is not forced to complete a sale by this method.

I agree the gotchas are not given priority so newbies can be better informed, but then since most of life is like that, it won't come as a surprise!

It could also be argued that they are not the only firm offering similar services and the seller/buyer is not forced to complete a sale by this method.

Not when eBay have effectively banned other payment processing options, leaving it as PayPal or bust.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

I'd agree with that, recently for PS3's they used the high demand as an excuse to only allow Paypal payments for any auctions selling PS3's

Still wonder wther that would fall foul of anti competition laws

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Not when eBay have effectively banned other payment processing options, leaving it as PayPal or bust.

Since there's still PO, cheque, cash on collection (if the seller allows) it could be construed that the need for PayPal is being driven by the seller, and as this isn't under the 'control' of PayPal, not unfair to consumer choice!

The idea that a seller can choose to follow Paypal's protection rules is absurd. To have a confirmed address, the buyer must link to a bank account, giving Paypal unrestricted access to their account.

Whether the buyer does this is totally outside the seller's control, and there is no way for them to pre-screen their bidders for confirmed addresses only.

The whole system appears to me to be deliberately designed to make it difficult to comply with. Why not just require the seller to the buyer's Paypal registered address? That's what credit cards do. Why have an extra stage of 'confirmed' addresses at all?

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.