new member and claiming back from Abbey

saskiametcalf

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5265 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have just started to get involved in claiming my bank charges back.

I sent my letter off on Monday to Abbey trying to claim back £4471.50.

I'm going to wait and see what happens. Does anyone know if the 14 days stated in the letter you send out mean 14 days or 14 working days?

I was going to wait till 8th May and then send the next letter if I don't hear anything from them in the first instance.

I have paid off my overdraft and am opening up a new bank account.

Has anyone got any advice for dealing with Abbey?

Hope you can help.

Cheers, Saskia

Its 14 calender days. Just read through the Abbey forum and success threads they provide a wealth of information.

I am not a legal expert my advice is given without prejudice and is purely my opinion only. If you are in doubt please seek professional advice.

Hi Saskia - I'm a bit ahead of you in dealing with Abbey for my Other Half, claiming back about 3.5k (thread is "Tish vs Abbey"). Abbey are (sadly!) one of those that push you right to the Court door, but DON'T loose heart - if you read round the Abbey threads you'll see that you WILL win in the end!!!!!!!! I haven't read yet of anyone who's failed. We actually issued our claim in Court a couple of days ago.

As Livelylad says the times before next stage are always calendar days, so you could send your next letter (LBA?) on 3rd May if you wished. In my experience Abbey will respond to 1st letter with ' . . . we are very sorry - blah - blah - blah' Then a 2nd letter syaing they need another 4 or 8 weeks to investigate - blah - blah - blah. Simply ignore all that (timewasting) rubbish and stick to your own timescales. You're perfectly within your rights to do so. Abbey will very likely make you go through Court Claim, AQ, & issuing Court Bundle, but providing you get it right they will give you a full settlement, plus interest, Court fees, your time (I've seen up to 40 hours claimed) for preparing the case, at £9.95 per hour, and the cost of preparing the Court bundle (I've seen £80 for that). You can't claim the last 2 in Small Claims of course, but you can negotiate with Abbey for them when they contact you to settle just before your Court date!

Don't loose heart, and don't worry about getting it right. As I've discovered, all the help you'll ever need is available right here - a lot of very kind, experienced people can and will help.

All the very best with your claim - I'll keep an eye on your thread - Adam.

:) :) :)

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)