• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

What do I do now? Dilemma!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, I am trying to claim back over £600 that Alliance and Leicester have taken from me in the last 6 months.

I have been following the steps suggested and have filed a claim with MCOL. I'm really confused about this because when I filed it, it said they had 14 days to respond, which would be in 5 days time, but today I have had a letter from MCOL saying that it was issued on the 17th April, and they now have 28 days to respond! Does anyone know what this means????

In the meantime A and L have sent me a cheque for £198, suggesting this is a reasonable amount to have back! So do I take it???

I just don't know what to do and am confused and scared now! Any advice would be much appreciated!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1st calm down

You don't say when your MCOL was completed on line so can't comment about 17 April

After you issue they have 14 days to submit an acknowledgement followed by a further 14 days to submit a defence total 28 days. If they fail to acknowledge within 14 days or submit their defence after a further 14 days then you can apply for a default judgement.

Although Northampton CC does seem to give the banks a lot of latitude in this regard when they shouldn't

Thanks so much Blimeyboy - I was feeling very confident about this until I got this letter and the cheque!

Its a really long letter referring to the OFT, and saying that the charges were made in line with my T's and C's. However, in order to resolve this matter they are prepared to refund the sum of £198. This reflects the difference if the charges had been £12 instead of £20 to £30. If I don't want to accept it I can send it back to them. Oh and also they'll close my account if I don't accept this (which I'm already prepared for!)

I really hope it doesn't end up going to court! Whats £600 to them?!!!

Right yep they are trying to ofefr you a small proportion to go away.

Send them a rejection of offer letter http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejecting-offers.html

Enclosing the cheque torn in half.

Stick to the timetable

You will get your money back but you have to be patient and follow the step by step guides to the letter.

Lots of poeple on here will help and support you all you need.

The £12 penalty is still unlawful unless they can prove it represents their liquidated losses which we all know they can't

It's a figure plucked from the air by the OFT & at which level they will disgracefully not take action

Thanks everyone. So in general, do A and L leave it til the last minute before paying up? So what will happen next?

It says they have 28 days to file a defence - will they do this? I'm sure the amount of letters they've already sent me had cost them £600 already!

Thanks blimeyboy - can you tell me what the timetable is? (Sorry if I'm being thick!)

I issued the MCOL on 10th April, and they acknowledged it on 18th April. Then I received the letter from the solicitors today.

Do you know what happens next?

Ok your time table is

deemed served 15th April + 28 days for acknowledgement = 13th May.

Basically its 33 days from from when you issue the claim.

Now you should get your money before then or you can apply for judgement after the 13th May.

Hope this helps

Just keep hold of it and file it with previous letters from the bank and all your letters to them plus statements etc. then sit back, make a brew and wait for the cheque

One of the following will happen between now and the 13th:

1. They will offer you a settlement figure - usually well below what they owe

2. They file a defence - you will get a copy from the court plus the allocation questionnaire

3. They settle in full

4. They do nothing and you go for judgement against them

Just out of interset what did the solicitors letter say?

And can I ask is you accounts still open with A&L

They offered me a settlement figure on 18th April which I rejected because it was for £198 and they owe me over £600.

The solicitors letter says 'We enclose a copy of our clients acknowledgement of service giving notcue of intention to defend' and its attached.

My account is still open - can they close it without warning?

It is likely that once you have got your charges back they will close your account ( they have to give you at least 30 days notice).

I would open another account with another bank just in case.

As I think I mentioned earlier the solicitor letter is standard issue. Basically they are trying to scare you into dropping the case.

Hold tight and remember there are lots of people on here that will help

More developments...

In the post the other day I got another letter from A and L's solicitors, enclosing their defence. And attached is a 6 page defence!

I'm getting scared again now - should it be ging this far?!

More developments...

In the post the other day I got another letter from A and L's solicitors, enclosing their defence. And attached is a 6 page defence!

I'm getting scared again now - should it be ging this far?!

Yes, nic, be prepared for it to go all the way.

They want you frightened because then you may back down and they win!

Don't give them the satisfaction. Stick with it and you will come out the winner. You've done most of the hard work, now all that remains is to hold your nerve. :cool:

Right I am panicking now because I'm not sure what my next move is.

A and L have filed a defence from their solicitors but I haven't received this questionnaire from the courts - do i need to wait for this or do I need to do something???

I am at exactly the same stage now, defence received in the post on Friday, but no AQ yet. I also received a cheque in partial settlement, which I have done nothing with yet.

Do I need to formally reject this partial offer, and what should expect next?

Thanks!

Waggle and co have sent me a 6 page defence which I received last weekend on 28th april, I have received nothing from the courts not even a copy of their defence. I will speak to the courts on Monday if their open and see if a defence has been filed. Looking at my case on the MCOL site it still shows ackowledged on 24th so surley if they havn't filed anything with the courts then their time will be up on 13th May ( if i have my dates right) Blimeyboy i think youn give such good advice and i have followed you on many threads which show similar situations. Surley I should have received something in the last week from the court or are wraggle just having a laugh. Don't want to be on GMTV as 'the one that lost'. Please help to put my mind at rest. My case was served on 15th April and they acknowledged on 24th so am i right in thinking that 13th May is D-Day???