• Tweets

• it is NOT A FINE.....this is an extremely important point to understand no-one bar a magistrate in a magistrates criminal court can ever fine anyone for anything. Private Parking Tickets (speculative invoices) are NOT a criminal matter, merely a speculative contractual Civil matter hence they can only try a speculative monetary claim via the civil county court system (which is no more a legal powers matter than what any member of Joe Public can do). Until/unless they do raise a county court claim a CCJ and win, there are not ANY enforcement powers they can undertake other than using a DCA, whom are legally powerless and are not BAILIFFS. Penalty Charge Notices issued by local authorities etc were decriminalised years ago - meaning they no longer can progress a claim to the magistrates court to enforce, but go directly to legal enforcement via a real BAILIFF themselves. 10'000 of people waste £m's paying private parking companies because they think they are FINES...and the media do not help either. the more people read the above the less income this shark industry get. where your post said fine it now says charge .............. please fill out the Q&A ASAP. dx  
    • Well done on reading the other threads. If ECP haven't got the guts to do court then there is no reason to pay them. From other threads there is a 35-minute free stay after which you need to pay, with the signs hidden where no-one will read them.  Which probably explains why ECP threaten this & threaten that, but in the end daren't do court. As for your employer - well you can out yourself as the driver to ECP so the hamster bedding will arrive at yours.  Get your employer to do that using the e-mail address under Appeals and Transfer Of Liability.  
    • good you are getting there. Lloyds/TSb...i certainly would not be risking possible off-setting going on if a choice were there, but in all honestly thats obv too late now..., however..you might not never be in that situation so dont worry too much. regardless to being defaulted or not, if any debt that is not paid/used in 6yrs it becomes statute barred. you need to understand a couple of things like 'default' and 'default notice' a default is simply a recorded D in the calendar section/history of a debt, it does not really mean anything. might slightly hit your rating. the important thing here is a default notice , these are issued by the original creditor (OC) under the consumer credit act, it gives you 14 days to settle whatever they are asking, if you don't then they have the option to register a defaulted date on your credit file. that can make getting other credit more difficult. and hits your rating. once that happens, not matter what you do after that, paying it or not or not paid off or not, the whole account vanishes from your credit file on the DN's 6th b'day. though that might not necessarily mean the debt is not still owed - thats down to the SB date above. an OC very rarely does court and only the OWNER of a debt can instigate any court action (Attempted a CCJ) DCA's debt collection agencies - DCA's are NOT BAILIFFS they have ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter what it's TYPE. an OC make pass a debt to a dca as their client to try and spoof people into paying through legal ignorance of the above statement. an OC may SELL on an old debt to a DCA/debt buyer (approx 10p=£1) and then claim their losses through tax write off and their business insurance, wiping their hands of the debt. the DCA then becomes the debt OWNER. since the late 70's dca's pull all kinds of 'stunts' through threat-o-grams to spoof a debtor into paying them the full value of the debt, when they bought if for a discounted sum (typically 10p=£1). you never pay a dca a penny! if read carefully, NONE of their letters nor those of any other 'trading names' they spoof themselves under making it seem it's going up some kind of legitimate legal 'chain' say WILL anything....just carefully worded letters with all kinds of threats of what could/might/poss happen with other such words as instruct forward pass... well my dog does not sit when instructed too...so... DCA's SOMETIMES will issue a court claim, but in all honesty its simply a speculative claim hoping mugs wet themselves and cough up...oh im going to court... BIG DEAL DCA - show me the enforceable paperwork signed by me...9/10 they dont have it and if your defence is conducted properly, most run away from you . however before they do all that they now have to send a letter of claim, cause the courts got fed up with them issuing +750'000PA speculative claims and jamming up the legal system. so bottom line is two conclusions.... if you cant pay a debt, get a DN issued ASAP (stop paying it!) make sure it gets registered on your file then it stops hurting your file/future credit in 6yrs regardless to what happens (bar of course a later DCA CCJ - fat chance mind!)  once you've a registered DN , then look into restarting payments if the debt is still owed by the OC, if SOLD to a DCA, don't pay - see if they issue a letter of claim (then comeback here!).        
    • Any update here?  I ask as we have someone new being hassled for parking at this site.
    • Any update here?  I ask as we have someone new being hassled for parking at this site.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

blueberrys dad v. LLoyds TSB

blueberrys
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thought it was about time I started my own thread here for this, so to bring you all up to date....

Began claim for Dad against LLoyds back in January after receiving copy smts in a much-delayed reponse to SAR (no surprises there!!):rolleyes:

After 2 letters and MCOL Dad credited with 750 quid (told them case not settled and pursuing full refund!) and case transferred to Portsmouth County Court. AQ and new-style draft order submitted last week.

Have started to prepare court bundle as advised but just wanted to check whether I can submit it if need be, as Dad is on holiday in couple of weeks' time? The dates he is away were put on AQ.

.·:*¨

:-) ¨*:·. Blueberrys .·:*¨:) ¨*:·.

We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the STARS****

:roll:

If I've helped please click my scales !

:p THANX!!!

HalifaX PLC ***WON 24.11.06 - REFUNDED £666.94 after MCOL***

First Direct ***WON - REPAID IN FULL 3.11.06!!!***

Barclays ***WON - REPAID IN FULL 31.10.06!!!***

Lloyds TSB (Dad's) ***WON***14.05.07

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. It appears that Dad is getting closer to receiving his money back from Lloyd's, however, he has just received two letters from SCM: one 'open', stating that Bank intends to defend claim and suggesting he contacts his account manager at the bank to review his account; the other is sent on same date, refers to the former, and is marked Strictly Without Prejudice and Confidential and Privileged.

This letter offers to repay charges claimed with statutory interest (although not at daily rate but amount claimed in schedule sent months ago when went to MCOL!!) plus one lot of court fees (Dad's case transferred to local court by Northampton judge so he has incurred another fee as well). However, it places upon this a number of conditions which Dad is asked to sign to say he agrees with, as follows:

1. The amounts will be credited to your account number XXXXXXXX by the Bank.

2. The payment will be in full and final settlement of your claim.

3. The terms of this agreement are confidential to the parties and their legal representatives.

4. You agree to maintain your account with the Bank within your agreed limits and in accordance with the terms that govern the account.

5. You can avoid these fees in future if you agree an increase in your overdaft with the Bank before you try and make payments that would take you over any previously agreed limits. If you do not do so, you will again incur these fees.

6. You make contact with your local Lloyds TSB Branch Manager on 0345 3000 000 to arrange a review of your account. The Bank wishes to avoid further situations which give rise to disputes. A review may be useful to consider whether your current account arrangements are the most appropriate for your needs.

7. You must notify the court immediately once payment has been made and provide a copy of your letter to the court for our records.

Please let us know if you are prepared to settle on these terms. If so, the Bank will arrange to credit the amount to your account xxxxxxxx.

If you are willing to settle on this basis, please sign a copy of this letter as confirmation that you are bound by its terms, and return it at your ealiest convenience but no later than 8 May 2007.

Yours faithfully

****!

Seems to me that they are trying it on here, forcing Dad to admit he breached their 'fair' conditions and agreeing to play by their rules in the future! I assume signing this would preclude him claiming any future charges etc because he will have signed a written undertaking.

In view of this, and the fact that only one lot of court fees is being repaid here, how do you suggest we proceed, please? Has anyone else received such a letter?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Thats the standard settlement letter that SC&M send out. I recieved one last Friday.

I have crossed out the confidentiality clause and signed it. There doesnt appear to be anything too sinister about it.

I also sent a lovely (yeah right) letter back to them. Check out my thread if you are interested.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/52677-talling-lloyds-tsb.html

Hope this helps. If so please click on the scales

XxXxX

• Haha 1

If I have been helpful, PLEASE click the scales

You may receive differing advice as people have had different experiences. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I offer is done so informally, without prejudice & without liability.

I WON !!!!

HERE WE GO AGAIN .... BRING IT ON

:D

Thanks for the advice curkychick. Only one thing still bothering me - they have not included the second court fee in their figures so I guess I will have to include such detail in the letter you suggest rather than get Dad to sign an amended settlement form - don't suppose I can amend the amount on that! Anyone out there agree/disagree?

Thanks in advance

Hi. I am concerned that it would not be acceptable to amend the amount claimed on the settlement offer sent by SCM. Should I send my own list of terms, duly signed, and , if so, would the following letter (credit to curlychick for original! )be OK to accompany it?

I am hereby returning a copy of your settlement offer dated 24th April 2007, the contents of which I have noted, in particular your defence that my claim for repayment of ‘fees’, not ‘penalty charges’ as I have submitted to the Court, is misconceived. Since to date no Court in the land has been given the opportunity to decide, in the eyes of the law, whether misconception is indeed the case, the legal basis for my claim was, therefore, sound.

In relation to the terms you have attempted to impose on the settlement, if you are confident in the legitimacy of your defence, I see neither a legal necessity for a confidentiality clause, nor any reason to request one. I am completely unwilling to relinquish my right to free speech and consider your client’s attempt to enforce such a term extremely arrogant. I therefore, absolutely and completely refuse to comply with any such confidentiality agreement and as such have removed this from my attached list of terms prior to signing.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind you that I am bringing action against your client, not vice versa. It is your client that has decided to settle this matter out of court and as such they have absolutely no right to impose conditions upon the offer of settlement.

Furthermore, I note that the settlement figure quoted in your offer fails to take into account the extra ₤100 court fee incurred by me when the case was transferred to the Portsmouth County Court; an additional cost which could have been avoided had your client agreed to settle this dispute before the commencement of legal action.

In view of this fact, I have enclosed an amended list of terms on which I am prepared to settle this claim, with the additional amount added to the total claimed, and signed by both parties to the account.

I note that you have allowed me a period of 14 days in which to accept your client’s offer of settlement. I see this, in the eyes of the law, as a reasonable timescale in which to respond to such an offer.

I reciprocate this and therefore request that the amount of £***.** quoted in my settlement statement, be paid into my account ******* within 14 days. If your client fails to comply within this timescale then I shall have no option but to continue with the Court action, which, as you have pointed out, may ‘increase costs beyond the amount at issue’.

Please be advised that I will only notify the Court to cease any further legal action, once cleared payment of the full amount claimed above has been received into my account.

I look forward to receiving the above amount at your earliest convenience, but no later than XX May 2007.

Thanks for your help!!:)

Just read your letter

(Oh and i really cant take all the credit for the one i wrote...lol... as it was a jiggle of a letter another CAG'er had written)

The letter does sound good, but can i just ask .... you are not planning on signing and sending back the offer letter with it are you ?

The way i look at it, because the settlement figure is missing the extra court cost of £100, in effect you are declining their offer of settlement.

Therefore, you shouldnt return the signed form as this will confuse things.

XxXxX

You may receive differing advice as people have had different experiences. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I offer is done so informally, without prejudice & without liability.

I WON !!!!

Was planning to send back a copy unsigned so they can match up paperwork etc, but enclose own settlement terms signed by both parties to the account.

Phewwww .... thats ok then .... lol ..... but you might want to amend the following:-

Hi. I am concerned that it would not be acceptable to amend the amount claimed on the settlement offer sent by SCM. Should I send my own list of terms, duly signed, and , if so, would the following letter (credit to curlychick for original! )be OK to accompany it?

I am hereby returning an unsigned copy of your settlement offer dated 24th April 2007, the contents of which I have noted, in particular your defence that my claim for repayment of ‘fees’, not ‘penalty charges’ as I have submitted to the Court, is misconceived. Since to date no Court in the land has been given the opportunity to decide, in the eyes of the law, whether misconception is indeed the case, the legal basis for my claim was, therefore, sound.

In relation to the terms you have attempted to impose on the settlement, if you are confident in the legitimacy of your defence, I see neither a legal necessity for a confidentiality clause, nor any reason to request one. I am completely unwilling to relinquish my right to free speech and consider your client’s attempt to enforce such a term extremely arrogant. I therefore, absolutely and completely refuse to comply with any such confidentiality agreement and as such have removed this from my attached list of terms (prior to signing) you won't be signing

I would like to take this opportunity to remind you that I am bringing action against your client, not vice versa. It is your client that has decided to settle this matter out of court and as such they have absolutely no right to impose conditions upon the offer of settlement.

Furthermore, I note that the settlement figure quoted in your offer fails to take into account the extra ₤100 court fee incurred by me when the case was transferred to the Portsmouth County Court; an additional cost which could have been avoided had your client agreed to settle this dispute before the commencement of legal action.

In view of this fact, I have enclosed an amended list of terms on which I am prepared to settle this claim, with the additional amount added to the total claimed, and signed by both parties to the account.

I note that you have allowed me a period of 14 days in which to accept your client’s offer of settlement. I see this, in the eyes of the law, as a reasonable timescale in which to respond to such an offer.

I reciprocate this and therefore request that the amount of £***.** quoted in my settlement statement, be paid into my account ******* within 14 days. If your client fails to comply within this timescale then I shall have no option but to continue with the Court action, which, as you have pointed out, may ‘increase costs beyond the amount at issue’.

Please be advised that I will only notify the Court to cease any further legal action, once cleared payment of the full amount claimed above has been received into my account.

I look forward to receiving the above amount at your earliest convenience, but no later than XX May 2007.

Thanks for your help!!:)

Would you agree ?

XxXxX

I WON !!!!

Thanks for the advice curlychick , had put the bit about signed as in reference to the list of terms I was intending to add with the letter, not the ones sent by SCM. However, think Dad is keen to settle whether or not the other 100 quid is included so may be academic!!

Cheers anyway!!:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. Just wanted to pass on the good news!

Dad came back from holiday today to find that Lloyds have credited his account with all monies owed!!

HE WON!!!!!!:grin:

Thanks so much to everyone for your support and advice. Donation on way!!:smile:

PS - Note to MODS:

Could you please move thread to CASES WON!

Thanks Barty!!

Dad is pretty chuffed too!!!:D