Additions account refund

Shelby
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On my last statement I noticed that I had an Additions Account and was paying a monthly fee of £11.50. I don't remember requesting this account and certainly dont remember speaking to anyone about having one of these accounts (and actually wasn't even aware I had one until watching the Whistleblower programme). I phoned the bank up and explained the situation. He told me that from the computer I'd had the account for at least 12 months but he couldn't see further back than that. He told me someone would look into it. At the same time I also asked for copies of my statements over the last 6 years. Couple of days letter I received a letter telling me someone was looking into my account and would contact me.

When I got home yesterday I'd received my statements. I went onto online banking and the bank had credited £69 to my account for 6 months repayment from the Additions Account!! I'd had no letter or correspondence from the bank to inform me of this.

Later I sat and went through my statements and realised I'd had this account since 2003!!! Does this now mean that, as they have accepted I shouldn't have had this account and been charged for it (by refunding 6 months of account fees) that I am now able to claim back the fees dating back to 2003.:?

Additions Account I don't remember requesting this
you were right to question it, I did and got refunded 12 months.
At the same time I also asked for copies of my statements over the last 6 years.
oops, you need to send in your SAR with a payment of £10 otherwise you cannot put deadlines on them.

the bank had credited £69 to my account for 6 months repayment from the Additions Account
Send a letter saying thank you for the admission of error and you wish to be refunded the full amount you are owed

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

Write to them. Tell them you did not sign up for additions, and claim all your money back. They don't seem to argue this point very much, I think they've been badly caught out with this!

Why don't you create a schedule of charges spreadsheet, and hit them for interest as well? Won't be a massive amount, but it's YOURS, not theirs!

Bankers!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thanks for your replies.

I am also going to claim back my charges (just over £600) but rather it be in my pocket than theirs. From reading other threads, it seems that people are now claiming the 8% interest right from the start instead of waiting until it goes to court, is this right? Also is there anything I need to do now regarding not sending the SAR.

Thanks again:)

You're not actually ENTITLED to the interest until you make a court claim, and even then it's at the discretion of the judge. but most pre-court settlements will include it, or a large percentage of it.

however, as an old boss of mine used to say, "shy bairns get nowt, old son!", so it's always worth asking.

:) :) :)

Regarding the SAR; if you've got all your statements showing the charges you're claiming, then you're past that stage now. Sort out your Schedule of Charges (SOC) and get cracking on your initial request.

If you eventually want to claim charges further back than six years, WRITE to the bank for your older statements, using the template SAR letter from the library. I feel it's ALWAYS best to keep a full written record of everything.

:D

Hi, I've done my schedule of charges for the account fees from the Additions Account. I'm not sure now whether I follow the same procedure and deadlines as I will do for the 'unlawful bank charges' i.e. preliminary letter with 14 days to reply, then LBA. Thanks:confused:

yes handle it exactly as you would with charges.

First request is for repayment of charges,

then rejecting [if unacceptable]

then LBA

then the interest can be added when filing with MCOL or N1

• Haha 2

I have mentioned these fees in my thread as this came up half way through my claim (I am at awaiting Defence stage) and had put a complaint in by phone over the additions fee. I received a letter saying they would respond by 27 April. I have noticed on the cashpoint more money in my account than there should be and after speaking on phone the other day to them they said someone was working on this claim. I think they too have paid a years worth of fees into my account although we have had the account since 1999. Will check and come back but I will not settle for less than the whole amount back which is about £600 odd - this happened 3 days ago and I have not received a letter either.

Received a letter from them this weekend, usual "sorry you felt the need to complain blah blah blah". They have stated that this account would have been discussed with me and an information pack sent out - absolutely not! Also that they were aware I'd had the account for much longer than that but were only refunding 6 months as it was very clear on my statements that there was an "Account Fee" deducted every month.

Are they right about to do this and is it still worth pursuing my claim for the account fee:confused:

Will check and come back but I will not settle for less than the whole amount back which is about £600 odd - this happened 3 days ago and I have not received a letter either.

Woodentop let me know how you get on, good luck!!;)

Hi, right have done my letter to request my account fees back from 2003. Just wondered if anyone had time to read through it and suggest whether there is anything I should add in or take out!! Thanks.:p

Thank you for your letter dated 18th April 2007.

My request

I am writing to ask you to refund to me the account fee charges, which you have levied from my account since May 2003.

When my account was upgraded to the Additions Account, I was certainly not aware of it, did not agree to it and have never signed into any contract to request this type of account. I have never received the “Additions Welcome Pack”, or the various letters you claim have been sent to me, informing me of the charges to the Additions Account. You are right in that my statements did state the fee had been deducted from my account but at no time was I aware that it was for holding an Additions Account and simply thought they were another type of charge deducted from my account.

I am aware that I have benefited from the reduced overdraft interest rate, but have never used any other benefit from the Additions Account, simply because I was not aware I held one of these accounts.

Thank you for refunding my account with £69.00 for the account fees charged for the past 6 months. However, I accept this only as part payment and ask you to refund me the account fees from May 2003; a total of £433.50. I enclose a schedule of those charges, which I am claiming with this letter.

My targets to resolve this matter

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that, there will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

Yours sincerely

thats ok but i would take out

You are right in that my statements did state the fee had been deducted from my account but at no time was I aware that it was for holding an Additions Account and simply thought they were another type of charge deducted from my account.

never admit that you think they are right. you have made your point, end the paragraph just before.

Well I never. I have just called BB. They say they have sent a resolution letter on 18.4. Told her not received as yet. She then read out the letter to me and I quote lol "We are sorry we updated your account without your knowledge" blah blah blah. Have today credited account with £118 being 12 months. They say that when they put the additions on we were given 90 days to say we didn't want it - who reads all the bumph they send - I didn't. She asked me what I wanted and told her I wanted all £600 odd back and that was without interest. She has now passed it back to them to see what they say. Said to her that they had admitted that they did it without my knowledge. Can't wait for the letter to come. What do I do next?????

Im' not entirely sure 'darn3' and 'oneofakind' have advised me along the way but maybe you should be doing the requests by letter, especially if they now come back to you and decline to refund you anymore. Although, of course, I will keep my fingers crossed that they come back and agree to pay you the £600 backxx

I see what your saying Shelby but this one is just sort of happening at a steady pace by phone (dunno why!). I have another claim going through (just waiting for their defence) which has all be done the usual way and has gone along quite nicely and timely. This only came about because I called for progress on the other one just after Whistleblower and they have been writing etc just from a phone call and refunded the 12 months. I am prepared to wait and see what they say about the whole amount if not will take the other route - giving them a chance at the moment.

It's great that you seem to be getting somewhere, but I always feel I'm on safer ground when I have written proof of offers etc. lying in front of me!

I've always thought it's just too easy to fob customers off on the phone. (not that I'm accusing banks of this, of course...;) )

If you're happy, and you get the result you want, Great.

:)