Been sent partial payment *after* 'going to court' letter

JillSandwich
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6188 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone! It's nice to be here :) I've been watching these forums and the ones on MSE too, and I am at the midway stage, but there has been a complication, (the Step 2 and Step 3 letters refer to the ones on MSE):

It hasn't helped that I moved home on the 23rd of March last month, and so there may be mail stuck in the letterbox of the old address (we did have it redirected, but there was a week before that started. I'm checking that mailbox today)

I sent the 'Step 3' letter on the 3rd of April threatening court action with Abbey, and on Saturday I got a reply from the Step 2 letter, with Abbey offering £340 of my £1386 claim. I had closed that account in my local branch about 2 weeks beforehand.

HOWEVER, I have just tried logging onto that account online to check it was closed - but it's not, AND they have deposited the £340 in there already!

Now what? I've already sent the court threat letter for the full amount, so what do I do with this £340 sitting in my supposedly closed account! Argh!

Well, how did you close the account? did you sign something, I dont know the legalities of this, but if you closed the account on a nil balance how can they possibly keep it open?, hopefully someone should be along in a minute to help, but this is not an answer I can give, have you tried ringing the complaints department and telling them?.

When they sent the letter did they say it was a refund of charges or a GOGW?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Guest louis wu

Have you had any notification that the account is closed? If so, although its sitting there you may not be able to get at it.

There are ways of changing/amending your claim, I will look for a link for you, but firstly, make sure that the money is actually yours.

Louis

Thanks for your quick responses :)

I had closed the account by going into my branch of Abbey and signing a slip the cashier gave me. I haven't recieved any confirmation in writing that they closed it, that's why I checked online.

The amount they deposited is a 'gesture of goodwill' they wrote in the letter to me.