E&L Pet Insurance - anyone else had problems?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wondered if anyone else has had problems getting a claim settled from E & L Pet insurance? my claim was submitted in Nov 2006 for £164. Claim agreed but 19th April 2007 and still no sign of cheque!! I have telephoned them but they are most unhelpful, I cant speak to a claim manager I cant speak to a supervisor - my file is being processed, they cant tell me how long this will take as there is a backlog. Apparently I will get my cheque they just dont know when it will arrive.

Now is it just me or is this unfair! I had to pay the vet in November and the whole point of insurance was to cover a claim and yet still no money 5 months later.:evil:

If cheque does not arrive this week I am thinking of writing to them giving them 7 days to pay up before I start proceedings and claim interest from them

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have Direct Line Pet Insurance and when I submitted a claim and didn't receive payment I rang them and was told they have been advised to tell people not to expect payment for at least 12 weeks once the claim has been submitted because they are inundated with claims, possible it could be the same sort of thing. Must admit though that once I said I thought that a ridiculous amount of time to have to wait the cheque came through within the next few days.

It is really annoying as you say to have to pay the vets direct but then the insurance company, who you HAVE to pay on time every month, then take forever to process a claim. Keep chasing it and good luck :)

In my experience E&L are awful. I have never recommended them to a client as they are notorious for providing poor service.

Cahoot - Rejection of offer sent 14/06/07

Barclaycard - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22/03/07

The FSA do need to be told about this - The FSA have told Insurance Companies, as part of the ICOB (Claims Handling procedure's)

"When settling a claim (in whole or part) pay it promptly (within 5 business days of the terms being agreed between the customer and the insurer"

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Oh please, don't talk to me about E&L! I am at my wits end. I have paid out about £4K over the last couple of months (and counting) and although the first sums have now been agreed (after constant badgering and a complaint) I still haven't had any money....:mad:

But I am going to email them the quote someone has posted above re prompt payment.

• 1 year later...

Not a probelm as such but a bit of general info. I was with E & L until I changed vets recently. When I registered at the new vet they asked me who my insurance provider was and I answered E & L. My vet grimaced at this and said that she would advise me to change as it was nigh on impossible to get them to pay out. She advised I switch to petplan which I immediately did.

About a week later my dog ended up in the local animal hospital having to have surgery to remove a random object she ate. The will was about £1000.00. When it came to the insurance claim the animal hospital didn't make me pay the balance of the bill (I had already paid them £200 deposit) as they said they would get the rest back from petplan and said how fortunate it was that I was with petplan as they were very good.

I then told them that I had just changed from E & L. When I told them this they said I had been very lucky indeed as they refused to deal with E & L at all, as they were rude and would never pay up. So there you go. Pet[paln may be expensive but as any pet owner will tell you its better than a big fat vets bill.

It's interesting and startling to read this. I'm considering getting pet insurance as my cat sadly and rudely keeps threatening to die every few months and it results in large vets' bills. But looking at the posts here, I don't think I will be choosing E & L, especially if vets themselves don't like them. How do they get away with apparently never paying up? How do they manage to function as a company with such a (apparently) bad reputation with both customers and vets? It would be interesting to hear an answer from a representative of E & L.

Most importantly, I wish you guys the best of luck with trying to claim the money that you deserve.

Edit: I just Googled them and looked for reviews of them - the reviews were awful! On one website, there were 86 reviews and the average rating they gave was 0.5 out of 10. I really want to know how E & L do it!

Edited by Tom87

My vets here in rural Devon has a large laminated sign on the wall to the effect that anyone who has their animals insured with E & L will have to settle their vets bill initially themselves. The vets have given up trying to obtain reimbursement from E & L directly.

A far from glowing endorsement!

Be warned.

H

My sister in law unfortunately has insurance with e and l. Her dog has had 3 ops the first in Jan 07 which has only just been paid out. Within 3 days of the first op notification which e and l ask for they put an amended clause stating a further op of its kind would not be paid out. The 2nd and third op were then paid by my sister in law in full. After reading through the policies / letters / emails and all other bumf from these people we have just seen that the new clause stared from Aug 2008....mistake on their part but hey....they now have to repay all of the money in full and within 14 days. This was sorted on Monday and the cheque for all monies arrived yesterday! In their policy they state you must claim within 90 days or lose out. I stated they had breach their own contract by leaving the policy holder on unfair footing and taking over 16 months (480 days) to make the payment. They cannot hold a clause valid if all parties are not bound by them equally.

Dont let then fob you off if you have a policy with them....and dont forget to make a formal complaint to the financial ombudsman regarding their behaviour!

Hope this helps.....If necessary I can copy the letter I wrote for tohers to use.Just let me know :)

My sister in law unfortunately has insurance with e and l. Her dog has had 3 ops the first in Jan 07 which has only just been paid out. Within 3 days of the first op notification which e and l ask for they put an amended clause stating a further op of its kind would not be paid out. The 2nd and third op were then paid by my sister in law in full. After reading through the policies / letters / emails and all other bumf from these people we have just seen that the new clause stared from Aug 2008....mistake on their part but hey....they now have to repay all of the money in full and within 14 days. This was sorted on Monday and the cheque for all monies arrived yesterday! In their policy they state you must claim within 90 days or lose out. I stated they had breach their own contract by leaving the policy holder on unfair footing and taking over 16 months (480 days) to make the payment. They cannot hold a clause valid if all parties are not bound by them equally.

Dont let then fob you off if you have a policy with them....and dont forget to make a formal complaint to the financial ombudsman regarding their behaviour!

Hope this helps.....If necessary I can copy the letter I wrote for tohers to use.Just let me know :)

Hi,

Can you please post the letter? I am currently waiting for decision on two claims I submitted to them! :-|

If you go on any caravan forum you will find numerous complaints against them. In addition, their payments are per lunar month not monthly so you end up paying 13 payments in one year instead of twelve.

Hi

I have given the contracts back to my sister in law, however in there is a clause which states you have to claim within 90 days. In response and to remain fair and on an equal footing they should treat you similar. Use this to get your money....it worked for my sister in law.

I did hhope to put the letter I wrote on here but I seemt o have lost in...I will keep looking and try uploading it for you all to use.

• 2 weeks later...

We are currently in dispute with E & L having been with them for over 17 years & this is our first claim. Since starting the claim we have sadly lost our dear cat, Rocky, so it makes it all the more distressing to have to keep chasing them up.

Our vets receptionist 'screamed' when we told her who our insurers were, they have had so many problems with them.

Our claim began at the beginning of April when Rocky was undergoing tests re weightloss. He then had tooth extractions & seemed to recover well until rapidly going downhill on May 10th when we had to rush him to the emergency vet & make the decision to put him to sleep. We are still distraught by that. But we have had to chase E & L all the time. Letters they claim to have sent, we have not received. You hardly ever get to speak to the same person & never get to talk to anyone in authority. One person tells you one thing then another something totally different. They have virtually called our vets liars yet refused to discuss it with a veterinary nurse who called on our behalf. My husband has a list of times, dates & names of various people he has spoken to.

It took E & L 11 months to tell us one of, our then 3, cats had not been covered since last April. Due to the fact they wouldn't take all 3 payments in one lump, it appeared on my bank statements that 3 payments were coming out. But when I checked online carefully it was only two with overlapping dates. Remiss of me not to notice, but why did it take them 11 months to tell us? We have not reinsured Shandy. As soon as we get settlement from them for Rocky we will cancel our eldest cat Mistys insurance too. Its just not worth the bother on top of the heartache. These people have no compassion & seem completely incompetent.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having problems getting payments from E&L last year took nearly 9months to resolve issues threatened to go to insurance ombudsman there claim manager chris BOVE must be the most incompetant claim manager in the uk "Well Done Chris"this year they said I had missed a monthly Payment and had cancelled the policy on one of my dogs, in fact they had not requested to take the direct debit from my account, also they said they had sent a letter about non payment and subsequently admitted they hadn't, then accused the bank of being at fault and subsequently admitted they had altered policy number slightly so the bank wouldn't have paid the dd anyway, at the moment i am waiting for £194 from them for an operation on my other dog in january 2008 sent all the info within the deadline then had a letter dated march that arrived june saying the vet hadn't included dogs medical history and i had not filled claim form in although it was checked by the vet & myself prior to being sent, we have resubmitted the details again 3 weeks ago i suppose it will be next year before payment settled? iwill never insure through E&HELL again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I bought a pony for my son last July and insured with E&L. In February we had to have the pony put down! at Christmas his behaviour started getting erratic and he started bolting off with both me and my son. We struggled on tried everthing and eventually called the vet. He seemed to show little or no sight in one eye so we tried leading him etc from his good side. Blood tests were taken which showed possible signs of ragwort poisioning but not high levels, the final weeks only my son could catch him and the final days no one could touch him. From 3 weeks when my vet first came E&L agreed with my vet to put him down and informed my vet that he was insured for death and money to cover the cost of him cremation. His post mortem showed worm damage and an enlarged heart with was causing all him organs to fail.

This was the February. Claim forms etc were filled in and sent off. I was told in April they had everything they needed. In May I received a letter saying some information was missing. The vet assured me this was sent off originally but sent this information again. I was told that June 5th they could confirm that all information was in place. I have been told over the last few weeks that they are just waiting for the money to be sorted. Today I receive a letter requesting a valuation of the horse from my farrier! Why wasnt this asked for in April!

What a discusting company, how I feel about this company words could not be written, they have been completely unhelpful, continue to say they have all information then a month later decide they want more! I feel they are just putting off paying. We only had my sons pony for 8 months, his first pony and a friend for him, but it breaks my heart that nearly every day im phoning this company chasing payment. My son wants a memorial for him with this money. As yet we still have his ashes at home waiting for this day!

I recommend that no one ever ensures with this company, how can this company get away with this?

We have just cancelled our remaining E & L policy. Unbelievably we received their cheque 1 day before expected! I guess that is a point for them....But...

We had settled for less in the end. Despite our vet, after virtually having being called liars, again faxing them, informing them that all claims were relevant to the investigations into Rockys weightloss. Despite our constant form filling & telephone calls chasing them up...at our cost... & having to re live the moment of having him put to sleep, time after time.

Despite having paid in for 3 cats for over 17 years & this being our first claim ever, they were quibbling over what we thought should have been about £350 & they offered £219.

It wasn't about the money, though you do think insurance means what it says & don't expect to be made to feel a criminal for putting in a genuine claim. It was about peace of mind if anything like this should happen to your pet, to a living creature that has been a part of your life for years.

They wanted to know why we were cancelling when my husband called them about our remaining policy.............

Edited by catnap
spelling mistake

• 2 weeks later...

I an fed up reading about how bad E and L are. There are no good reviews for this company as far as I can see.

I have had to contact them again with regards to my sister in laws claim. I now want to put together a group of claimants. I feel this is the best way forward rather than individuals of which they take very little notice.

If you wish to be included in the group and for me to contact them on your behalf then polease feel free to pm me your details. I am aiming to make first contact with them by August 31st 2008 so please make sure you have sent your details before then.

E and L...watch out......I am on my way!

I quite agree with what you are aiming to do mrsfoot. But for the fact that E&L settled, though not as much as we thought it should have been, I would be right there with you.

Certainly if there is some way to blacklist this despicable company count me in.

We settled for the amount they offered because we were still in shock over our cats death and wanted nothing more to do with E&L, hence we cancelled our other policy as soon as we received the cheque.

People insure their pets because they care about them, not because they want to do battle with the insurance company should something bad happen.

I know, from what I've read, ours are not the only vets to hold their hands up in horror when we told them who our insurers were.

Surely there must be some way of warning other prospective clients before they part with any money?? Personally I'd like to see them put out of business for their incompetance, lack of compassion & poor communication skills. Maybe there should be some sort of petition, hopefully with vets support, to the government!?