E&L Pet Insurance - anyone else had problems?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

although inevitably there is a bit of a delay on cheques of this size I was paid out just after Christmas when Arthur died on 15th November

This was reasonably quick for E&L though there is nothing inevitable about such a delay with other insurers. Vets get paid these sorts of amounts direct all the time within 2 weeks from other insurers. You can see why they can't afford to deal direct with this company.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just recently had to make a claim for my dog scooby (bearing in mind i had wedding insurance with e and l and they paid out if full when our venue went best - this is reason scooby is with them)scooby had injured his neck and it affected his walking - the vets did xrays, blood tests etc and they suggested if he doesnt get better on his own with rest and medication will need an mri to see if it is a disc problem (xrays were clear)when i called e and l initally they were very helpful i passed the claim form to the vet which they filled in - during scoobys checkup the vet mentioned his knee cap is out of joint and has been like that for a while (scooby has never complained of any pain and has no probs running etc) the vet said he may need operationi rang e and l and they told me that he would be covered under a continious claim form.this morning i had a letter from them stating that they will be excluding cover for his patella after 30/08/11 - i rang them and they basically said that if he needs the operation he needs it now otherwise cant claim for it - i feel like that they are forcing me to put him under more stress - i asked about the mri as he did have arelapse last week (but seems better) they told me that they may or not pay out on it but as i had the lower cover he is only covered for £1000 and mri is between £1200 - £2000i am not happy with the service and i feel presurised to put scooby through this even though he is getting better slowly i am goin to see my vet and tell him about this and see if he will agree to continue give him drugs when needed - he is not that bad to think of the alternative and i cant afford the mri and i cant accept e and l sayin they may pay out part of cost for mri!

• 2 months later...

Oh yes, yes, yes. Our cat Eric is insured on a life long policy and in 2008 he had to have his thyroid gland removed. Unfortunately, this also damaged the parathyroid glands resulting in the necessity for daily doses of AT10 to force the body to absorb calcium from his food. I claimed for the costs of the surgery and after what seemed like a lifetime, we actually received the cheque from E&L. Since then we have been paying for the AT10 ourselves @£70 per bottle as a gesture of good will in return for them paying the major bills. We get through 4-5 bottles per year. A few weeks ago I claimed for one bottle of AT10 as a one off as we had had a lot of expense. I was then told that they could not pay as we had not covered the £75 excess for the year. It transpired that most companies insist on an annual excess before they will pay out. At that, I totted up how much we had paid out and not claimed for during this year in respect of the removal of the thyroid gland and claimed for the lot. We were then told that the excess was actually now £235 as we had not paid any excess since day one on this condition thus the excess had been rolled up. I then proved that they had deducted the excess from the original payout so they then reduced the alleged excess by £75.

The moral of this story is; If you are considering insuring with E&L, DONT. If you are already trapped with an ongoing claim, keep all documentation & vets invoices because you will need them. If you have a lifetime cover, make sure you claim for every single item of expenditure because they will deduct £75 every year. If you don't have to claim for a while, they will roll up those annual excesses and ambush you with them when you do eventually claim so, be aware. If you are insured but not in mid claim, get out now. Eric also has diabetes and we have been paying for Insulin and syringes ourselves but no more. I am now totting up ALL unclaimed costs since the policy began and going for that. All good will has now evaporated.

Our vet also drew a sharp intake of breath when we first told him who Eric was insured with and we too have to pay the bill ourselves because they cannot afford to wait while E&L faff around pontificating on whether to pay up.

I could wax lyrical about this company but, I am now at the point where I am referring the matter to the Insurance Ombudsman over their policy on excess and for the shortfall in payment due to this "rolled up excess".

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

• 2 months later...
thank you so much for your reply I am definately going to report them - still no cheque either!:x

i am currently having a job winning my claim with them, after all the bad reports about E & L i shall be cancelling my policy with them.

AFTER I RECEIVE MY CLAIM!!!!!!

Has anyone had any experience of making a complaint to a financial authority about this firm? It is so surprising that they are still in operation, still selling insurance and still apparently using all kinds of tricks and methods to get out of or delay paying claims.

I notice that this thread goes back some years and the same complaints are still being made about this firm. Recently found a review website with about 400 or more bad reviews at this Pet Insurance. Only a very few reviews were good. Some people had been paying their insurance for their animals for years with no pay out when they claimed after years of not making any claims. Sadly, this information got to me too late to avoid signing up for the product over a year ago for 2 pets!

They still appear on the comparison websites as though they were OK.

I have been waiting on a claim payout from pet-insurance.co.uk, the first pet insurance claim I've ever made, for some months. Unfortunately, I only found out about the reputation of this firm when the receptionist at the Vet Surgery told me today that they always ask up front for payment when people are insured with this firm! Now I have to make a second claim for a small operation unrelated to the first claim but for a larger sum. I am very worried that they will never pay out as it is a huge amount for me to pay.

Apparently they have numerous delay tactics. Mine include so far:

Sending an email reply to my claim asking for more information so that I had to go back to the vet again to ask them to send the information.

Also the email was sent to my email address with only the name of the sender in the subject box. No mention of 'Pet Insurance'. Consequently it was overlooked. A letter was sent to me weeks later and so on and on......

As advised on this thread I will carefully record all these tactics and keep all correspondence, so would be very interested to hear from anyone who has complained to a financial monitoring authority.

• 4 months later...

I am in the process of trying to get a claim for treatment of 3 conditions but hitting a brick wall. Have never claimed in 8 years and when we did they haven't even paid half the bill. They're saying that because there was no confirmed diagnosis that it would be classed as 1 condition instead of 3 separate problems. Unfortunately we were so distressed at the rapid decline of our dog we didn't ask the vets to submit individual claims and it went in one form. The vets have since split the claim but E & L aren't budging. Am now writing to the General Manager but don't expect any joy there either. Have spoken to the Ombudsman , but have to wait for the managers reply before taking it to them. I too will be cancelling my 3 other pets insurance after this has been settled. E & L are playing with words now, just a shame our dog couldn't have held on longer for a diagnosis eh ! 3 separate visits with 3 different symptoms = 1condition , so beware of this clause as they will only pay out per condition, not per symptoms or investigation if you cannot prove they aren't linked. Will let you know how this develops.

• 1 month later...

Hello,I know this thread is is a few years old but I am am having a real battle with E&L. Last year my dog damaged her left knee .I only hand bronze cover so I was out of pocket big time as they only covered her £500.00p per injury. I had to get her last three years medical report ..It took them 3months to pay this amount minus£150.admin.I had to stay with them when the renewal came up as no other pet insurances wouldnt cover her right back leg.So I upgraded to Gold cover and was told on the phone her right leg would be insured. Now her right knee on her back leg has now got cruciate problem. E&L are now weasling out as they say they sent a letter of exclusion out in november 2011. I never received it but have received many other letters etc and if I had I would not have continued with E&L as they are the worst pet insurer's I have ever come across and I have had dogs for fourty years. My dog need's the treatment and its totally disgusting that I have to have this additional stress of trying to get surgery for her and fight them to pay for it.If any one can help how to get this dispicable company to acknowlede what was agreed on the phone also on the policy I received does not refer or mention any exclusion to her knee ®. Please please

Do try calling the financial services insurance ombudsman and let them know what has happened. They called E and L before they investigated and lo and behold the next day I had a call to say they would pay up after all.

It's worth fighting it anyway.

E and L are terrible insurers and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole again.

Do try calling the financial services insurance ombudsman and let them know what has happened. They called E and L before they investigated and lo and behold the next day I had a call to say they would pay up after all.

It's worth fighting it anyway.

E and L are terrible insurers and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole again.

Hello Leggy thank you I will definitely do that as they are just the most dispicable and obnoxious company.Sad the only reason I renewed the policy as the said they would cover my dogs other leg other wise I would never have renewed it with them.

Kind regards

Delta1956

• 11 months later...

Hi guys.

Sorry to revive this old thread. I am horrified reading through your experiences but I am looking some advice in relation to E&L Insurance.

My Border Collie dog has been insured with E&L for almost 7 years and so far so good. I even made a hassle free claim 2 years ago when my dog jumped onto a stick open-mouthed and pierced his throat. Thankfully he made a full recovery and E&L paid up with no questions asked.

However, 4 weeks ago my dog suddenly started showing signs of discomfort. He was wimpering, having difficulty standing and oddly digging holes in the garden! I knew there was something wrong so I got him straight to out of hour vet hospital. To cut a long story short, he had somehow managed to steal and gorge himself on leftovers from a BBQ. Turns out his stomach had expanded so much with food and gas that it had twisted and was crushing his organs. The vet got him in for emergency surgery to empty his stomach contents, untwist it and attach it to his abdomen to prevent future twists. Thankfully he has made a remarkable recovery and is now back to full health. The vet bill was in excess of £2000 of which I paid £1000 on the morning after surgery in the hope I could claim this back and get the outstanding balance paid by E&L.

This is where I am having some issues. E&L are saying in order to process my claim they need to see evidence that my dog has had routine health checks every 12 months for the past 3 years (a clause they only added to my policy this year and which I hadn't noticed among the other terms and conditions). Unfortunately he has not had routine health checks every 12 months and as such I have no evidence.I have told E&L I dont think I can get this evidence as I am not sure if he has had routine health checks (I was deliberately being vague with them.) They are now asking for confirmation in writing that he has NOT had routine health checks and want me to send a copy of his vaccination card. Again, perhaps I have been ignorant but I was not aware my dog should have vaccinations every year and therefore I dont even have a vac card.

Sorry for rambling on a bit but my question is,if I admit in writing to them that my dog has not had routine health checks or vaccinations will my policy be void and as such not liable for a claim? Do I have a leg to stand on or can E&L legally not pay out? Does anyone have any advice as to how I should approach this? my dogs injury was in no way related to whether or not he had routine health checks or vaccinations so can they wiggle out on this technicality?

I am stressing as the vet bill has left me in financial straits and with a hefty balance still owing! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Ciaranmon

Hi guys.

Sorry to revive this old thread. I am horrified reading through your experiences but I am looking some advice in relation to E&L Insurance.

My Border Collie dog has been insured with E&L for almost 7 years and so far so good. I even made a hassle free claim 2 years ago when my dog jumped onto a stick open-mouthed and pierced his throat. Thankfully he made a full recovery and E&L paid up with no questions asked.

However, 4 weeks ago my dog suddenly started showing signs of discomfort. He was wimpering, having difficulty standing and oddly digging holes in the garden! I knew there was something wrong so I got him straight to out of hour vet hospital. To cut a long story short, he had somehow managed to steal and gorge himself on leftovers from a BBQ. Turns out his stomach had expanded so much with food and gas that it had twisted and was crushing his organs. The vet got him in for emergency surgery to empty his stomach contents, untwist it and attach it to his abdomen to prevent future twists. Thankfully he has made a remarkable recovery and is now back to full health. The vet bill was in excess of £2000 of which I paid £1000 on the morning after surgery in the hope I could claim this back and get the outstanding balance paid by E&L.

This is where I am having some issues. E&L are saying in order to process my claim they need to see evidence that my dog has had routine health checks every 12 months for the past 3 years (a clause they only added to my policy this year and which I hadn't noticed among the other terms and conditions). Unfortunately he has not had routine health checks every 12 months and as such I have no evidence.I have told E&L I dont think I can get this evidence as I am not sure if he has had routine health checks (I was deliberately being vague with them.) They are now asking for confirmation in writing that he has NOT had routine health checks and want me to send a copy of his vaccination card. Again, perhaps I have been ignorant but I was not aware my dog should have vaccinations every year and therefore I dont even have a vac card.

Sorry for rambling on a bit but my question is,if I admit in writing to them that my dog has not had routine health checks or vaccinations will my policy be void and as such not liable for a claim? Do I have a leg to stand on or can E&L legally not pay out? Does anyone have any advice as to how I should approach this? my dogs injury was in no way related to whether or not he had routine health checks or vaccinations so can they wiggle out on this technicality?

I am stressing as the vet bill has left me in financial straits and with a hefty balance still owing! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

....yes this is clause they keep in the small print.they are the pits..I am sorry to hear of plight..check with your vet.maybe he gave your dog a health check prior to operation? I wouldn't recommend E&L to my worst enemy. Speak to the insurance ombudsman as well this always helps

Check everything and then check again with E&L they seem to change the goal posts as and when they like.please speak with insurance ombudsman,they are are brilliant and very supportive and also aware of E&L practices. Good luck at least your dogs recovered or recovering well.

• Haha 1

If they added the clause at the last renewal they cannot impose the restriction prior to renewal eg expect you to have had routine annual tests prior to when they imposed it.

When did he last have an annual routine test?

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments and that's a great point you make dacouc.

E&L are asking for my dogs past 3 years clinical history. They are saying they cant process the claim until they can fully substantiate the 3 year history.

The problem is that the history provided to them has gaps between feb 09 and Oct 11 where my dog was not seen by any vet for any reason as he was in perfect health and I was not aware he should be getting routine health checks or vaccinations. I have told E&L I don't think I have any evidence of him having attending any vet during these dates but they want me to confirm this is writing and to provide a copy of his vaccination card. I don't have a vaccination card as he has not been vaccinated since he was a pup...My concern is that if I confirm this with them in writing they will say find some way of wriggling out of settling the claim, but as you say dacouc they cant impose a restriction for things which did or not happen before renewal so that has put my mind at ease. Thank you!

I have now booked my dog in for a routine health check and vaccination next week which is before the policy expires in 2 weeks time so they cant try to wiggle out of anything else!!

Edited by Ciaranmon

As I mentioned before an Insurer cannot apply a requirement to the policy and make it retrospective, your Policy is in effect a contract and as with any other contract you cannot retrospectively change the contract.

When was the policy due for renewal?

Did E&L make it clear in the renewal documents about this change in the cover?

What is the exact wording of this restriction?

Should the dog have had a vaccination/booster ? What does the Vet say about vaccination / booster frequency?

The current policy is due for renewal on the 15th of this month. I don't think I will be renewing but worry this will affect my current claim...

E&L did mention in the policy that there were new exclusions applied.The wording is "Policy review for your pet - Please read carefully - Important changes enclosed"

Then on page 4 theres a full page of bullet points outlining exclusions that have been applied to the policy and one right at the bottom says "Your pet must have a general health check and any subsequent Treatment recommended by the vet every 12 months"

I haven't been able to speak to my vet personally, only the veterinary nurses who have told me all dogs should get a vaccination every year but there is no mention of this in my previous policies over the years (This was only added to my 2012-2013 policy) so surely E&L cant NOT process my claim due to these medical history gaps?

Hi Ciaranmon,

I assume the current 12 months' insurance expires on 14th August and included the new Term, that your pet should be checked over every 12 months and given boosters, etc as recommended by the vet.

I think it is THIS requirement that the insurers will use to deny your claim. They'll say you failed to have your pet checked from August 2012 up to July 2013 when he suffered the twisted gut. They will also say it was your responsibility to have him checked over at some time during this period because you hadn't had him checked at any time during the 12 months previously.

I think it is not the gaps in your dog's medical history that put your claim at risk. It's the fact that you failed to have the dog checked when the new Term was introduced, despite the fact that you knew no vet had checked your dog in the previous 12 months.

Even though none of this is necessarily relevant to the twisted gut, the insurer may deny the claim due to your failure to comply with the new Term of the policy.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Ciaranmon,

I assume the current 12 months' insurance expires on 14th August and included the new Term, that your pet should be checked over every 12 months and given boosters, etc as recommended by the vet.

I think it is THIS requirement that the insurers will use to deny your claim. They'll say you failed to have your pet checked from August 2012 up to July 2013 when he suffered the twisted gut. They will also say it was your responsibility to have him checked over at some time during this period because you hadn't had him checked at any time during the 12 months previously.

I think it is not the gaps in your dog's medical history that put your claim at risk. It's the fact that you failed to have the dog checked when the new Term was introduced, despite the fact that you knew no vet had checked your dog in the previous 12 months.

Even though none of this is necessarily relevant to the twisted gut, the insurer may deny the claim due to your failure to comply with the new Term of the policy.

Depending on the exact wording of the restriction, it may be possible to have the routine check done now before the expiry of the policy.

This assumes the wording is not very tight and does not specify at what point in the policy year the routine check is carried out.

Hence why I asked for the exact wording.

By their nature E&L will probably deny the claim but after complaining / ombudsman they often relent.

Nasty Insurer

Depending on the exact wording of the restriction, it may be possible to have the routine check done now before the expiry of the policy.

This assumes the wording is not very tight and does not specify at what point in the policy year the routine check is carried out.

Hence why I asked for the exact wording.

By their nature E&L will probably deny the claim but after complaining / ombudsman they often relent.

Nasty Insurer

That's what I'm thinking. I am taking him for a health check and vaccination this afternoon which falls within the "every 12 months".

Hi Ciaranmon,

I think that's your best option given the circumstances, even though it's probably "slamming the pen gate shut, after the sheep have bolted."

You will have to see if they consider the visit to be sufficient but I really have my doubts.

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Ciaranmon,

I think that's your best option given the circumstances, even though it's probably "slamming the pen gate shut, after the sheep have bolted."

You will have to see if they consider the visit to be sufficient but I really have my doubts.

It will really depend on the exact wording of the restriction, if it just says along the lines of every twelve months the OP should be ok. They may well have to go as far as the Ombudsman to enforce it however the Ombudsman will side with the OP if the wording is ambiguous and has a tendency to look at whats fair and be sympathetic to consumers.

Thanks again for the input guys.

So, my dog got his health check and vaccination yesterday afternoon. I was able to explain the insurance situation with the vet who seemed to think they were just going through the motions. He said he cant see how they could not pay up. He did say it would probably drag on for a while but they should still pay in full.

I will update here when I have more information :)

Thanks for the update.

Is the vet willing to wait for pay't of the balance just now, or have you had to settle in full for now.