RopeyDonkey vs LloydsTSB

RopeyDonkey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It begins.

Hello all, looking forward to wiping some grins off of Lloyds' collective faces :). One of my friends used one of those sites that do it for you and keep i think it was 15% but i want to do this myself so here goes:

Have drafted an initial letter based on the template posted on the BBC's website. Just a 'fill-in-the-blanks' job and its not too strongly worded.

I hope they cave nice and quickly in time for the summer :D.

The nice thing about the BBC's letter is that it pretty much stops stalling methods

I hereby give you 14 days to refund the charges back on to my account. For the avoidance of doubt, if this is not done within 14 days, I will commence my claim in the courts without further warning. This action will inevitably involve you in additional costs.

just one letter then blammy :)

I hereby give you 14 days to refund the charges back on to my account. For the avoidance of doubt, if this is not done within 14 days, I will commence my claim in the courts without further warning. This action will inevitably involve you in additional costs.

just one letter then blammy :)

Don't think this would go down too well in the eyes of the court! It doesn't actually show that you have entered into a meaningful dialogue with the bank and given them adequate time to respond. On what legal basis do you expect them to return your charges if you havn't quoted any law or regulations? The whole idea is to get the banks to show how much it actually costs to bounce cheques etc.:confused:

Sorry if you misunderstood, the above was only a small section of the letter, the whole letter can be found at :

BBC NEWS | Business | How to claim back penalty charges

I can only imagine that this letter has been put together by someone who is extremely confident and highly qualified for the BBC to publish it on their website as a template. It is because of this that I chose it over the ones posted on CAG, not that I imagine it makes any difference at all in the end.

Well, RoyalMail tracking say Lloyds have it now. Will probably give them a little over the 14 days so there are no arguments on that front. Anyone know if Lloyds are getting more stubborn/awkward as time goes on? Or less...

First letter sent 19 April '07, and received 21 April '07 recorded delivery.

I can only imagine that this letter has been put together by someone who is extremely confident and highly qualified for the BBC to publish it on their website as a template

It's possible, I have no idea.

But the BBC's advice about making estimated claims is at best laughable and at worst totally irresponsible.

If one year's statements show £70 of charges then you can estimate the total amount of charges for 6 years will be: £70 x 6 = £420.00

If you have 5 months of statements and these show that you have accumulated £150 of charges in that time, then you can calculate that you have been charged on average £30 a month. (£150 divided by 5 = £30). There are 72 months in six years so 72 x £30 = £2,160.00 (if your account hasn't been open for the past six years then only multiply the average amount by the number of months the account has been open).

Fill in the necessary details in the template for the "estimated charges letter" in the box below and post it Recorded Delivery to your bank/lender's branch address.

Your bank/lender will almost certainly work out how many charges you have actually incurred in the past six years.

I hope there aren't too many people who have followed this advice, on the basis that it's come from the BBC and therefore must be kosher.

hmm, fair point. However I assume that it is then up to the bank to pay up or correct you on the ammount owed. Im not sure, but it seems reasonable to assume that some thought has been put into this by someone qualified. Well, I hope so at least.

• 4 weeks later...

"Lloyds TSB has become the first bank to win a court case after being sued by a customer for imposing supposedly unfair overdraft penalty charges. District Judge Cooke, at Birmingham County Court, dismissed a claim for £2,545 from Kevin Berwick."

BBC NEWS | Business | Bank's overdraft charges upheld

Am I the only person that reads the news? Or is there a massive new thread somewhere I have missed stupidly?

I hate to say it but if you read the case notes in the .pdf file link the judge makes his case very clear :(

It would seem that work needs to be done to clarify 'cloaking' of charges and perhaps uncover some legal precidents in this area to strengthen our arguements. I dont think that if it was me in that situation i could have done much better, it would seem that he tried pretty much everything. Lloyds didnt even bother turning up and they won!!!

Am I the only person that reads the news? Or is there a massive new thread somewhere I have missed stupidly?

If I have been helpful, PLEASE click the scales

You may receive differing advice as people have had different experiences. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I offer is done so informally, without prejudice & without liability.

I WON !!!!

HERE WE GO AGAIN .... BRING IT ON

:D