• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

LLoyds - Rhino69's thread.

Rhino69
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Lloyds recently hit me with a £35.00 charge for returning an unpaid cheque. Granted, they had written to me notifying me of this, but I wrote back and told them that if they did apply the charge, I would complain to the FOS and the BCSB (which I did!).

As I am STILL waiting for Yorkshire to cough up nearly £800.00, which THEY (Yorkshire) already agreed to do, another cheque bounced at Lloyds and Lloyds stated their intention to apply another charge later this month.

(I'm STILL waiting for responses from FOS & BCSB too!)

After personally delivering my second letter to Lloyds in Kettering, Northants addressed to the Manager, David Devine, and marked Private & Personal, expressing my complete disgust at his total failure to even respond to my first letter, also hand-delivered (And signed for and dated - I always get POD's) I gave him 48 hours to refund my money. Over a week later, I got a letter from some doofus in Birmingham saying that they have refunded the first charge, but will STILL apply other charges as necessary.

I have now written again to David Devine at Lloyds in Kettering, expressing my utter disgust at his arrogance and ignorance and telling him that I hold him personally responsible for the administration of my account at his branch where I opened my account, and that if any further charges are applied, I shall ask the police to bring charges of theft, or accessory to theft against him!

I have read the Theft act and the Theft (Amendment) Act fairly thoroughly and it clearly states that if someone intends to deprive one of one's own property,(Which they do!) then that is theft!

I also had another idea, although I'm not certain if it would work.

I could always close my account and tell Lloyds that if they wanted their overdraft back, (Minus the unlawful charges of course!) they would have to take ME to court in order to do so, and if so, I could then question THEM under oath about their true costs involved in making these charges!

I would be willing to try this if I thought it would work.

I am so mad at all these money-grabbing bankers I'm willing to try anything (Legal) to teach them a lesson.

In my opinion, the Financial Ombudsman, BCSB, and the OFT are a waste of time as they take far too long to do anything (If at all) without any satisfactory results.

Obviously, we can't expect any help fron the government as they have been raking in billions in taxes from the bank's obscene profits as they plunder the pockets of us poor folks with their unlawful charges!

First step -calm down. We all get frustrated with the banks but by keeping a cool head you will get much better results. Some of the terms you have used in this thread are potentially libelous and as such will probably (rightfully) be edited.

Secondly there is very little point communicating with LTSB at branch level. They, generally, have no authority to refund charges (particularly in todays climate) they will simply pass the matter up the chain as they have been told to do.

Stick carefully to your timelines and play the rather ludicrous game that LLoyds expect you to play and you will prevail - good luck.

• Haha 1

You are rightly annoyed about this, but you can get all this money back if you follow the process - including any future charges. The points you raise are being discussed in other threads, however any action using the Theft Act would have to be taken through a Magistrates Court, and would be extremely expensive - plus there is a massive risk in costs if it goes pear-shaped.

The banks are gradually crumbling...it may take 6/12/18 months, but eventually they are going to have to accept they are acting unlawfully. Until that happens though, each claim that goes through the process is another piece of evidence that the OFT, FSA and the Government will eventually be forced to act upon.

I agree with nicsussex.

A few observations...

If you think about it they have charged you penalties for not keeping your agreement and by following the processes here, you can claim those back, with some interest as well.

Now if you paid out more money from your account, than you had funds available to cover, did your bank call you and accuse you of stealing the money?

Didn't think so.

None of us are criminals, we sometimes have delays with payments into our accounts, or forget the odd direct debit going out, so we end up taking some of the banks money.

The bank need to make a profit and use this penalty system to assist with that, they will say these are just charges for a service.

In light of this, you may wish to edit your post to remove theft references.

Simply click on the edit button nr the bottom of your post.

So now, drop into the FAQ's section and have a good read how to make your claim.

Any questions just post and we're here to help.

Read, Read and Read some more.

The answers are all out there...

By the way, it's your claim. I only offer an opinion as another reader. :confused:

Hey! We all know these charges ARE unlawful, there is no reason to have to jump through the bank's hoops or dance to their tunes to get what is rightfully ours.

There's far too much procrastination involved and it's time for new legislation to force the banks to act lawfully.

Firstly if you let the bank take you to court for your qverdraft etc, yes i agree that you could deny all of the claim based upon it partly being unlawful charges etc.

The problem with this approach is that unless you already have a very poor credit record you will be defaulted before you can blink and that sticks like shi-ite to a blanket. trust me six years of over-expensive credit does not correlate with a few hundred quids worth of charges.

we are all angry that the banks seem to think they rip us off without reprisal but our day is coming and coming soon.

For now focus your energy on claiming them back with a few letters and a little patience. I dont know of anyone yet who has failed to get them refunded.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

You are right there. However this legislation does not exist at the moment. However the legislation that makes these charges unlawful does exist and has done for a very long time - use this to fight your corner - you must know that it works after your claim against YB. As Alan has said in the post above every succesful claim is a small nail in the coffin for the banks and their continued stance on this issue.

There's far too much procrastination involved and it's time for new legislation to force the banks to act lawfully.

...and that is what many people are working for on this site.

Many of the programmes shown on TV over the last few months have originated form this forum. Certainly the things you are suggesting have been discussed, and you will find different users putting together new approaches and ideas.

Your input would be very welcome.

Hey, I already am unable to obtain any credit and have been for some time and after my few very small claims from other banks, I truly believe that i am on some hidden blacklist. but do you know? I don't really care. I shall live without credit from now on!

• 1 month later...

Since I was unable to make my monthly credit card payment to Lloyds last month due to Unlawful charges applied to my current account, I have received three threatening letters in the last week, and also received four or more phone calls, which,when I called the number found by dialling 1471 which was 01268297654, all I got were three tones and a disconnect.

I found out that the origin of the call was in Basildon, Essex.

The last call was on Sunday, and I believe I read on one of the forums that it is illegal for any firm to call you after 20:00 hrs or on a Sunday.

When I called BT tonight, they told me that the call came from Lloyds.

As I have previously told both Yorkshire and Direct line, I shall not tolerate ANY calls to my home phone and all communication MUST be in writing.

I intend to report Lloyds to Ofwatch and Oftel for harassment, and if I receve further calls from them after asking them to desist, I shall report them for harassment under the prevention of harassment act!

i had the same last month, same thing i did not pay, they called me 5-6 times aday i was not in till 7 ish ,they tried be be clever on phone asked for me to id myself so i asked them to id themselves told me to call a number ....yea of course i will, they hung up called back again kept getting a dead line finally they got me and give gave them the run around told them i would not speak to a cal centre out off england, she finnnaly tranfered me to england , they ar a load off .......tsb credit card are nxt on the reclaim list:)

Since I was unable to make my monthly credit card payment to Lloyds last month due to Unlawful charges applied to my current account,

My daughter had exactly the same, and even writing letters makes no difference.:mad:

And she cannot understand what they are saying.

She thinks she now has an agreement for £5 a week (should be a month) so we shall see.

They are a nightmare, so complain away, the more the merrier:cool:

LTSB court date 25/7/07

17/7/07 I WON I WON I WON!!!!:p :grin:

HSBC court date 11/9/07 (stayed)

CapOne lba 7/1/08-15/3/08 WON.

Citicards lba 14/1/08

Read Read and Read Some:razz: More

If I've been helpful in anyway please tip my scales:rolleyes:

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts.

"I intend to report Lloyds to Ofwatch and Oftel for harassment"

Don't forget to report them to the police too.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I've been receiving a lot of these phone calls too. Sometimes they "hide" the number sometimes they don't. They caught me yesterday (after ringing 4 or 5 times in 24 hours). The lady who spoke was very aggressive, wouldn't listen to anything I had to say. When I told her I was not going to make a payment as the account is in dispute she told me the account was not in dispute!!!?? I asked her to make a note that I do not want to receive phone calls and could they please put everything in writing...she just said until I pay I will continue to receive harassing phone calls.

I found this... harassment by telephone - response letter which I will be sending first thing on Tuesday.

• 1 month later...

Following my recent battles with Lloyds and their intransigence,I opened a parchute account with HSBC, (I did apply to Nationwide first to open a BASIC ACCOUNT but was rejected by them!)

On Monday 18 June, I opened my new BASIC ACCOUNT with HSBC. I then went across the road to Lloyds and told them I wanted to cancel my Direct Debits. "Which ones?", I was asked. "All of them", I replied. I was told that All my Direct Debits had now been cancelled.

The very next day, in plenty of time before other DD's were due,I started to call those with whom I had Direct Debits to notify them that I had a new Bank Account.

The TV Licence people did this instantly over the phone.

I called my Insurance broker, only to be told by recorded message that their number had now been changed to an 0845 number - so I hung up!

I called the Town Hall about my Council Tax DD they said they'd send a mandate straight away and I was to return it ASAP. (It took a week to arrive, and I took it to the Town Hall well in time for the 01 July Payment, but it took them so long to process, I now have to pay double on 01 August!

I called the Water Board and they sent a mandate about three days later.

After work that Tuesday, 19th. I visited my local tax office and told them I wanted to change my bank details for the (Alleged) overpayment of tax credits that these ********had stuck me with. They said I should phone. I told them that I do NOT call 0845 numbers. After a short discussion, they agreed to call the office responsible for me. Despite having the reference number that was on the letter that they had sent me, they could not find the information, so I gave them my Nat Ins number.

It's as well that I had not phoned as this took well over 20 minutes. They said they would send a mandate and to return it asap. Same as the Town Hall - took a week!

After visiting the Tax Office, I drove the three miles to my insurance broker. When I walked in and gave my name, the guy looked a bit embarrassed, and I asked why. he told me that their head office had sent me a letter asking why I had cancelled my Direct Debits and did I want to pay off my balance in full!

It seems that Lloyds Bank had immediately notified those with whom I had Direct debits, telling them that I had cancelled. In the following days, I had letters from Orange, The Water Board (Who I had already spoken to!). The Council, The Income Tax idiots and the Insurance expressing concernthat I had cancelled my DD's!

I do not belive that it is the business or the right of Lloyds to notify those with whom I have DD's. I immediately notified all those concerned myself about my new account details. I believe that Lloyds were p*****d off as I had cancelled all my DD's and my Wage payments into their bank!

Wait... the best is yet to come.

This Friday, 06 July, I had a letter from Lloyds to say that they had made all the payments from my account and that as this now exceeded my overdraft limit, another charge of £30.00 would be taken on 01 August!

THERE WERE NO PAYMENTS TO MAKE - I HAD CANCELLED ALL MY DIRECT DEBITS!!!

My Lloyds account is now effectively closed, and if they are stupid enouigh to keep adding charges, where do they think they are going to get the money from? I have personally delivered three letters to the branch, addressed to the manager, but he has just passed these to another office to deal with.

IN MY OPINION, this manager is a useless poltroon without the guts to deal with his customers in person or by letter and is not fit to hold the position of manager as clearly he is incapable of managing customers accounts or dealing with customers complaints.

Rather than hiding behind the bulk of the Black Horse again, IN MY OPINION, he is not even fit to clean out the stables!!!:mad:

:-x I totally agree with this, I have had so much trouble with direct debits, they seem to be able to do what they want and no-one seems to be resonsible for anything, My account has been closed by Lloyds and they are still putting charges on my account >!! why I do not know they closed my account!!! I have just now got to the stage where I am refusing to contact them about it now other than anything to do with claiming my charges back, am just about to file court proceedings so this should be fun!

Does anyone know if you win can you insist on payment by a cheque? Or do they put the money into an overdrawn account?

SHE'S COMING TO CLAIM BACK HOW MUCH ???

me v lloyds TSB

me v southern pacific mortgages

When my partner shifted his account, he got charged too. They are idiots - you're right! We have since successfully claimed his charges - paid in full as of today - they tried every trick in the book to get out of it all. I don't think all the people who work there are idiots - it's the same with all large organisations these days, staff are told what to do/say and have to stick with it. Gone are the days when people had a bit of nouse and were allowed to use it.........

At work the only notification the banks give when people cancel a dd is electronically....bascially we get a dd cancelled against the mandate. All dd's are set up with a mandate (which has all the dd details logged) and for us to set up a new mandate it takes 16 working day's as we use a dd gaurantee that states we will allways give at least 10days notice should the dd change and that includes setting a new dd up. lloyds do have trouble cancelling dd's for some reason and then whack you with charges. Claim the charges back.....oh and if you cancel any dd's get them to give you a print out to confirm and then they can't say you didn't cancel some and not other's...

and regarding 0845 number's... we use 0845 or 01/02 number's for different department's and we get complaint's about both (it's no win for me at work!!!) because some people call 01/02 number's free and pay for 0845 and some say calling our 01/02 number's are national rate (which is correct if non local) and want an 0845 local rate number

sorry if that seems me having a dig but I get moaned at daily for this!!!:-|

If you don't like using 0845/0870 numbers try the following website saynoto0870, this gives landline numbers for most 0845/0870 numbers. Very useful for banks and other financial institutions. Some even have freepone numbers!!

• 1 month later...

Customer Services: 0207 785 7654, Soon Changing To 01733 347 007, Or 0500 179 050 I Think The Last One Is A Freephone Number.

Phonebank Express Helpline 0500 758 009, Or 01633 759 430.

Plus You Will Get To Speak To A British Call Centre Operative.

Hope This Helps.

I've been having problems with Lloyds TSB too. Got a letter dated 10th August saying they'll refund my charges into my account within 10 working days. phoned up on the 26th to find out where the money was as there was a DD due out on the 28th. Was told that the only thing to do was cancel the DD since there wasn't enough money in the account and phone them back today (28th) to ask about the refund.

Looked at internet banking yesterday to find they'd taken the DD early but dated it the 28th and they still don't know about the money.

The girl i spoke to also said that i'd compromised my security number when she phoned me back and I'll have to go into the branch with ID to be able to discuss my account over the phone. It's a piece of nonsense that every time you phone the bank you get told different information, and even then it's usually wrong.

I worked for LTSB a couple of years ago so I know how their system used to work and to be honest i think they really need training for their staff.