Mum lives abroad now - can she claim?

kittykat83
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6179 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

My Mum has moved to France but she still holds an account with Abbey and her statements etc are sent to her French address. She is wanting to claim charges back, can we do it via my address in England?

Any advice appreciated

Kat

Yes that wouldn't be a problem. She can fly over anytime, but like you say it probably wouldnt get that far.

So she needs her statements, does she have to send the SAR? If so, i'll get her to sign the letter and post it to me, then I'll forward it to Rbos. In the first letter does she need to state that all correspondence for this claim should go to my address? Or should we say that I'm acting on her behalf from the beginning and do it all in my name and address?

So she needs her statements, does she have to send the SAR? If so, i'll get her to sign the letter and post it to me, then I'll forward it to Rbos.

Yes, that's fine

In the first letter does she need to state that all correspondence for this claim should go to my address?

This would be best, with the letter headed with your address

Or should we say that I'm acting on her behalf from the beginning and do it all in my name and address?

I wouldn't mention this, since the bank may refuse to deal with you. In other words, everything in your mother's name, with her signature, but your address
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Talking to my Mum again and she's going to go ahead with claiming, via my address. I'm wondering if the banks have questioned addresses/identity in the past which may be the reason the paragraph below is included in the SAR?

"If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable."

Obviously we would need to change this paragraph and say something which states that all correspondence should go to my address in England. My concern is whether they will question this because all her other correspondence RE her account goes to her French address, and delay the claim?

Anyone know what I should say in the SAR to avoid any problems?

I've got a nasty feeling that it won't make any difference. They probably don't read them that closely, after all they're getting hundreds of identical letters every week. They probably just log the request with the a/c no. and that will then automatically throw up the French address as the return address, which will mean your mother posting them back to you.

You can send the prelim and LBA (with your mothers address) and she can email any replies back to you ( or read them over the phone). They're going to be bog standard replies anyway

Once you file at court, there is a space to write a different address (ie yours) for service of documents, so any court papers would then come to you