• Tweets

• Another one. Apparently this has been hushed up for about three months. They're working through their majority quite fast with all the sackings. Not that they've done anything about Menzies yet but he sounds like a blackmail risk. Here's the original article.   Revealed: Tory MP allegedly demanded campaign cash to pay ‘bad people’ ARCHIVE.PH archived 18 Apr 2024 07:32:33 UTC  
    • and another one   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds "According to a source close to Mr Menzies, the MP had met a man on an online dating website and gone to the man’s flat, before subsequently going with another man to a second address where he continued drinking. He was sick at one point and several people at the address demanded £5,000, claiming it was for cleaning up and other expenses." The sum, which rose to £6,500, was eventually paid by his office manager from her personal bank account and subsequently reimbursed from funds raised from donors   Never mind losing whip - how about criminal charges   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The Fylde MP is alleged to have used campaign funds to pay off ‘bad people’ and cover medical expenses   ALSO According to the The Times, £14,000 given by donors for use on Tory campaign activities was transferred to Mr Menzies’ personal bank accounts and used for private medical expenses. The MP, who is one of Rishi Sunak’s trade envoys, is also said to have called his 78-year-old former campaign manager at 3.15am one day in December, claiming he was locked in a flat and needed £5,000 as a matter of “life and death”.   Hes supposed to use funding from Taxpayers and doners for a life of service, not funding a life of drink and debauchery Hope his parliamentary expenses are also investigated.   In fact, perhaps Mr Bates next role in life should be as an independent investigator of Parliamentary expenses?
    • He asked for that one, didn't he?
    • Trump was unable to make it through the first day of court without falling asleep on Monday, which sparked a whole host of jokes, memes and even a new nickname, 'Dozy Don'    
    • The shift to card and contactless technology in the past decade has been rapid - not just in Britain, but in all sorts of remote pockets of the world. This is yet a further sign of it.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

ICY m-i-l -V- Barclaycard claim 7 **WON**

ICY
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Having been unable to find a template to remind bank their 40 days is almost up i have drafted the following letter together, how does this look to everyone, is this letter suitable to go ?

Dear Sir/Madam

RE Former account number: XXXXXXXXXX

Following on from my letter of the 16th April 2007 in which I made a DPA 1998 Subject Access Request, I am disappointed to note that as of today’s date, the requested information has not yet been sent to me.

In this letter I requested you to send me a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my banking history with your organisation.

I enclosed a cheque number 100326 which I note from my bank records this has not yet been presented to the bank. I wish to take this opportunity to remind you that you have 40 days from receiving my payment to respond, as you received my cheque on the 18th April 2007 this means you have until 28th May 2007 to forward the requested information to me.

If you fail to send me the information requested by this date, I shall be reporting you to the Information commissionaire, and will be taking further legal action.

Yours

:madgrin:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had the following letter

Dear fool who trys to take money from us

Thank you for your recent letter, your details have been passed to me in order that i may respond then wipe my arse with it in my capacity as customer relationship manager, Dont make me laugh

I am sorry you feel the charges you have incurred are unfair Course you are we believe that our charges are both fair and transparent, and we make them clear in our terms and conditions, and on the reverse of every monthly statement. Oh well that makes it ok then, they must be lawful

In your correspondance you have outlined a legal arguement which you say supports your view. As I am sure you will appreciate Barclaycard is aware of all the information you have drawn to our attention. I must inform you however, that we disagree with your legal analysis. So, you have done the same with everyone else and still paid out, whos wrong here

Putting the above to one side, as a good will guesture and without any admission of liability, I am prepared to credit your account with the difference between the charges that you have incurred and the current £12 fee. This would amount to £355.00 Awww shucks thats so nice of them go then give me the money back into my account, OH WAIT you cant the account is C L O S E D and passed to DCA air heads.

The adjustment will be confirmed on your next statement, HOW when you closed my account and sold it on to a DCA It will be cheques you will be sending out thanks very much

May I take this opportunity to remind you that the best ay to avoid similar charges in the future is to remain within your credit limit and ensure that your monthly payment reaches us with the required timeframe Why when you have closed my account, you no longer deal with it.

Should you have any further questions regarding this matter please do not hesitate to contact me. What questions like wheres the £835 you owe me If my reply does not meet with your expectations you may ultimately be eligible to refer to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Further details of this service are available on request. Nah i think i will just see you in court, thanks all the same If I have not heard from you within 8 weeks from the date of this letter, i will close my complaint file in accordance with our usual practice. You just try closing it buster

Yours

Tim Young

Barclaycard Customer Services,

Didnt even have the decency to sign the letter

The following petition has been put on the government website

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Ensure UK citizens have the right to recapture illegal bank charges up until the day a UK court find them legal. More details

Petition to: Ensure UK citizens have the right to recapture illegal bank charges up until the day a UK court find them legal.

The following petition has been put on the government website

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Ensure UK citizens have the right to recapture illegal bank charges up until the day a UK court find them legal. More details

Petition to: Ensure UK citizens have the right to recapture illegal bank charges up until the day a UK court find them legal.

Not so sure about that :confused:

i got the same letter from tim young...LBA went off two weeks tomorrow, so I'll be filing at court on Monday.

Haven't heard back from them since then

"Banks are people that will lend you an umbrella when it's sunny, but demand it back the minute it starts raining"

Brad v Halifax

22/08/06 - Preliminary Letter sent requesting full repayment of charges

06/09/06 - LBA sent to bank

Nope it is not right MH, i copied it, the OP is now aware but it is too late to change it now, i didnt notice till after i had posted it

• 6 months later...

Hi Icy,

As I said on your other claim (BC 8), a new LBA may be a good idea as they are tending to settle more readily now compared to last year.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 1 month later...

Had a response from BC which goes as follows:

Dear

I write further to the complaint you raised with regard to default charges applied to your account.

I am sorry that this matter has not been resolved to your satisfaction. I have reviewed your complaint and detail my findings below.

Our understanding of your complaint:

You feel that the charges incurred on your barclaycard account are unfair and you have requested a refund of the charges plus interest.

Background to the events leading to your complaint:

Following publication of the report by the OFT, Barclaycard reduced our fees to £12 with effect from August 2006. Therefore, we agreeg to credit your account with the difference between the charges that you incurred and £12.

Having checked our records, I can confirm that you have been charged fees totalling £XXX.XX we refunded XXX.XX of these charges.

Summary of our Internal Investigation:

In the circumstances, as a guesture of goodwill, I have credited your Barclaycard account with a further £XXX.XX representing the remaining charges and £XX.XX interest, calculated at 8%. However, we believe that our charges are fair and reasonable.

I am sorry if this is not the outcome you waqnted, however, I hope my explanation is helpful. For the purposes of the Financial Ombudsman Service you may regard this letter as our "final Response" to your complaint.

You will find more information about the Financial Ombudsman Service in the enclosed leaflet. Please note you have six months from the date of this letter to refer to the Financial Ombudsman Service for investigation.

Yours ...

So good result in a way that they have refunded full amount inc interest, however they say they have refunded the account, I am not sure but I think the account may have been defaulted, and the account may have been closed, can i write to them and request that they refund the full amount by cheque, MIL thinks this account is with a DCA, if that is the case then surely Barclaycard will no longer control the account?

Can anyone advise please.

Can i push for full amount by cheque, or should i consider this claim closed and won.

Hi Icy,

If there is any other debt due to BC or Barclays, they'll want to off-set the refund to reduce any debt.

If there's nothing owing and the a/c is closed, contact BC use the Final Response address or phone no. and ask for a cheque in settlement.

Let us know how it goes.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

The account was in arrears, i believe they closed the account and have passed it onto a debt collector.

A cheque would have been nice but if they are unwilling to do this then we will have to accept the fact that they have reduced the debt.

Will get MIL to check who holds the debt and make sure the amount is reduced.

If the refund doesn't clear the arrears, at least it'll reduce them.

If it does, you should ask for a cheque for the balance due to you.

In any event, I'll get your title changed to **WON**.

Congratulations and please make a site donation if poss.