Eanest Jones - poor service

yoshimi176

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5266 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI all,

I bought an engagement ring from Earnest Jones just before christmas. As it was a surprise I didn't know the exact size and was told I could have it re-sized for free after I proposed.

We returned to the shop in January and was told it would take 3 weeks.

After longer than 3 weeks I received a call to say it was ready - I went to the shop and upon inspecting the ring found that the small diamond on the inside of the band was missing. The shop apologised and said that theuy would get it fixed. A couple of weeks went by and the shop phoned, said they were unable to repair the ring but had a replacement in the correct size which was exactly the same ring as the original. It was a little dissapointing but we agreed.

We returned to the shop to be given a ring with a lesser quality diamond. I explained that this was not acceptable and we wanted the same quality ring as the one I had originally paid for (it wasn't cheap). Again they apologised and said they would have to order it in especially from Israel.

Since then I have been told numerous time 'oh it should be in next week'. It is now April and my patience is wearing thin.

Do I have a cause of action?

Cheers

Danny

The first thing you need to work out is what, exactly, you want to end up with.

Would you be happy with a refund, or are you desperate to get the exact ring they are supposedly shipping to you?

In any event, a replacement or repair needs to be done within a reasonable amount of time.

If you would be happy with a refund, and go to a different branch (or different retailer) to get something else, then I would suggest this to them as the next course of action.

It sounds like you've been waiting at least a month, probably 2 or 3, for them to sort this out. I think you've been more than patient.

If they won't agree to a refund (if that's an action you are happy with) then issue them an ultimatum. 7 further days to either replace or refund, or you will begin court action. Then just go ahead with MCOL if they don't comply.

I could reasonably see why a refund might not be appropriate (FROM YOUR SIDE) as you may want your fiancee to wear the ring you chose for her, not a completely different one from another shop. But I can't see why it wouldn't be the best course of action for Ernest Jones.

But knowing what YOU want is the best place to start.

Hi Jampot, thanks for that. Yes, we'd be dissapointed to change the ring but the level of service we've received has left a bitter taste and so a refund seems to be the only way to get this sorted. I sent the store manager a letter yesterday, spelling out just what has happened and also how dissapointed we both are. Apparantly the ring will be ready 'next week' - I oput in the letter that if it is not ready for collection by 26 April, then we want a full refund.

That was absolutely the right thing to do and it means if the ring is not in by that date you can hold them in breach of contract and would be perfectly entitled to a full refund.

Good luck.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.