• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

My Mortgage Fees Were Refunded!!!!!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All...

I have a few questions,

1. I originally took out a mortgage with kensington nearly 2 years ago after about 1 year I received a letter informing me that my mortgage is now with "Mortgage Agency Services" not sure why? Has anyone else ramdomly been moved to these?

2. I have been in this mortgage for nearly 2 years now (22months) I'm tied in for 3 years, we are about 75% through selling it because the payments are rediclous, anyway I have been told I have to pay about £16k redemption (6%), am I right in thinking after the sale a can claim it back?

3. I have done 2 bank charge claims which were successful, the question I have here is - with the court action, isnt there some sort amount, I think its £5K that your allowed through small claims court, if so what other court and is it riskier?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi money ,

i was with spml who sold my mortgage to mortgage agency services the rate these people charge is ridiculous .I am now in the process of starting my claim for a refund of fees of these people theyre a subsidury of a bulilding society but i cant for the life of me remember who???

if my advice has been of any help to you then please click the scales ! Thank you :D

Hi Money

16k is an obscene amount to charge you!

For 16K you could possibly be looking at a multi-track and risk going to the High Court as oppose to even the county court. You risk paying the banks costs if you lose and these are going to be much greater because in the High court generally only barristers as oppose to solicitors can appear (although there are some solicitors which have rights of audience in the High Court). So what this means is that the bank will have two lawyers fees the solicitors for preparing the case and the barristers for presenting the case in court. The actual court costs will also be greater.

Although, balanced against this is the fact the bank is likely going to want to avoid going to the High court and 16K is a lotta money to lose.

This is something you need to consider very carefully and you might want to see how other claims progress first to help judge the risk.

Hope this helps

Zoot

hi money ,

i was with spml who sold my mortgage to mortgage agency services the rate these people charge is ridiculous .I am now in the process of starting my claim for a refund of fees of these people theyre a subsidury of a bulilding society but i cant for the life of me remember who???

SPML accounts changed to Capstone mortgage services a while ago if that's any help.

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

I have been told I have to pay about £16k redemption (6%), am I right in thinking after the sale a can claim it back?

In my case I started haggling BEFORE the sale & the charges were waived in full before completion. However, I was in a 6-year deal and even nearer to the end than you. Generally speaking the banks do face some loss if you terminate early on a fixed rate or low start deal so I very much doubt you'd be entitled to the full £16k back - but even the most simple maths tells you theyre better off after 22 months then if youd terminated in month 1 - so to charge you the same redemption fee irregardless of time passed implies its a penalty rather than a genuine pre-estimate of their loss.

Most lenders now taper the redemption so that the longer you've paid the lower the % applied. If you were tied in for 36 months the £16k = £444 per month & youve redeemed 14 months early so 14 x £444 = £6,222 or around 2%. That would seem a fairer figure.

If I were you Id start the ball rolling now by writing & stating that the £16k constitutes a Penalty under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts legislation & offering to settle at the £6,222. Advise them that if they dont accept then you'll be seeking redress through the Courts.

You can still claim in the County Court - but go for the full £16k. If they defend (and they will!) you can then make a Part 36 Offer to settle at circa £10k (ie £16k less £6,222) If they refuse and the judge subsequently rules in your favour for £10k or more then Im pretty sure the other side becomes liable for your costs as well as their own - but please note Im not a lawyer so Id strongly recommend you engage a solicitor to issue proceedings and have this strategy in mind from the start.

Good Luck!

spml lend money to people with adverse credit history their rate as normally high after the customer has been with them a while they then sell it on to other mortgage companies.

paddy

if my advice has been of any help to you then please click the scales ! Thank you :D

Hi All

We filed our court claim and as of 25/08/06 Mortgages PLC havn't sent in a defence. So we have checked on the money claim site and have been directed to

Do you wish to enter Judgment by Default or by Admission? Please select one of the options below:

spacer.gif The defendant has not filed an admission or defence to my claim

(Judgment by Default)

spacer.gif

You will need to decide, how and when you want the defendant to pay. You can ask for the Judgment to be paid by instalment or in one payment.

spacer.gif The defendant admits that all the money is owed

(Judgment by Admission)

spacer.gif

If the defendant has given a new address on the form of admission to which correspondence should be sent, update the defendant's details within the following Judgment request.

We appear to have got judgement by default.

Has this happened to anyone else, it can't have been as easy as this.

Thanks

Dashngail

Mortgages PLC Redemption £3795 1st & 2nd letter sent no offer. Court Papers issued 8/08/06

JUDGEMENT BY DEFAULT 29/08/06

BALLIFFS INSTRUCTED ? 21/09/06

HSBC - mortgage charges + credit card - 1st letter sent 14/06/06 No reply after 40 days - Sent Data Protection Act letter sent 25/07/06

Platform Holding - 1st letter 14th July - Response negative - Second letter 29/08/06

Lloyds TSB - 1st letter sent 14/06/06 - Statements received - 2nd letter 21/07/06c will issue claim if no response by 5/09/06

Hi All

We filed our court claim and as of 25/08/06 Mortgages PLC havn't sent in a defence. So we have checked on the money claim site and have been directed to

Do you wish to enter Judgment by Default or by Admission? Please select one of the options below:

spacer.gifThe defendant has not filed an admission or defence to my claim

(Judgment by Default)

spacer.gif

You will need to decide, how and when you want the defendant to pay. You can ask for the Judgment to be paid by instalment or in one payment.

spacer.gifThe defendant admits that all the money is owed

(Judgment by Admission)

spacer.gif

If the defendant has given a new address on the form of admission to which correspondence should be sent, update the defendant's details within the following Judgment request.

Thanks

Dashngail

Well looks like you have won this one - now to get your money.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Hi All

spacer.gifThe defendant has not filed an admission or defence to my claim

(Judgment by Default)

spacer.gif

spacer.gifThe defendant admits that all the money is owed

(Judgment by Admission)

spacer.gif

Thanks

Dashngail Consumer Action Group - Reply to Topic

Dash

If you filed your claim on 8/8/06 as suggested by your signature, have they acknowledged it yet?..if so I thought they had 28 days from acknowledgement before you could obtain judgement by default?

The text you highlighted is the standard script that shows up if you click on 'Start' which gives you the options you have listed. However, as far as I know you cannot do anything until the 28 days have expired and they have not filed a defence, if in fact they have acknowledged it??

Can you clarify what position you are at with this??

Thanks

Chris

Chrismc v Vertex Data Science Ltd

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Won - Settlement Agreed at 11th Hour.

Philips Bailiffs

Lost - Judge changed at last minute, it didn't help!

G-MAC Early Redemption Charges Waived

Won - Early Redemtion Fees Waived in Full.

i thought they had 14 days from claim date, once acknowledged then this extends to 28

Spanish Holiday Rental - 10% off BAG and CAG Members

www.rent-in-spain.org.uk

Progress so far:

Yorkshire Bank - LBA 26/07/06 £1001.00 - £500.50 offered and rejected

RBS Credit Card - Settled £200.00

Sainsburys - Settled in full £100.00

JD WIlliams - Settled in full £50.00

Argos Card Services - £98 - offered £60 and rejected.

Abbey Mortgages - MCOL 2nd October - Deadline 21st

i thought they had 14 days from claim date, once acknowledged then this extends to 28

Yes that is what I think also, that is why I was asking if they had acknowledged it? Maybe I wasn't too clear in what I said above.

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

No they have 19 days from the date filed as the court give about 5 days for the papers to be deemed to have been served.

If they acknowledge then they have 28 days from the first date served to file a defence.

You can enter judgement after 14 days if they have done nothing.

Can you give us an update Dash?

Halifax Bank plc £1573 settled 19/6/ 06 :D

Abbey National PLC

Settled in full £1,754 15/9/06 :grin:

Halifax Credit Card £441.63 settled in full 27/10/06 :-)

Mortgage Express ERP

Pre letter 10/7/06

LBA 27/7/06

MCOL issued 6/9/06

Court Date Feb 06

Lost in court costs awarded £7,500PAYPAL [email protected]

Hi Chrismc

We havn't had an acknowledgment or defence, if fact we havn't had any response at all from them or the court, so as I understand we can claim judgement after 14 days.

As for the script we didn't realise this was standard.

Going to ring the court in the morning.

Cheers

dashngail

Mortgages PLC Redemption £3795 1st & 2nd letter sent no offer. Court Papers issued 8/08/06

HSBC - mortgage charges + credit card - 1st letter sent 14/06/06 No reply after 40 days - Sent Data Protection Act letter sent 25/07/06

Platform Holding - 1st letter 14th July - Response negative - Second letter 29/08/06

Lloyds TSB - 1st letter sent 14/06/06 - Statements received - 2nd letter 21/07/06c will issue claim if no response by 5/09/06

Hi Chrismc

We havn't had an acknowledgment or defence, if fact we havn't had any response at all from them or the court, so as I understand we can claim judgement after 14 days.

As for the script we didn't realise this was standard.

Going to ring the court in the morning.

Cheers

dashngail

I hope they don't file anything tomorrow - as I think your 14 days would be 27th - when you applied for judgement did MCOL let you continue to get it - I hope so.

Best wishes & Good Luck

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Dash

I don't think you can enter a judgement online unless the time slot has elapsed.

The system will not allow you to.

Good luck and hope you get the right news from the court.

Regards

MF5

Halifax Bank plc £1573 settled 19/6/ 06 :D

Abbey National PLC

Settled in full £1,754 15/9/06 :grin:

Halifax Credit Card £441.63 settled in full 27/10/06 :-)

Mortgage Express ERP

Pre letter 10/7/06

LBA 27/7/06

MCOL issued 6/9/06

Court Date Feb 06

Lost in court costs awarded £7,500PAYPAL [email protected]

Let us know how you get on with the court Dash...I think you could file now online if they have not acknowledged.

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Hi

Went to moneyclaim site this am, selected option judgement by default and it allowed us to continue,

So it seems we have a judgement by default.

We await the judgement from the court, can anyone tell us what we have to do once we receive them

Cheers, from 2 very happy people, this claim was on behalf of our son

dashngail

Have noticed claim was on behalf of your son - can you please advise if the court papers were served in your name acting on behalf of your son or were they all presented in your son's name.

Reason I ask I am acting on behalf of my daughter.

Hi

Yes everything has been in our sons name. We told him about claiming and he asked if we would do it for him.

Cheers

Dashngail

look on the main forums page - other institutions - mortgage companies. Quite a few people are currently attempting to reclaim their ERC's.

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Hi all

I as said in last post we have judgement against Mortgage PLC by default.

Now on to the next step, when we filed the judgement it asked how we wanted payment, we selected immediately (of course).

We understand that the court will send us the details of the judgement, but we're unsure what our next step will be to enforce the judgement, does anyone have the answer to this one.

Can't explain how delighted we are to have got this judgement for our son, although we are not finished there we have just sent second letter to redeem our £6000 + penalty charge from Platform Holdings and to Lloyds TSB for bank charges.

A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED GET US TO THIS POINT.

Cheers

Dashngail

dashngail

Hi all

I as said in last post we have judgement against Mortgage PLC by default.

Now on to the next step, when we filed the judgement it asked how we wanted payment, we selected immediately (of course).

We understand that the court will send us the details of the judgement, but we're unsure what our next step will be to enforce the judgement, does anyone have the answer to this one.

Can't explain how delighted we are to have got this judgement for our son, although we are not finished there we have just sent second letter to redeem our £6000 + penalty charge from Platform Holdings and to Lloyds TSB for bank charges.

A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED GET US TO THIS POINT.

Cheers

Dashngail

dashngail

Absolutely fantastic - I think you wait 7 days and then issue a warrant to send the balifs in!

Nightstar has a judgemant against Barclays which will interest you

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/11348-nightstar-barclays-bailiffs-going-6.html

Any ideas if i can claim application fees, vacating fee and completion fees? i had no redemptions as i was not tied in to my mortgage but I have been charged £250 each time i remortgaged to a better rate and £695 for completing the mortgage on that rate as well as £150 when i closed the account after my tie in period. In total about £3000.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks