• Tweets

• Hi Dixon,   It's a bit confusing that you're dealing with 2 offices - the HMCTS Tax Appeals Tribunal; and the Individual and Small Business Compliance office in Newcastle. However, ..........   In the latest letter of 20th January from the ISBC, they refer to you being here on CAG. This suggests to me that the approaches that have been made "behind the scenes" by CIOT/LITRG and/or TaxWatch to HMRC and MP's have been heard. But we have yet to hear anything directly useful to the scam victims here on CAG.   In reply to HMCTS letter of 12th Jan (which we've not seen) I suggest you say :-   I refer to my appeal against the tax determinations and demands for tax of £xxxx.xx.   I have finally managed to get Northants Police to take this issue seriously and they are now looking into allegations by me and others of fraud carried out by FTR Ltd. I am waiting to hear back from them.   I maintain that HMRC failed to act with due dilligence repaying tax without adequate checks, given the unusual nature of the EIS relief claimed and the tax being paid to a new third party.   I await your further response.
    • I received the Ombudsman’s decision and then I had the opportunity to ask for a review on this decision and the review I received was from another person who is also an Ombudsman. Is this the Adjudicator without actually being called as such?   Here is some of the text explaining why they cannot help. -thank you!   Why I can’t look into this complaint We can’t consider every complaint that is brought to us and operate under a set of rules known as DISP which are set by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Those rules, as the investigator has explained, say we generally can’t consider a complaint brought to us more than six years after the event complained of, or if later, three years after a complainant knew or ought reasonably to have realised, they had cause to complain. There is no dispute here that the event complained about took place at the end of 2010 and so I’m satisfied that was more than six years before the complaint was brought. It follows that I find we can’t consider this complaint under the first part of our rules. I have looked carefully at when Mr and Mrs N did know or ought reasonably to have known that they had cause to complain. I’m satisfied that a large payment of over £90,000 was paid into Mr and Mrs N’s account in September 2010 that appears to be from a property sale. I can also see from the account statements that in October 2010 the disputed transaction took place which took the account balance from about £74,000 to about £44,000. And that the account was in regular use before and after the transaction including a number of cash withdrawals. So, on balance I’m satisfied that Mr and Mrs N ought reasonably to have been aware at the time of the transaction that they have cause to complain. I say that as I think they would have received regular account statements and it was up to them to manage their account. I also think they ought to have noticed at the time or at the latest within the six years following the withdrawal that £30,000 was missing from the account. I find that the second part of our rules don’t provide a longer period for this complaint to have been brought. I can consider a complaint outside of the time limits if I find there were exceptional reasons why a complaint couldn’t have been brought in time. I have read about Mr and Mrs N’s health and other difficulties over the last 10 years. But I don’t think those problems amount to an exceptional reason or would have prevented a complaint being brought in time. I appreciate Mr and Mrs N questions if the Limitations Act provide them with a longer time period to bring a complaint, but as I have explained we operate under the DISP rules. I appreciate Mr and Mrs N will be disappointed by my decision, but I think this brings an end to what we in trying to sort out this dispute informally can do. My decision My decision is that this complaint has been brought too late for us to consider. David Singh Ombudsman    
    • Perfect, I’ll get the letter sent tomorrow.  Another update though, I have just received a text from them! I don’t know how they would have my number!  26/01/22 17:03   Due: £170.00 You have not responded to our Pre-Action letter. Please visit bit.ly/gsl-pay or call 01565 755088 to avoid Court action. Quote Ref: XXXXXX
    • Nobody's any the wiser about when the Gray report is being released. Robert Shrimsley of the FT has a Twitter thread about how he would organise it.    
  • Our picks

Choice Shopping Catalogue

Breezico

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5396 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there Guys & Galls.

Can anyone advise on this one please?

I had a catalogue account with Choice catalogue. I remember them 'putting the boot in' when I had financial dificulties a couple of years ago. Is it possible to get these penalties back at all?

Is this like any other credit account and therefore subject to the same rules?

Would I follow the same procedure - SAR / Prelim / LBA etc..?

Many thanks in advance to anyone able to advise.

Cheers

Chris

Hi,

Maybe someone can give me some much needed advise I sent a SAR to Choice they sent the following letter back

"Unfortunately, I am unable to send you copies of statements from January 2006 to September 2006 as these are no longer on our records. We only hold the last 6 months statements.

However, if required I can arrange for copies from October 2006 to be sent. Please let me know if required"

Surely they legally have to keep statements for a certain length of time

Any advice would help

Gem