• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

overflow v Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi can anyone give me a bit of advise please.

I'v just printed out a letter to Halifax ( Penalty and unfair charges- request for refund) but I'm not sure if this is the right one.

Ive got all the statements so know how much I' claiming back but on looking around the different sites on here my letter is different to the Prelim one and that one says I should send a schedule of charges as well.

Do I put amount of charges with corresponding dates on a seperate piece of paper and send these off. Sorry but now totally confused and I'm nervous about doing this , sure I' mess up and be the exception to the rule.

Advice Please.:confused:

• Haha 2

30-12-2006--Requested statements from Local Halifax.

02-02-2007--Statements Recieved.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

20-04-2007--Reply , Thanks , give us 8wks letter.

02-0502007--Sent L.B.A. & Schedule of Charges

11-05-2007--Recieved reply ,still investigating.

17-05-2007--Sent Amended L.B.A. for Contractual Interest this time.

14-06-2007--Received standard Bog Off letter.

13-06-2007--Took N1 to Local Courts.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

Have till 09-07-2007 to file Defence.

05-07-2007--Note that Acknowledgment of Service been Filed on 29-06-2007.

Have 28 days from date of Service to File Defence.

07-07-2007--Offer from Halifax.

09-07-2007--Rejection letter sent to Halifax. Next day delivery.

10-07-2007--Money put in Account:mad:

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use this letter:

2. Letter - Preliminary approach for repayment.

For the schedule of charges:

Use the Simple S/S here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

See here for a visual guide:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bcard-woolwich-successes/7226-maisielou-barclays.html#post50088

Overwrite the existing examples type of charge, amount and date.

The days since and 8% will be calculated automatically

Save it (for use later at court), then delete/hide the last 2 columns (8% bits) and print out as your schedule of charges.

hi all sent prelim to halifax on 18-14-07 and today received reply

"Thank you for recant complaint.

We are sorry tolearn you are unhappy with charges debited to your bank account. Please note the complaint handling rules set by our regulator, the Financial Services Authority, gives us 8 weeks to investigate and respond to complaints"

From what i gather reading other similar threads I should ignore this but do I just wait for the 14 days to be up and then send the LBA.

Advice please . thanx in advance.:?

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

Yes, just ignore it, and carry on with your 14 day time scale.

Some people are just classing this letter as proof their prelim was recieved, and thats all its worth.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanx sea-side.

Thats put my mind at rest. I'm so worried that I wont get it right and I dont want to mess up. Think the old brain is getting a bit addled there is so much to take in.

I keep reading the FAQ's over and over but sometimes find that I cant remember what it was that i've just read 5 mins ago. AWH poor old brain never used it so much in ages.lol:roll:

• Haha 1

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

Dont worry, we all get like that.

Just ask if you are worried about anything, theres always some one around to help. ;)

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanks again Sea-Side. It is all a bit (no a lot) daunting this law stuff. Yet funnily enough I find it quite exciting too. I've never dreamed of doing anything quite like this before, did'nt think I had it in me to be honest. My family think I've gone nuts I swear as my topic of conversation always seems to be about the CAG nowadays, lol. Just cant seem to get enough of this site,(and my typing is improving too):D .

There is just one flyin the ointment for me at the moment. I cant seem to get my head round the interest part, try as I may . I read about it then re-read about it. I've just had my son here trying to explain it to me :roll: .

"Well mum, can you see what I mean ?" he says. "Do this and this and this comes up here then do that and this appears, times this by that" !!!!!!!

Whooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh my brain screams but my mouth opens and out comes "Oh yes, now I can see" DOH NOT!:?

I'll keep on plodding on though, determined not to let it beat me, I'll whip this brain into shape yet. lol:)

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

You dont need to worry yet about the interest. But if you used the spread sheets from here (vampiress) then it will add the interest for you.

But if you get stuck at that stage, you will get the help here.

F&Q's... Read here

• 2 weeks later...

hi

Today I have sent off my LBA to the Halifax along with an amended schedule of charges and interest on charges.

I now await thier reply and quite frankly Im scared to death about what happens next. Ive been reading up on lots of threads and although most of the content is easy to understand there are some things Im struggling with. I think Im just worried about going to court ( if it gets that far) .

Do you have to explain why your claiming to the judge and if so does that mean that Ill have to try and memorise all the legal jargon Ive read.:eek:

What if the bank does show , do I have to stand up against a " learned friend", and defend my claim, ( stand back in horror).

How can I , an ordinary housewife, be so ambitious as to even dream about doing this. These are all the thoughts running through my head at the moment. I know Im being daft but thats of little consequence.

I thought I would never be able to do the spread sheets, no matter how I tried I could not understand them and then I came upon Vampyras one. OH BLISS ! THANK YOU SO MUCH. I found I was acctually able to fill them in without too much hastle:) . Now I just hope and prey Ive got them right. Ive done three different lots of interest on them. Amazed at the different totals all for the same charges.

As I was doing the charges I noticed that on the duplicate statements that instead of Bank Account mine have CARDCASH written on them. I dont know if this will make any difference to my claim but I thought I would just check the interest on the different accounts anyway. (mine is a current account by the way).

I notice they have changed thier interest rates and where it says Current account AER 0.10% for CARDCASH it is 1.51% .

Im wondering now if this will impede my claim in any way :confused: Or shall I just ignore it and it will go away , dont think it will make any difference anyway, well I hope not anyway.

So now Ill wait and see what happens .

Regards:)

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

Just as an after thought . Are the changes to the interest rates in our fovour or will this make a difference to our claims . Do we claim for old interest or new.

Any comments?

regards:)

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

• 2 weeks later...

hi could anybody help please. ive just worked out the interest rates and im worried in case ive got it wrong.:confused:

would anybody please look it over for me just to make sure ive cracked it.

ill copy it on here if its possible.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

Are you claiming the 8% or have you gone for the contractual interest?

F&Q's... Read here

hi s-side lady

Im not too sure yetwhich one to go for so ive printed off all three rates , might go for contractual though if ive got it right.

thanks for replying though.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

If you are going for CCI, keep a check on http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/63212-halibunny-halifax.html

He is doing CCI and i have a friend in there helping him, so the advice she gives him will help you aswell.

F&Q's... Read here

Thanks sea sidelady ill go take a look at that now I could do with some tips. I think ive done it right but you never know. Any help is welcomed

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

just to update,

well the deadline for the lba was up yesterday so sent out another one today. I know its giving them another 14 days but I have added a bit to the letter.

"Seeing as how I have had no response from you re my previous letter,I have had more time to research my claim . As you can see I have sent you an amended schedule of charges ,as I now know I can claim for contractual interest at the rate you were charging me"

Hope this sounds ok ,and that this will please them :rolleyes: Sent it off this a.m. recorded del.

When I came back home from posting it , there pushed through the letter box was a letter from them. Suprise, Suprise.

This was dated 11th May, just the usual bumf.

"Sorry we took so long responding, blah,blah,blah.

Will investigate as soon as possible, you will hear from us no later than 9th June."

I dont think I will be running to thier time scale ,I like my own. Another 14 days then file for court.;)

I wasnt going for CCI first off but then ive read so many threads where other people have tryed for it and won , so I thought to myself " Well never venture , never win" .My only worry is that ive not done the spreadsheet right. Im nearly certain i have ,compairing it to others that I have seen and reading all the info on them. Im just frettin over nothing I think. Its just the interest seems nearly as much as the charges but what the heck if they want it accurate to the penny , let them work it out for me. After all they'll be the ones forking it out.

Ill keep you all updated and good luck with your claims.

regards :)

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

just for the record does anyone know are we supposed to get our original contract back from the banks or even a copy, this has the T&C's and in light of the LLOYDS case would we now need this to take to court

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

just an update on last posting.

Got letter off SCALIFAX yesterday about my credit card with them. Informed me that my current card is due to run out of date and in thier opinion I am not conducting my account in an acceptable way so they wont be sending me out a new one:rolleyes:

I wonder is this due to the fact that Im claiming off them for my bank account or just because I missed this months payment by just over a week:) . I think its just a wee bit too coincidental ,Ive missed payments before but never had my card recinded.

Not that Im worried Ive not used it for a while anyhow still trying to get the balance down loads of charges on there too Im afraid , I dont think I am a good manager of money but ,come on, these charges do nothing to help do they:rolleyes:

Waiting for them to respond to my LBA now , Im feeling rather nervous as Ive gone for contractual interest and I just know thier going to fight me tooth and nail for it. Perhaps I should have just gone for the 8% in court , well too late now eh. Im runnin around this site lookin at what other members have used for thier bundle . dont want to be caught with the trousers down now do I.

Im still a bit worried about not having the original T&Cs though. Do we really need these now in light of the infamous LLOYDS CASE. Can anyone shed any light on this for me and put my mind at ease please,

thanks

regards :-)

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

write and ask them for them

OK I GIVE IN

Halifax £3600 charges, won with C/I £6400

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Bug**r all recieved 03/11/06

Prelim guesimate sent for £3000 03/11/06

Cr*p one CONNED statements 08/06 ROFLMAO

Cr*p one charges=£976

con int 34.9% £1,003.75 £1,979.75.

Thanks for the advice c allen.

Yea think I will write but I managed to download a copy of the T&Cs dont know if this will do though. Its titled

Special Conditions---Bank Account conditions , and its dated Jan 2007.

I wonder if they have changed things , I suspect they have .

Do you think I should still write or will this suffice.

I got back in this morning and checked my messages on the phone and there was one from the bank. My stomach did a back flip , I thought "OMG, what if they want to talk to me about my claim. What if they start blindin me with science with all the legal jargon."

I was panicing I can tell you. Then the phone rang again so I had to pick it up , It was the bank.:o

Just an automated call about my credit card account, not the one Im claiming for. Wanting to know if Id made a payment on it yet. You know the ones , press this button and press that button.

PHEW :p was I relieved. Still I read that a lot of people have had them on the phone so IF and WHEN it comes Ill have to reply wont I;)

Just hope Im ready , but there again , after all the reading Ive been doin I should be LOL

Good Luck to All

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

write and ask for the original T&Cs and state that ALL correspondence should be in writing

OK I GIVE IN

Halifax £3600 charges, won with C/I £6400

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Bug**r all recieved 03/11/06

Prelim guesimate sent for £3000 03/11/06

Cr*p one CONNED statements 08/06 ROFLMAO

Cr*p one charges=£976

con int 34.9% £1,003.75 £1,979.75.

Thanks callen

Ive been in the bank and got a copy but of course not the original ones. Might , no , I will write and ask for them thanks for the advice.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

quick update ,

This thursday is the deadline for the Halifax and as yet ive heard nothing back. I did write to them asking for the original T&Cs relavant to when I first opened the account , still waiting for them as well although I gave them 7 days to reply so they have a few more days on that score. Do I send a Letter of non-compliance off then if they do not send me them:confused:

I think I do just want it confirmed.

I really thought that they would have written or phoned me but not a dickie bird. I think Ill give them till Monday then if still no word Ill be hot-footing it to the local courts.

I think it has something todo with me applying for contractual interest though, perhaps Ive shot myself in the foot , I should have just gone for the straightforward 8% and costs , might have heard by now eh:?:

Well never mind Ive got to be strong minded on this one and go for it .

Ive waited a long time so a wee bit longer wont matter.

Will post again when I hear anything.

regards :-)

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

Well today the deadline is up for the Scallifax.

Still no word from them even after I sent them a letter earlier on to ask them for the original T&Cs.

Would it be an idea for me to ring them do you think to remind them that the deadline was up today. I dont know if this would be the right thing to do or what.

If they started spoutin all this legal jargon at me Im sure Id shrivell up and offer to pay them instead.:eek:

Must have a serious think tonight and read some more threads to see if anybody else is in the same boat as me:)

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

Ello overflow, iv,e been with them since 1984 so i suppose the T&C,s have changed since then so am not bothered, but i was thinking if they have been charging me an average amount over those previous years in relation to what they,ve been charging me lately i guesstimate they,ve taken me for £20,000-£25,000 good job i,m sitting down ha ha uv,e got to laugh or you would cry