• Tweets

• 20 million quid on just the brokering fee for a crappy deal with the UK public hocked to pay more for PPE - which was probably useless with better and cheaper per item with no 20 million quid fee - available from alibaba Stinks of corruption to me.  
    • Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
    • That's an idea on Maquarie. On being accountable, you also have to blame Ofwat and possibly the Environment Agency although they've been badly defunded. I put the Frost article up for balance.  
    • I agree HB, but there were no laws broken - its perfectly legal to fleece the UK and its infrastructure - and labour were little better than the Tories Perhaps an option would be to ban the aussie investment fund from the UKs markets
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Gillianbbb v's Lloyds TSB - **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Read all the information on your site the other night and thought, hey i got ripped from lloydstsb a few years ago, luckily im a paper buff who can date everything back 7 years+

my claim was for just short of £2500, so way under the £5000 mark everyone has been talking about. Anyway took the email address and attached my letter.

this is the reply that i got

Dear **************

Re: Account Charges for Overdraft Excesses and Returned Items

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about your account.

I understand that

• You feel that the charges you have incurred are contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulation 1999.

• You are unhappy with the amount of charges you have incurred as a result of being overdrawn and from returned items.

• You have requested that all charges incurred should be refunded for the past 6 years.

When you become a customer, we give you details of any charges for the day to day running of your account. Details of our charges are also available from our branch staff, telephone helpline or our website. While banking with us can be completely free, we apply charges if a customer does not have enough money in their account to meet payments they have requested us to make.

You incurred charges because you did not ensure funds were available in your account to cover the payments set up by you. It is your responsibility to operate your account within any agreed limits.

As a business we are entitled to set charges to cover additional work. These charges are not hidden and are notified in the guide to banking charges leaflet we produce. We advise our customers to ensure cleared funds are available in their accounts to meet payments due. You will also note that in the front of each cheque book we request that funds are available before cheques are issued.

You accepted these terms when you opened your account and when you agreed your overdraft. We did not agree to pay your account in excess of the amount agreed without charges being made.

Accordingly, I am unable to agree with your request to refund the charges. We do expect your account to be run in line with the terms and conditions of its operation. This means that you must ensure that cleared funds are deposited into the account the working day before any payments are due. If you do not feel you will be able to run your account in accordance with the terms and conditions, we may have to consider withdrawing certain facilities, such as any debit cards, overdrafts and chequebooks. Alternatively, you may wish to consider alternative banking arrangements.

You can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to independently review my decision. You can contact them at The Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London, E14 9SR. Telephone: 0845 080 1800. Website: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk. If you do want them to look at your complaint, they need you to get in touch with them within 6 months of the date of this letter.

Yours Sincerely

David Just

Assistant Manager

NOW I feel that is saying that if i take my case further, they will cancel my account, hmmmmm

i also have a business account with them, that will be moved tomorrow and i will be contacting another company to take my personal account off them as well, what do you advise my next step is court, because my account has been a++++ for over 2 years with them and this happened 2half years ago+

the letter has just made my blood boil, i am happy to goto court, a great day out, especially if i win the amount,

await some help and helpful comments

gill

This letter is just the standard fobb off. If you are going to take action, follow the steps in the FAQ. You are wise in getting new accounts, banks have been known to be vicious

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Thanks for that, i have an appointment in the morning for the business account, so reading what ive read on the forum so far, i think i may ask them to take my personal account as well, they have had our account for 19years, so they will be losing us and also the business.

i suppose asmall price for them to pay, but have spread the word around today about this website and i know that other emails are being sent to banks tonight....lol

gill

• 2 months later...

did the normal email letter and received the standard back.

Filed claim online and received a response back saying that they where going defend the case.

martineau johnson of london will be dealing with t he claim.

came back from lovely bank holiday away to letter of the solicotors.

i dont know if this is a standard letter but it says northampton county court??

how can i ask it to be changed to a court near me??

The letter is 2 pages long and goes on about --

1. the defendant lloyds tsb is a bank it is admitted that the claimant has been a customer of the bank at all material times

2. by opening an account with the bank, the customer enters into a commerial arrangment with the bank for the provision of banking services. the bank is entitled as part of that aggrangment to charge for those services ETC ETC ETC

could anyone help on the next step, do i enter why im claiming?

what do i need to sumit to the court now and how do i get this to a court near me??

Two things will now happen - you should get an allocation form from the court, which will be when you can ensure that the case is transfered to your local County Court. However, you are also very likely to start getting offers of settlement.

This is the time when you need to stand firm.

as the solictor sent the letter, i didnt know if i had to send them the information ie what dates i was charged the amounts or anything.

just going through people threads to get myself ready for the battle, but ive been in court once before (with a friend) so i know what im letting myself !!!!

Just need to get in moved closer to home, luckily we have mag and crown in our town, but ill keep everyone posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to let everyone know that i have received my allocation questionnaire!!

another 100.00 pounds well spent.

Just to be naughty, i have used my lloydstsb cheque book on this one, will make sure the funds are there to pay for it...hehehe

some are saying that they get offers from banks/sol what is the best way to deal with them!!

thanks

gillian

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like i received the standard letter through offering to settle out of court my claim is for £2800 plus costs, they have offered me £1742.01

i think the penny is a joke, but the letter advises me that without prejudice and confidential and privileged........LOL

i have read others on the forum about what happens next, so i did expect the letter.

if i sign this they have won, i want the money back they have charged me, so unfair as i was very ill when this happened over 2years ago.

What does the forum advise me to do regarding the letter, i am in the process of switching accounts as everytime i try and transfer money from one of my accounts to another account i have with them, they either advise that i did it wrong or it takes 5/10 days to tranfer to go through (wow - i know)

so business and personnal accounts they will lose, but do i stick to my guns and carry on, as i am willing to take the matter to the courts, i wouldnt have gone this far if i didnt fancy a day out in court..

and how do i respond to this letter as the only form they have supplied is the aggreement one

thanks in advance

gill

MODERATED threads merged , please keep to your orignal thread when updating , thanks

gill if you read my thread mjanet v lloyds you will see my reply to it ( post 19 ) please feel free to use it if you want .

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

so is it best to take this amount or carry on with the case, just been to change our accounts to somewhere else, i havent used our overdraft for over 2yrs, but you never know when you will need it, is there any other letters that people have sent??

they also say in the letter that

Please note that the bank can noy reconcile your claim with the figures it has on record. The sum that is offered represents the actual amount of charges levied on your account blablabla. the calcualation excludes both overdraft interest and monthly fees as you are not entitled to include these charges in your claim.

WHAT monthly charges, do they mean every month that i was charged stupid amounts for a returned DD etc??

thanks

gill

• 2 weeks later...

received letter from the banks solicotors this morning offering neally what i asked for so i think yipppppppeeeee

so i emailed the solicotors and addvised them, if the amount goes in our bank before close of business on friday i will be willing to aggree and send the letter to the courts as they have already set the date of the court case

there response was ---

Thank you for your email of today.

We are pleased that you are willing to settle this matter on the terms set out in our letter of 4 July 2006. However, please note that the refund of the amount of your claim can not be arranged until we have received a signed copy of that letter.

Please therefore sign and return a copy of our letter of 4 July 2006 as soon as possible. On receipt, we shall contact our client so that the refund can be arranged. We can assure you that everything will be done to arrange the refund as soon as possible but please be aware that this process may take longer than two days.

We look forward to receiving a signed settlement letter shortly.

In addition, as soon as you have returned the signed letter, we should be grateful if you would contact the Court to confirm that the case has been settled. Please note that the Court needs to be contacted as soon as possible so that the hearing date can be vacated.

Yours faithfully

yeah, but the letter is all on one page and the signed area is on a seperate sheet, not as green as i look, if i sign the page they could use this page with any letter that they wish to use it with, so now HELP

there terms are

1. The amount of your claim £****, will be credited to the joint account

2. You must maintain your joint account within your current limit and any new limit agreed with the bank

3. payment will be in full and final settlement

***what does the new limit agreed with the bank mean??

will this bye bye to my overdraft?

this is the only thing that is on this account...

and i am not willing to sign a blank piece of paper with no reference to the front cover!!!

sneaky, but if the action group needs a copy, i can scan it in, looks like they are being really sneaky...

gill

What gets at me is no where in my email did i advise that i agree to there terms ????

my email to them was ----

Without Prejudice

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for the letter dated 4th July 2006.

I am willing to settle on £**** if the amount is received in our joint account on or before the **th July 2006. After this date we will be away and will not be-able to deal with any correspondence until after the ** July 2006. Could you advise by return of email today if you are willing to do this, if you are, on receipt of cleared funds I will send a cancellation letter to the county court? I will now await until close of business today.

Kind Regards

really fed up, as silly me thought fab holiday coming my way after i clear my c/c off, yeah not till i come home now..boo hoo

how to respond to them

Threads merged AGAIN - if you start another new thread relating to this claim it will be closed! :mad:

1. The amount of your claim £****, will be credited to the joint account

2. You must maintain your joint account within your current limit and any new limit agreed with the bank

3. payment will be in full and final settlement

I don't understand why you have reservations about accepting this offer? Is it not for the full amount? There's nothing to say it relates to another letter so I don't know why you think it does.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

i tried to add on to the last thread but i couldnt find how to do this??

BIG SORRY

They have offered me 2802.49, so im willing to settle on this but there letter looks odd??

everything is typed on one page, then on the second page of the letter is the area that we sign, but there is no reference to what we are signing to and there is no link to the front page of the letter!!

so what they could do, is link the second page of this letter to another letter and say we accepted what ever they wanted really, like i said its hard to explain, i can scan the letter in, but not sure how to copy the text from a scan into the forum??

gill

So what's on the second page? literally just a dotted line for you to sign or does it have those 3 conditions printed on it?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi gillianbbb,

You can see a full copy of the settlement letter I received in my reload vs Lloyds thread (link in signature). Off the top of my head, the last page had a paragraph or so of text, along with the dotted lines for me to sign/date.

As you can see in mjanet's thread, there cannot lawfully impose confidentiality on you. So feel free to type up a copy of your settlement offer - if we can see the full text it might actually help us see what you're getting at a bit better.

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

thanks for all your help, i have managed to deal with them this morning regarding the letter and they are eager to settle this out of court.

they have emailed through a letter which is pasted below --

Without Prejudice

Confidential and Privileged

Dear Sir and Madam

Thank you for your email of 29 June 2006.

The Bank is willing to make an updated offer of settlement on the following basis:

1. The amount of your claim, £2,802.49, will be credited to your joint account.

2. You must maintain your joint account within your current limit, and any new limit agreed with the Bank.

3. Payment will be in full and final settlement of this claim.

If you are willing to settle on this basis, you must both sign a copy of this letter (where indicated on page 2) as confirmation that you are both bound by its terms and return it to us. As soon as you do so, the Bank will arrange for the amount of your claim to be credited to your joint account.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Martineau Johnson

We confirm that the above terms (set out on page 1 of this letter) are agreed.

Signed by *** *** ……………………………………..

Dated …….……………………………….

Signed by *** *** ……………………………………..

Dated …….……………………………….

As far as i am concerned it is a victory in my rights, i will celabrate when the money hits the account, but letter to the court will be with held until i receive the money

thanks

Congratulations!!

Please complete our bank charges survey.

And when your money arrives, a donation would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks Gillian - this is VERY interesting, it appears they've not asked you to sign any confidentiality agreement at all??!

:D CHANGE IN PROCEEDURE ALERT!!! :D

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

This is excellent news. Well done :)

Lloyds TSB - £972

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 20/07/06***

Woolwich - £2288

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent.

Offered half

Moneyclaim filed online 02/08/06

Judgement filed online 23/08/06

WARRANT FILED ONLINE 30/08/06

MONEY RECEIVED BY BALIFF 04/10/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 09/10/06***

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 07/07/06***

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Advice & opinions provided are personal, and not endorsed by CAG or BAG, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

i will do the survey and no probs on the donation when the money hits the account.

Hope everyone else gets there results through as quick, emailing direct has helped speed the service up, plus the looming court date that i wont cancel until i have the funds, will post when the cash hits, but off on holiday happy, just hope it HITS the account whilst im away, that will make me real HAPPY!!

Thanks for the help

gill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks