• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Court Date - Have queries! Help Please?

fzrkitten
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5154 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Thank you very much for the support and help.

I've just made a mad dash at 6.30 to other half's house for the internet, as mine broke tuesday and I haven't been at work (home swatting!).

Rich, I never got judgement before, should of done but they were quick putting in that sneaky order for fast track.

Today is a 'case management hearing' because it was re-allocated to fast track, so this might not be the end for me. I have no idea what will happen today, it's a bit worse than knowing it's the final hearing I think - don't know if lloyds will turn up (they said they were sending counsel). Didn't know whether to phone SC&M, but didn't want to pre-warn them it was going ahead, so I've just left it. 12.00 today is looming!

I might not get back on pc til late, so sorry if you are waiting for news!

Thanks again,

Fzrkitten.

x

Fzrkitten

Hi all,

Sorry, kitty's been off licking her wounds. Gutted. I have no good news I'm afraid. Barrister attended on behalf of Lloyds, there must have been 10 Lloyds cases and another 10 or so from the other banks today in Coventry Court. I don't know the outcome of all - anyone else there today? (Some just didn't turn up).

Went in about 12.15 for a five minute session, came out at 1.30. The judge let me say everything I wanted to, told us there were no blanket stays, every case was being dealt with on individual merits. Went in with one other guy, and there was a lady and her husband before us.

I argued that Lloyds had already defaulted by not complying with disclosure order before test case was even announced, and what would happen if I didn't comply with an order (judge said probably struck out), so how come Lloyds weren't - and were allowed to put in an ex parte application for fast track. Judge has written an order, I think to put me back on small claims, but only if Lloyds don't disagree within the next 7 days (!).

I argued my case should be heard as it had been going on since april, and Lloyds had stalled at every turn, (I did use some big words but seem to have lost them in my now cabbage of a brain). And that it would cause financial hardship if it didn't go ahead. I said that the test case in the first instance is based on the UTCCR's, and that bounced cheques and overdraft fees are a clear breach of contract and not based on the UTCCR's, the judge was very interested in this, spoke to the barrister (lost me at this point unfortunately) and I actually thought things were going well.

The judge basically let me speak for nearly an hour, then moved on to the chap I went in with, who also had some very valid points, so I nodded a lot.

At the end, the judge did a very long summing up, wouldn't look either of us in the face, told me it was better this way for me as if mine continued on fast track it would go to a high court and take 8 days and cost a lot, then stayed both cases.

I don't believe for a minute they weren't blanket stays, I am sure the decision was made before I got in there. Even the guy I went in with said "if they weren't issuing blanket stays, and everything you said didn't stop a stay, then what does!" He was gobsmacked.

Also, the judge stayed us both until 31st July 2008, unless the test case was all settled by then. Then he said if we don't get settled by 31st July 2008, WE have to apply to get another stay, otherwise WE will be struck out!!!!! (Not Lloyds!!!!).

And the barrister said 'very grateful', (my precious)! - He was actually ok, just a barrister acting on behalf of, like most are.

Lady before us got stayed as well, so I guess most were today.

Gary - I never even got to give them the extra paperwork today, not interested, and I was up at 6.30am collating that lot!

All I can say is thank you so much for your help so far guys, and if we win the test case I'm still donating big style for all your help, just sorry it can't be sooner. And Gary I owe you a few drinks as I said!

Still gutted though.

Fzrkitten.

x

Fzrkitten

Oh my god!!!

How can the banks get away with such awful behaviour.

Well done for getting your case across. I'm sure it was nerve wracking.

I argued that Lloyds had already defaulted by not complying with disclosure order before test case was even announced, and what would happen if I didn't comply with an order (judge said probably struck out), so how come Lloyds weren't

Why weren't they struck out for absolute abuse of process? it makes no sense.

I'm so sorry for you you must be really gutted.

Such a long time to wait to do anything now.

Night Owl

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

Hi Fzrkittten

really sorry for this result for you. myself and my wife had been looking forward to a good reply from you.

do you have course for appeal on this?

also not sure of your situation with Lloyds, but did you mention about continued charges on your account whilst the stay isi in place?

looks like they have won then.

the old boys club has got together and made sure they dont lose out on this!

Got Debt problems?

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

Hi all,

Sorry, kitty's been off licking her wounds. Gutted. I have no good news I'm afraid. Barrister attended on behalf of Lloyds, there must have been 10 Lloyds cases and another 10 or so from the other banks today in Coventry Court. I don't know the outcome of all - anyone else there today? (Some just didn't turn up).

Went in about 12.15 for a five minute session, came out at 1.30. The judge let me say everything I wanted to, told us there were no blanket stays, every case was being dealt with on individual merits. Went in with one other guy, and there was a lady and her husband before us.

I argued that Lloyds had already defaulted by not complying with disclosure order before test case was even announced, and what would happen if I didn't comply with an order (judge said probably struck out), so how come Lloyds weren't - and were allowed to put in an ex parte application for fast track. Judge has written an order, I think to put me back on small claims, but only if Lloyds don't disagree within the next 7 days (!).

I argued my case should be heard as it had been going on since april, and Lloyds had stalled at every turn, (I did use some big words but seem to have lost them in my now cabbage of a brain). And that it would cause financial hardship if it didn't go ahead. I said that the test case in the first instance is based on the UTCCR's, and that bounced cheques and overdraft fees are a clear breach of contract and not based on the UTCCR's, the judge was very interested in this, spoke to the barrister (lost me at this point unfortunately) and I actually thought things were going well.

The judge basically let me speak for nearly an hour, then moved on to the chap I went in with, who also had some very valid points, so I nodded a lot.

At the end, the judge did a very long summing up, wouldn't look either of us in the face, told me it was better this way for me as if mine continued on fast track it would go to a high court and take 8 days and cost a lot, then stayed both cases.

I don't believe for a minute they weren't blanket stays, I am sure the decision was made before I got in there. Even the guy I went in with said "if they weren't issuing blanket stays, and everything you said didn't stop a stay, then what does!" He was gobsmacked.

Also, the judge stayed us both until 31st July 2008, unless the test case was all settled by then. Then he said if we don't get settled by 31st July 2008, WE have to apply to get another stay, otherwise WE will be struck out!!!!! (Not Lloyds!!!!).

And the barrister said 'very grateful', (my precious)! - He was actually ok, just a barrister acting on behalf of, like most are.

Lady before us got stayed as well, so I guess most were today.

Gary - I never even got to give them the extra paperwork today, not interested, and I was up at 6.30am collating that lot!

All I can say is thank you so much for your help so far guys, and if we win the test case I'm still donating big style for all your help, just sorry it can't be sooner. And Gary I owe you a few drinks as I said!

Still gutted though.

Fzrkitten.

x

Sounds like you did really well. The fact that you were in there so long shows that you must have given him something to think about. To be honest you were always going to be up against it in front of that particular judge. I didn't tell you before because I didn't want to worry you, but thats the judge who ruled in favour of Lloyds before, having found no breach! Thats probably why he was so interested in your evidence that there is.

Well done.:)

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Hi again,

RH, I have no dealings with lloyds anymore except that the account is open, so no argument needed on that one for me anyway.

Nightowl, thanks hun, resigned to just waiting now, but as the guy with me said, if I couldn't stop the stay with all that then who could! Feel a bit deflated for others too, wanted to bring some good news but couldn't.

I do agree it's 'old boys together', got that feeling straight away!

Gary, it wasn't THAT judge, although the one I saw did make mention to him and the case that was lost, he kind of went on that to say they needed clarity. There was more than one judge, and the lady before me saw the other judge, and he did same, stayed the case. I was surprised at the number of people that didn't seem to know what they were arguing though, and had just turned up because they were told to.

When I get a copy of things, including small claims track order etc, will post up again, I couldn't remember everything that got said in court, but I am glad I got chance to argue my case, thanks to your help too.

On friday afterwards I just wanted to know if you can hire the guy with the muck spreader that was in the news - Today I feel a bit better! :)

Fzrkitten.

x

Fzrkitten

Hi again, just been reading hadyanth's ace news -

hadyanth vs Lloyds TSB - Goodbye fingernails...

and wondered if I had a case to appeal against the stay on the same grounds - (CPR 3.8/3.9) that lloyds didn't put in for the stay correctly etc (i was sent the letter on the friday, had court the following weds. Must say their barrister was very interested about when we got our letters.

Night Owl as well - v interesting link you posted above, only just had time to nose.

I just don't want to let this drop - Gary, what do you think? I know I didn't cover this in court, just wish I had not gone to pieces slightly!

I'm still waiting for small claims 're-order' to come in post, will post stuff up when I get it.

I just don't want to lie down until the test case, I really don't. There must be some way we can show how they have treated me throughout. (Royal 'we' there - I need help!).

I also think that the fact they have dropped their charges slightly is unbelievable. I think they are trying to say to the OFT 'look, we dropped our charges, surely this is ok now and you won't make us drop them any further'.

I thought I would sit back until the test case and forget about things, but it's making me angrier by the minute!

Anyway, if you've got court coming soon - I'd speak to hadyanth - fantastic outcome!

BW, Fzrkitten.

x

Fzrkitten

Just read your thread - sorry the outcome was not good - but well done you - fantastic for the judge to have listened to you for so long - you obviously did your best and I have nothing but admiration for you . every cloud has a silver lining and I am sure you must have learnt something about yourself in the process - that you can carry on into your future.

Jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi Christina, glad you are back - it worked then!

Hi Jan, thank you very much, not really sure what I've learnt about myself except perhaps I should take up law or join the police or something, I'm like a rottweiler that won't let go! Still not happy with stay now.

I could kind of do with my silver lining right now, so let's hope so eh.

Ought to buy some lottery tickets tonight now I've said that!!!

Bw,

Fzrkitten.

x

Fzrkitten

Hi,

Got this order today after 'case management hearing' last Friday:

It is ordered that:

Unless the Defendant indicates in writing by 4pm on 14th September 2007 that it does not consent to re-allocation, the matter is re-allocated to the Small Claims Track.

1. The claim is stayed until further order to await the final determination including (for the avoidance of doubt) any appeal of the claim between the Office of Fair Trading and seven Defendant Banks issued in the High Court of Justice on the 27th July 2007 Number 2007 Folio 1186 ("the test case").

2. Either party may apply upon not less than 7 days written notice to lift the stay.

3. The case shall stand struck out if an application to lift or extend the stay is not received by 4pm on 31st July 2008.

4. No order for the costs of today.

5. For the avoidance of doubt the claim and/or any defence, if struck out by a previous order, is reinstated.

Dated 7th September.

SO, hopefully re-allocated to small claims, fingers crossed for no reply from SC&M by tomorrow 4pm.

What to do next? Appeal against stay on grounds that they didn't apply for the stay in time etc (as hadyanth's thread)?

Is number 5 because the previous order asked for disclosure, but wasn't complied with, and I asked about it in court, and he said the only order that stood was the re-allocation to fast track one now. So Lloyds get their way?

Can't believe 2 things, one that the judge included the appeal in the time scale, and that I have to apply for a stay if it's not decided by 31st July, or it's ME that gets struck out!!! We did ask him to explain that in court, that's definitely what he means.

Any ideas anyone on where I stand now anyone?

Thanks and BW,

Fzrkitten.

x

Fzrkitten

As both parties attended a hearing at which the decision was made you can't apply to object to it. Clause 2 is referring to after the test case finishes.

You'd have to appeal the decision to a higher court, which would carry a costs risk and have (IMHO) only a very slim chance of success.

Sorry.:(

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for clarification, that's all I wanted really. I'll just sit back and forget about it for a while, and just keep in touch and help where I can.

Looks like a long wait unless they pull out or something!

Guess I'll just have to get another lodger and keep up the car boot sales for a while!

Thanks for all your help so far:)

Fzrkitten.

Fzrkitten

Hi Fzrkitten

Did PM you earlier but caught up on here now.

Really really sorry that things didn't go your way. I was rooting for you on the day. Can't believe its happened as thought you would do well and win, grrrrr really mad for you!!!

Well lets hope the banks get what they deserve in the test case and you and everybody else gets their money back.

Keep in touch.

Ollie xx

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Sorry, I've been very quiet and not very useful for a good while, hope you all are ok. Just wanted to catch up if there is any new news on test case? I can't even do anything til after appeal, judge made sure of that, but wondered how things were going?

Best wishes,

Fzrkitten.

Fzrkitten

Hi fzrkitten,

I agree it has be sooooooooooooooo quiet on here, I have popped on now and then to check if you have updated (forgot I was subscribed and would get an e-mail!)

Must be frustrating for all waiting for the test case but hopefully the time will soon pass (this year has flown!!) and its going to be sorted and in your favour.

Hope alls well with you in other parts of your life.

Ollie

x

Hi fzrkitten,

its been oh so lonely on here recently.

Everybody is sitting waiting and twiddling their thumbs.

Everybody has been stayed!!!

Both of mine are stayed and I can't afford to remove them and everythin is getting close to the test case so everyone is sitting tight and waiting.

Just think of the mounting interest......KERRRRRRRRRRR...........CHING!!!!!

Night Owl

Got Debt problems?

Yes it has gone very quiet recently. I feel so sorry for those of you that were so close! I had applied for judgement as LLOyds had not met the deadline...doesn't that sound all too familiar....I too have been stayed although no mention was made of how long and no indication was given that i had to reapply or would be thrown out.Does anyone know if there are general time lines in this respect or should i call the court and seek advice. I was unnaware that the high court case would go on so long as it appears it will.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

made me laugh, echoing in here!

I guess the guys/gals that work so hard for the site are working hard on the test case at the mo, we are still reliant on the brains of these wonderful people that have helped us all the way.

Did anyone else get stayed the same as me - not only til the end of the test case, but to the end of any appeal as well, AND, if I don't hear anything before end June I think, I have to write to the court or the case will get thrown out, not Lloyds telling them!

I have actually tried to forget for a while, it wasn't doing me any good, as I'm sure you all feel the same too!

I got on with life and have got a new lodger to help pay the mortgage, so things are a little better, and I've never really taken life seriously for long, so I manage!

Hope you are all ok and hanging in there!

BW,

Fzrkitten

x

Fzrkitten

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I haven't really been around for people for a while, (not that you needed me!) hope everyone is ok here, I had a few things going on and I tend to drive myself mad, so I didn't really need lloyds to help! And I haven't felt much use for anyone else for a while - sorry.

Let's hope this is the start of a very good year for everyone - what are the general thoughts out there of our chances in the test case?

Fzrkitten.

Fzrkitten