sparksgem

what are my rights?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4536 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Just need a little help here

bought the kids ex-display laptops for christmas and neither of them are really up to the job we bought them for (we explained to the shop who they were for and what they would be used for). One has been back to Fujitsu twice, the first time for a new hard drive as the original one had died (within 6 weeks of buying it) the second time for a faulty power connector and this time when we got it back, it made a horrible noise. When we rang the fujitsu help line we were told that as it wasnt a fault it would cost us £100 plus the repair, my partner asked if it would invalidate the warranty if he looked inside they said no, but when he tried opening the case he couldnt open the last screw, so he took it back to the shop we bought it from. They opened it and found that fujitsu had in fact put a brand new motherboard into the machine and this was why the fan was catching and making the noise. They solved the problem but only by screwing one of the screws into the fan holder. The second machine has just gone back for a similar fault with the power connector.

i would like to know if i can ask for my money back as neither of the machines has actually worked for more than a few weeks at a time and the warrantly runs out shortly and i dont want to be left with two machines that are useless

i paid a total of £850

thank you

You would have rights against the retailer if the goods are not as described or fit for the normal purpose, or if they are not of satisfactory quality. It is always better to go back to the retailer as by choosing to go direct to the manufacturer you may affect your statutory rights (which can last for longer than any warranty given by the manufacturer). The retailer is entitled to offer a repair or replacement (at their discretion) in the first instance however so you would need to leave the laptops with them and give then a chance to put them back into the condition they should be in.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.