Statute Barred Debts

Vampyra
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm not very clear on this matter, maybe someone can help.

I have some dates here of when some of my accounts fell in default. Maybe someone could advise if they are coming up for statute barred:

account start date: 14th September 1995

default date: 1st May 2002

account start date: 29th March 1997

default date: 10th July 2002

default date of bank account: 29th April 2002 - default entered by DCA

account start date: 14th September 1995

default date: 31st May 2002

account start date: 26th April 2001

default date: 28th February 2003

account start date: 21st June 2000

default date: 11th March 2004

Some I have paid a pound to almost never. A few I have paid nothing too. I also have a £9000 odd debt from the Student Loan Company which I have refused to acknowledge, because I should only be paying stuff back when I start earning over £17000. I didn't but they sent £9000 of it to debt collectors. I would think it will become statute barred eithe this coming January or Jan 2009.

So.......to my question: Is the date of statute barred running from the default date or the date the account was opened? I think the answer is obvious, but I just want to check, many thanks.

Hello there,

A debt would be statute barred if (for a simple debt like an unsecured loan or credit card) six years have passed where you have not made a payment or acknowledged the debt in writing to the company. The time doesn't run from the date of default. To be sure you would really need to try and ascertain when the last payment was made.

I see, well I've scuppered a few of those then because before this site opened I would periodically send £1.00 in fear. Bit wiser now! ;)

Thanks for you help.

still worth CCAing / SARing to get a statement of account, you never know!

Hello there,

A debt would be statute barred if (for a simple debt like an unsecured loan or credit card) six years have passed where you have not made a payment or acknowledged the debt in writing to the company. The time doesn't run from the date of default. To be sure you would really need to try and ascertain when the last payment was made.

Sorry to jump onto your post Vampyra!!!

BTW so glad to find someone the same as me !!!

Is this true ??? As I have something strange going on which is I had a credit card and current account with Halifax, I stopped using both at the same time(stupidly can't remember when), yet the default date on the credit card is March 02 and the amount is settled. Yet the bank account is May 02 . . . . And the default amount is 2120, and currently standing at 3500 (assuming the 75% is additional charges) . . . .

Surely the default date would be the same ???

So is it true that it'd be statue barred 6 years from the last payment/acknowledgement not the default date on file ???

If it is then I may only have 10 months before statue barred on this . . .

Sorry to jump onto your post Vampyra!!!

BTW so glad to find someone the same as me !!!

Is this true ??? As I have something strange going on which is I had a credit card and current account with Halifax, I stopped using both at the same time(stupidly can't remember when), yet the default date on the credit card is March 02 and the amount is settled. Yet the bank account is May 02 . . . . And the default amount is 2120, and currently standing at 3500 (assuming the 75% is additional charges) . . . .

Surely the default date would be the same ???

So is it true that it'd be statue barred 6 years from the last payment/acknowledgement not the default date on file ???

If it is then I may only have 10 months before statue barred on this . . .

Time runs from your last payment or aknowledgement, the latter must have been in writing.

Paul

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

Time runs from your last payment or aknowledgement, the latter must have been in writing.

Paul

Thanks for that !!! Makes me feel a little better about the issue !!!