• Tweets

• Your attachment showing the cinema parking restrictions seems crystal clear. Let's see what the photos turn up.
    • Meter certification periods re given in The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998, Schedule 4. From there you can check if they are correct about your specific meter .. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1566/schedule/4 If they're telling porkies then you have e clear grounds to tell them to take  hike. If they're correct or if you haven't been able to confirm then you have  few options. You could just keep fobbing them off. In general Octopus can't keep up with demand for smart meters. It took 9 months to get our. So they may not push too hard. Or ask if you can install your own choice of meter. The Electricity Act 1989 cover this in Schedule 7 (2) and (2A) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/29/schedule/7 Or fight the them and their enforcement. Or go off supply.
    • We received a copy of the completed Directions Questionnaire (N181) from the solicitors along with a draft copy of their directions. I am on a course today so can upload over the weekend if needed. By 4pm on 16th May both parties must each give standard disclosure of documents by way of list by category. By 4pm on 30th May any request for inspection or copies of docs must be made and compiled 14 days thereafter. I will provide more over the weekend.
    • Have you asked for advice from your students union people? HB
    • I (and other respondents) always advise “not getting caught in a lie” it hardens their response. Why would they now believe protestations of remorse and “I won’t do it again” if they've already seen you'd lie and say it was a one-off when it wasn't..  You can try approaching the prosecutor on the day, but "I wouldn't hold my breath" …..  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

debitas help needed please

lucy07
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6107 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi just wondered if someone could help me I had a worrying talk with debitas yesterday regarding my fathers credit card. We lost my mother last october and a couple of weeks ago my father unfortunately had a stroke and is currently in hospital. He had an arrangement to pay £35 a month which was due on the 9th April which understandbly he forgot to mention. They told me that since he has now defaulted on the arrangement they wanted me to pay £120 a month ( his outstanding debt is £800 ) I told them there is no way We could afford that I explained his situation but they did not want to know, they told me that unless we pay £120 by Thursday 19th April a doorstep collector or bailiff will call or they will take legal action. This on top of everything else I have to cope with is very distressing Do I send a letter stating there appauling behaviour could someone please advise

Lucy, first of all I was sorry to hear the news about your fathers' stroke.

There are some excellent medecines available now that will help to prevent

further attacks though it will mean taking pills every day from now on.

Secondly as you are dealing with an uncaring/unfeeling company, do not

deal witgh them on the phone in future-it will only distress you more whilst

they will continue being unpleasant since there will be no record of their

conversation.

Writing to them is the best way to a] provide a record of your dealings with

them should legal action be taken [either by yourselves or them] and b] they

will not be so callous by letter normally as they will be aware that theirl

correspondence to you could be used as a complaint against them. Make

sure that any mail you send to them is via recorded delivery as that will

bring home to them that you are not to be messed about with. [You should

also keep copies of everything you write to them and retain everything they

send you].

If finances allow, send them this months £35 along with a letter confirming

your earlier telephone call and including the threats they made-so that you

have on record the contents of the phone call. Confirm that the £35 per

month payments will continue when your father is back on his feet again

on the usual payment day [assuming that he will be in a position to maintain

regular payments-don't say that he will do something that he will be unable

to fulfill]. And point out to them that though your father would like to clear up the outstanding amount, their demand to increase the payment to £120

is unreasonable and unacceptable. Complain about their behavior as well

though I doubt that it will do much to change their stance.

Include with the letter, a second letter known as a CCA request [you will need your father to sign this one] along with a £1 postal order. Make it quite

clear that the £1 is NOT to come off the debt and that they will understand

that there are time limits attached to the request and until the request has

been properly dealt with, they cannot pursue your father for the debt-that

includes legal action and doorstep collectors as well as phone calls and

letters asking for the debt to be paid.

There is a template letter for the CCA request which can be found in the

General Debts section, followed by looking in the "sticky" section-the last

thread in it [written by Barracad] contaims any number of useful letters and

the one you want is letter N.

Once they have received it, they have twelve working days in which to send

you the required document copies, failure will mean that they are in default.

If they still haven't produced the papers within a further month, they have committed an offence, and until they can produce the relevant paperwork

the debt is unenforceable and no payments are necessary.

It amazes me how unsympathetic these idiots can be at times and I hope you get some useful advice about how to deal with them.

Debitas have threatened to send a doorstep collector or bailiff on the 19th, well if they do slam the door in their face caus you are under no obligation to speak to them or let them in. The only way a bailiff could be involved with this debt is if it was to go through the County Court and a judgement was passed. However IF they decide to take legal action I would say you have fairly good grounds for a defence considering the circumstances.

I would consider making a complaint to Trading Standards and the OFT regarding the behaviour of the company.

My final thought is why have they been discussing your father's account with you. Did your father give Debitas permission to discuss his account with you? If not then a breach of the Data Protection Act has occurred.

Thank you for replying to me I will send a letter today with the payment, I do already have authority to speak on his account but will only deal with them by letter with copies for myself in future. I have calmed down now but still feel agrieved at the attitude of this woman.

• 3 months later...

hi there, im having problems with them aswell. they say my name birthday doesnt match their information. i have a debt for 250.00 and have been trying to pay it but they want my birth cert, marriage cert and sample of my signature. not sure what to do but deff dont want to send them original copies

hi there, im having problems with them aswell. they say my name birthday doesnt match their information. i have a debt for 250.00 and have been trying to pay it but they want my birth cert, marriage cert and sample of my signature. not sure what to do but deff dont want to send them original copies

You are not obliged to provide them with ANY of this stuff so i wouldn't be.

1st daughterbax, are you sure you owe any money at all. Debitas may have got the wrong person if the DOB they have does not match yours. Do not send

them anything and if they continue to push, and if you are sure you do not owe the £250, threaten them with breaches of the Data Protection Act.

Also if they write to you again, please start a new thread so as to avoid

hijacking Lucys'.

Sorry I have not replied I have been in hospital and currently off work so finding it hard to access a computer at the moment, I am back at work on the 13th august so will be back on line, In answer to your question I did manage to sort a payment plan out for my father but it did take a while to sort, i didnt have to send any paperwork off though to varify anything