Overdrawn account sent to debt collectors

corn flake

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5514 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wondering if you could offer some advice.

Back sometime ago I bought 5 items from ebay all under £2 each. I paid via Paypal from my Abbey account. Only to find I didnt have the pennies in there I thought I had and abbey charged me £35 for each transaction takng me £175 overdrawn. I didnt have the money to pay these charges and as a result it snowballed making a total of £270 overdrawn. It was then referred to a debt collection agency and the account was closed. I have been paying the agency back at £5 a week and now have about £85 left outstanding.

I have filed an MCOL claim fro the £270 against the abbey which they have acknowledged.

My question is am I entitled to have the default removed that they made against me as if they hadnt of charged me I wouldnt have got into the mess. Also can I claim back the debt collection fees?

Thanks for reading

Tanya xxx

I would have thought that claiming back the debt collection fee is a valid calim. It arose because Abbey took unfair and unlawful charges from your account. If it were me , I would have included it in my claim to Abbey on the MCOL. ie my claim would have been made up of 3 items - item 1 bank charges, item 2 debt collector's fee, item 3 interest on items 1 and 2.

I would be interested to hear anyone elses views on this.