Trusted Paypal - now lost £500+ HELP!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6195 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everybody,

I have only just joined this group - so first of all Hello!

I am having some problems with paypal and could do with some advice. recently sold an item on ebay (only joined them in jan so new user) for £525. Paypal confirmed the next day after the auction that the money had been received into my account, sent by a verified paypal user. An address was included in the transaction details for the seller - so I packaged up the item and sent it royal mail special delivery immediatley.

The next day I then transfered the money from paypal into my bank account. On the third day I had a message from ebay stating that the auction had fraudulent activity occuring. Then paypal messaged me to say there was a dispute with the transaction and would investigate. The next day I had a message saying that the money had been returned to the buyer(?) and the dispute closed, thats it no explanation or anything.

The buyer claims their account was used fraudulently.

However the item has been signed for at the address stated on the paypal and ebay pages. I am just waiting to have the signature confirmed by royal mail. Paypal will not give me sellers protection because the address was not verified - I dont know what this means???

Any advice or help would be great -

Sorry for the long message.......

Andiec

Paypal do seem to be a law unto themselves!!!! hopefully someone should be along to offer good advice soon, however, I've been stung by paypal both as a buyer and seller - and they've never been any help at all to me. I now no longer use them at all for ebay auctions.

good luck and best wishes.

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

You will need to make a formal complaint to Paypal, requesting what's going on.

I don't use paypal if I can help it:mad:

probably won't help as its an unverified address - best bet would be to try get the cops involved or if not too far away pay the buyer a visit.

probably won't help as its an unverified address - best bet would be to try get the cops involved or if not too far away pay the buyer a visit.

I kinda like your style :lol:

But seriously, are NayPal not sposed to give you your money back when you complain?

:DABBEY-WON! £1,359.34

:confused:CAPITAL ONE WON £1,523.27+£39court fees.

they protect you in certain circumsances but you have to follow their tight rules. Having traceable methods of posting is one and being delivered to a registered address is another. If you don't follow their (sometimes stupid) rules then they couldn't care less about how much other proof you had.

its absolutly disgusting that the buyer signed for the goods knowing full well they had not paid for it, there is a way of getting telephone numbers for people on ebay i would try that and ring them, saying that the goods to be returned or they will be getting a visit from the police, its theft.

PayPal are about as much use as 'Swiss' Des Browne.

If a buyer claims not to have received goods, PayPal will refund them unless the seller has sent the item by a trackable method.

However, this appears to be a case where the buyer has used dodgy credit card details, in which case PayPal has not refunded the buyer, but itself.

Go to the police. Don't be fobbed off by a civilian at the reception desk - ask to speak to a police officer about a case of obtaining goods by deception. Many police stations now have officers specifically trained in internet crime, including Ebay. Take printouts of everything relevant - the auction listing, every email from the buyer and PayPal, and the package delivery details. PayPal do co-operate with the police, and will give them more details of the transaction.

However, don't be surprised if the address the package was delivered to turns out to be an accommodation address or similar, used by criminals to receive goods to sell on.

Hi ScarletPimpernel,

Thanks for your encouraging reply, I find all this kind of stuff pretty stressful and I have already decided to close both my ebay and paypal account. On one hand I just want to forget about the whole thing and get on with life (£500 poorer) but on the other I kinda think why the hell should I let this go. Once I have a signature from Royal mail I will pursue this with the police. I will keep you all posted.

Cheers.

What i would do...

1) It seems that the buyer complained to PayPal to get money taken back so i suggest as you have his/hers address file a small claims ... and claim it with interest!!

2) Complain to Paypal

I doubt the police would do much... its fraud and theft yes... but you sent the parcel to them - they took money back - as its under £1000 i reckon the police will drag their feet, civil action is whats needed - anyone elses thoughts?

I agree about keep complaining to paypal and ask for a full written explanation of why the monies were taken back . maybe threaten publicity about the paypal system that you obviously trusted.

Personally I have found ebay/paypal to be helpful but you have to persevere sometimes.

best of luck

jansus:)

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi ,

Thanks for your replies, I already feel so much better about what I feel may be a hopeless case. I have been reading other`threads about paypal and cannot believe how much "Crap" they seem to be getting away with.

Is it time that we as comsumers really tried to take a stand? Is media the right way, maybe watchdog or office of fair trading? - Anyones else?

lol, FSA... they do **** all, like the bank charges were illegal.. did you see FSA, OFT etc. step in? noooooooo...... surely, them regulators have the power to say to each bank, you have 6 months to refund all the customers for these illegal amounts... nothing has happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

Just thought i would give a quick update on my problem.

I have recently spent nearly 3hrs in the local police station giving a very detailed (11 page) statement to the police about my problem. I handed in 19 pieces of evidence (mostly copies of emails between myself, ebay and paypal and the POD from Royal Mail). This will now be passed up to Leeds police which is where the item was send (leeds) as this is where the crime took place.

The PC still advised me to try and pursue my money through paypal with a solicitors letter to them - cant decided yet whether to or not. Also just for your info most police forces now have a policy of not investigating anything less then £500 in value if it is ebay.

Will let you know if anything happens with the leeds police - not really holding my breath though.

The PC still advised me to try and pursue my money through paypal with a solicitors letter to them - cant decided yet whether to or not. Also just for your info most police forces now have a policy of not investigating anything less then £500 in value if it is ebay.

Will let you know if anything happens with the leeds police - not really holding my breath though.

You can always sue the buyer personally for non-payment.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

Guest ArthurP
Also just for your info most police forces now have a policy of not investigating anything less then £500 in value if it is ebay.

I spent a week at a police station last year as part of a course I was doing and even back then I was told that, unofficially, with ebay, it's just a different ball game regarding crime. At least here in south Wales.

However, it's for where the crime took place for that police force to investigate so it's a UK wide thing.

There just isn't enough resources and some scams are difficult, logistically, to even investigate.

Even a theft of a £1 has to be investigated if reported, technically, but I'd guess only higher level activity is pursued with any rigour with ebay.

I rarely use it now. Too many crooks.

Hi,

Would be difficult to charge agaimst the original buyer as he/she is claiming fraudulent use of their account (backed up by both ebay and paypal). Although I have a POD from Royal mail to the address is Leeds the clever postman didnt get a printed name - only a scribbled signature which cannot be deciphered. Royal Mails argument is that they deliver to an address, not a person so dont care who signs for its as long as it has been signed for. So without a name, not sure who I can sue to get my money back. I have tried to find out who owns the house, but no luck through Electoral rolls etc. Anybody else have any ideas where I can find who is the owner of the house?

Cheers,

Andiec

Land Registry online ;)

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

£4,200 in charges claimed back succesfully from a total of 5 Creditors

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

NEXT Directory - No Agreement, No Further Action **WON**

2010 Issues

Court Claim from Black Horse - AOS 22.11.10, CPR 23.11.10

Assisting Daughter with Employment Tribunal for Wrongful Dismissal/Discrimination

:) My Head is officially out of the Sand :)

What area of Leeds was it sent to? I live in Leeds and if it's in my neck of the woods I could do a little reccy mission to ascertain whether the property is likely a drop point or an actual dwelling for somebody. Don't put full address, just area or Leeds 11, 12 or whatever and I'll PM if I'm nearby.

It's cases like this which make me wonder if "dodgeball actions" are allowed, where you line up all the involved parties and name them all as defendants.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941