Smutley V Barclays

smutley
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3633 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody else heard this? My daughter says she heard on Radio 4 that those of us who have already taken the bank to court and had it stayed, should now be immediately re-applying to the courts to re-open their case.

can't find anything on this anywhere.Any comments?

regards to you all

mummybird

Hi MBird,

Read the Site announcements at the top of the Barclays (or any) forum.

They say you should not do anything yet, until the Site has updated info on how you should proceed.

New POC's and letters are being drafted.

Keep watching the announcements for updates.

Of course, if you receive anything from the bank or the court, you should seek advice on how to respond. :)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Olden,

If you're referring to Martin Lewis on MSE, he is rather more pessamistic, apparently, about the bank charges reclaiming situation than we are here.

Watch out for our Site announcements.

:)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

me too Val but as Barclays have reduced their fees now to £8 (I opted out of the reserve option) they are admitting that their fees were previously excessive and therefore should refund us the pro rata difference... yeah and pigs can fly!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Hope we get some new template letters soon. I have two cases for my family on hold in Cardiff.

I feel in the mood to get it all going again.

Has anyone spoken to Cardiff Court

Kind regards and lets hope 2010 brings us some better news.

Hi MB, me and Olden (or Olden and I !) are wondering what course of action to take next. Do we wait for the template letters (if any) or should we be contacting the court... and saying what? But having lost my enthusiam on the whole thing I'm feeling a bit defeated right now. But if we can hatch a plan I am sure I will get back into it all!

Happy New Year to you too! x

Sorry to say but the Supreme Court ruling and the OFT's decision not to appeal further leaves us with little hope of pursuing bank charge reclaims on mass, like before July 2007.

There is still work underway, based on the prinipal of Unfairness, which may help some individual cases.

Watch out for further news on this.

Hi all Thanks for the info as smutley says we were hoping there was something we could do, but its soul destroying to think after all the hard work, I feel cheated wonder if the government had anything to do with the decision, is there anything they would not do ?

I am so glad more and more people are waking up o the fact that there is something radically wrong with a system which can give themselves millions of pounds of tax payers money and then go bust and let the tax payers bail them out and then lo and behold REWARD themselves with fat bonuses with tax payers money for doing a grand job !! ARE WE SUPID ARE WE ANGRY YES we can't even get our thousand pounds back

rant over xxx

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody,

An update for you. I have two cases on hold at Cardiff C.C. This week a letter from the court re the HSBC, asking if I wanted to continue, but nothing regarding Barclays. I telephoned the court for an explanation. They said HSBC have asked for the case to be dismissed, hence my letter, but they've heard nothing from Barclays. I have decided not to bother with the HSBC because it was on behalf of my son's then girlfriend, who has been long gone 2 years!) I paid her court fees etc. so I've decided not to throw any more time and money at it. However I would like to "stir-up"my daughter's case with Barclays..... I haven't found any new templates on this site, although Martin Lewis has put some on his site. My first inclination is to write to Barclays and ask them if they would like to settle, before I resume court proceedings. Any sugestions would be most welcome. I can't use the hardship argument because she has a good job now, but at the time the charges did cause her considerable financial hardship. The bankers' bonus's are making me spit feathers!

Hi MB, Like you, I've not heard anything from either the court or Barclays and was also considering sending Barclays a letter, with some sort of reasoning as to why they might wish to settle or pay back the difference between the old charges and the new rate of £8..... ?

Hi MBird,

While I see Smutley's logic, asking Barclays if they'll refund the difference between what they charged and the present £8 will result in B's saying their charges are fair and will stand.

To take your case further, you'll need to argue on the grounds of unfairness.

There's more on this in the announcements at the top of the forum's pages.

:)

Edited by slick132
typo

• 4 years later...

Im back! Took a while to find my log in details and Hello to anyone who remembers me! Well in light of the new overdraft charges that Barclays are introducing in June I am back in fighting mode! I didn't receive a penny from Barclays after the OFT challenged the banks in court which left me with an overdraft just over 2K. I now have to sort this out as my fees are going to treble. After a meeting with my 'Personal Banker' (useless) I am phoning the Financial Services department tomorrow for more advice ... I wonder if they will be interested in the fact that the overdraft is all bank charges and I have not used the account since 2007 and have actually paid them in fees and interest over 3K .... will update

Hi Smutley and thanks for the update.

I too had a word with staff at my local branch and was not impressed with the prospect of being clobbered by daily charges that will massively increase the amount I've paid historically for using the o/d on my a/c.

If you are not using this a/c, you would perhaps be better walking away from it. I assume you have facilities away from Barclays, in which case tell them this a/c and o/d is crippling you and, unless they agree to stop adding any interest or charges, you will have to let it go to collections. Then the balance will not increase further and you can start paying it off at a rate you can afford, to bring the balance steadily down.

See this Article here if you are in Financial Difficulty - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387436-Letter-for-consideration-regarding-Hardship-or-Financial-Difficulty

Keep us updated please.

:-)