chrismc V's Barclays

chrismc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need a bit of guidance on this please. I used to have a Barclays Personal Current Acc, with a £3k overdraft, at the time I was spliting up with the ex things got bad, she dissappeared leaving me loads of problems etc and lots of debts. Barclays took me to court and got a CCJ against me, (approx 1-2 years ago) since which I have been paying their £3k debt monthly.

However, long before they took me to court, their fees, charges, penalties were escalating and increased to well over £1300.00 or more adding to the original £3k debt (don't know exact amount)

Questions:

1. Since they have taken me to court and obtained a Judgement will I still be able to go after them and claim back at least all the charges, fees, penalties etc even if it is only to reduce the debt that I am already paying?

2. If the answer is YES, has anyone successfully done this and have they any advice.

If it wasn't for the CCJ I would go straight after them,, but I am a bit confused as to whether the fact they have taken me to court and obtained a judgement would restrict me from doing this.

Thanks once again for your help and guidance.

Chrismc

Chrismc v Vertex Data Science Ltd

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Won - Settlement Agreed at 11th Hour.

Philips Bailiffs

Lost - Judge changed at last minute, it didn't help!

G-MAC Early Redemption Charges Waived

Won - Early Redemtion Fees Waived in Full.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a bit of guidance on this please. I used to have a Barclays Personal Current Acc, with a £3k overdraft, at the time I was spliting up with the ex things got bad, she dissappeared leaving me loads of problems etc and lots of debts. Barclays took me to court and got a CCJ against me, (approx 1-2 years ago) since which I have been paying their £3k debt monthly.

However, long before they took me to court, their fees, charges, penalties were escalating and increased to well over £1300.00 or more adding to the original £3k debt (don't know exact amount)

Questions:

1. Since they have taken me to court and obtained a Judgement will I still be able to go after them and claim back at least all the charges, fees, penalties etc even if it is only to reduce the debt that I am already paying?

2. If the answer is YES, has anyone successfully done this and have they any advice.

If it wasn't for the CCJ I would go straight after them,, but I am a bit confused as to whether the fact they have taken me to court and obtained a judgement would restrict me from doing this.

Thanks once again for your help and guidance.

Chrismc

Hi Chris

please make sure you take proper advice,but I would imagine question 1 would be incentive enough to get them nailed to the wall-you could possibly also claim that the fees compounded your debt ptoblem,resulting in tht CCJ in the first place-and that being the case you may be in a position to have the CCJ reversed.

But as my signature says,seek proper advice!!:)

Thanks for your comments, I will wait and see what others have to say also, or as you rightly say, take professional advice at some stage before I take any action.

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Well thinking about it, I don't see as I have anything to loose by firing off a DPA anyway, they may argue but so what, if the charges they applied are in fact penalties then they surely should not have applied them in the first place and therefore may be clawed back?? or am I missing something?

I have been paying them back now for 2+ years the CCJ amount they claimed for which I have since checked just todaywas around £4800.00+ so £1700.00+ of that must be charges as far as I can tell.

So if I got that back it makes a hell of a difference, added to what I have paid and there may not be much left as a balance. Also what if I can prove the amount they claimed for through the court is in fact not actually owed and not correct, how does that stack up? maybe as lickthewallfatboy stated it compounded the debt and added to my problems, so all in all I think it is worth a shot across their bows and see what response I get.

Anyone got any comments, if not lets face it what more can they do to me, I don't bank with them anymore, unless someone has a good reason not too, I will be sending off a DPA on Tuesday to:-

FAO Sharon Caffery

Subject Access Officer

Barclays Bank plc - Data Protection

Radbroke Hall

Knutsford

Cheshire

WA16 9EU

Chris

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Anymore advice anyone.....DPA going off tomorrow, if not!!

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

I would say that you are in a strong position as the charges are within the last six years - this means they should be included within the DPA.

Once you have the information you could give the county court a ring and see what the likelihood is of getting a set-aside on the basis that the original claim contained unlawful amounts - a fact that you have only now become aware.

If this does not work, and it is a long shot, you can then follow the usual process to get the charges reversed, and offset against the debt. Certainly, to answer your final question, the CCJ does not stop you from doing that.

I would say that you are in a strong position as the charges are within the last six years - this means they should be included within the DPA.

Once you have the information you could give the county court a ring and see what the likelihood is of getting a set-aside on the basis that the original claim contained unlawful amounts - a fact that you have only now become aware.

If this does not work, and it is a long shot, you can then follow the usual process to get the charges reversed, and offset against the debt. Certainly, to answer your final question, the CCJ does not stop you from doing that.

Thanks Alan for you comments and advice, so I will send off the DPA tomorrow as planned then and see what happens.

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

DPA request letter sent 30th May 2006 Recorded Delivery with £10.00 fee.

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

I received a reply from Peter Townsend at Barclays today, fairly standard letter I assume but a couple of paragraphs which I haven’t seen elsewhere, maybe someone could advise me.

Interestingly he sent my £10.00 cheque back but sort of asked for it back again later, is this just a delaying tactic or in fact a new guise??

Here is the start of the letter:

I refer to your letter which was passed to me for comment due to your request for certain information under the terms of the Data Protection Act (“the DPA”)

Please be aware that the Bank is not under an obligation to present information to any particular format. Therefore, your request to assemble a schedule of charges is turned aside. You may of course obtain data from copy statements and these will be supplied to you shortly without charge on this occasion. As the Bank is providing the copy statements on a complimentary basis your cheque is returned herewith.

So far so good and fairly straightforward, now the next bit

As regards your mention of “Manual Intervention”, the DPA does not oblige the Bank to comment about Internal Policies and procedures. Furthermore, in the context of managing day to day transactions arising from out of order accounts, the Bank does not hold the information you have requested in a form that would be covered by the DPA. Whilst aggregated information is retained for statistical purposes, this would not constitute “personal data” under DPA and therefore would not be covered by a s.7 DPA subject access request. For further avoidance of doubt, the fact that we do not generally record information in a way that is caught by the provisions of the DPA, is no way and admission that there was no such manual intervention.

Any comments anyone? Is this just standard jargon?

And now they ask for the £10 back, is this step necessary or is it just listed to confuse?

Notwithstanding the above, the Bank is of course entirely willing to supply the general information that should be disclosed due to the DPA. To initiate the process Barclays will require payment of a £10.00 fee per individual which should be provided by cheque, payable to Barclays plc, directly to this department. Upon payment of the fee(s) the relevant information will be supplied as promptly as possible.

Yours etc etc

Do I just wait now for the Bank Statements or do I need the additional information??

Thanks for your help!

Chris

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Get all the information that they hold on you - if your DPA was a SAR then they should send every recorded piece of information that they hold on you. Its a stalling tactic. They won't give all of the information unless you really push for it, becasue there might possible be data in there that they would rather you not see or may help your case.

You have to remember that at all times your are dealing with a bunch of procrastinating sh*ts who really don't give a toss about you, the're just looking after their own personal interests in climbing the corporate ladder and keeping their annual bonus (not that I'm bitter an twisted...)

If you requested a SAR then write back in the strongest possible terms requesting again the data that you want.

Get all the information that they hold on you - if your DPA was a SAR then they should send every recorded piece of information that they hold on you. Its a stalling tactic. They won't give all of the information unless you really push for it, becasue there might possible be data in there that they would rather you not see or may help your case.

You have to remember that at all times your are dealing with a bunch of procrastinating sh*ts who really don't give a toss about you, the're just looking after their own personal interests in climbing the corporate ladder and keeping their annual bonus (not that I'm bitter an twisted...)

If you requested a SAR then write back in the strongest possible terms requesting again the data that you want.

Thanks CrispDust......That is what I thought, yes I sent in the DPA request letter template from here, exactly as told to do so word for word. I thought it must be a stalling tactic, but was a bit confused as I had not seen similarly worded letters anywhere else.

I will be replying to them tomorrow and sending my cheque back once again!!

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Ok I have my response ready to go, anything I need to add anyone?

Dear Mr Townsend,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXXX

Data Protection Act 1998 Subject access request

Further to your letter dated 31st May and received today 2nd June 2006, I acknowledge the fact that you will be sending me all the bank statements from 21st December 2000 to date in due course.

I would also request you supply me with all other information and documentation the Bank holds and is therefore necessary to be disclosed under the terms of the Data Protection Act as stated in your letter dated 31st May 2006. Again I enclose the statutory fee of £10.00 as requested and would like to remind you that you have 40 days from 30th May 2006 in which to comply

I would be happy to collect the Data from my local branch.

Yours sincerely,

etc etc

I will of course be sending this Recorded Delivery again.

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Letter sent today recorded delivery, second DPA/SAR request due to Barclays delaying tactics.

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

keep us informed

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Thanks MJanet, as soon as I hear anymore I will post it.

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Reply recieved today from Sharon Caffery agreeing to my Subject Access Request under the DPA and will be provided within the 40 day period.

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst waiting for the DPA information I thought I would send off to the courts requesting they set aside the CCJ.

I sent a letter off to the courts on the 19th June and today I received a letter back from the court, apparantly they gave me the wrong form last time :( so now it is going back again on the correct Form N244 with a £65.00 fee they have asked for.

The reason I have stated in Part C for the CCJ to be set aside is:

The reason being that new evidence has come to light that the charges applied making up a significant portion of this debt were in fact unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

Additionally, it has now been confirmed that their particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the OFT who reported on the 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary

Their concealment of the true nature of their charges has prevented me from asserting my right until now

There has been alot more discussion about set aside of CCJ's etc in the thread Trying to Build a Better Credit Rating specifically posts 20 - 33

Chris

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Received a very large DHL package today from Peter Townsend at Barclays with a 2" thick wedge of documents enclosed. Looks like I have some reading matter to get stuck into.:o

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Well that was a waste of a good tree!! no statements just a load of waste paper really!! Another letter going off tomorrow now then, to find out what they think they are playing at. :mad:

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Chris....

You cannot get the pretty dressed up statement unless you are prepared to pay lots of pennies for them (about £3 per statement)..... then you probably would not be able to get the full 6 years.

All the information you need is in that big wadge of papers.

Go through them with a highlight marker and look for.....

PAID REFERRAL.

UNPAID OUTS.

UNAUTH. OVERDRAFT.

These will all be round figures......£10, £20, £25, £30, £35, etc.

Download the spreadsheet template from the template library and transfer the charges on to it.

If you want to get your penalty charges back, you must be prepared to do a little bit of work for them.

This site contains all the info you need to achieve this.

Go for it.......Good Luck.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Chris....

You cannot get the pretty dressed up statement unless you are prepared to pay lots of pennies for them (about £3 per statement)..... then you probably would not be able to get the full 6 years.

All the information you need is in that big wadge of papers.

Go through them with a highlight marker and look for.....

PAID REFERRAL.

UNPAID OUTS.

UNAUTH. OVERDRAFT.

These will all be round figures......£10, £20, £25, £30, £35, etc.

Download the spreadsheet template from the template library and transfer the charges on to it.

If you want to get your penalty charges back, you must be prepared to do a little bit of work for them.

This site contains all the info you need to achieve this.

Go for it.......Good Luck.

Mr Rooster, thanks for your help, however, there is nothing in that big fat wedge of papers of any relevance whatsoever, no figures or charges listed at all just a complete waste of paper and ink!!! Secondly, Peter Townsend has already written to me stating I can have all the copies of my bank statements free of charge and they would be sent on to me, that was about three weeks ago. He did argue that I could not have this big fat wedge of papers, until I wrote back stating he HAD to supply them, he then wrote back to me stating he woud comply within the 40 day limit.

Well he has partly complied, sent me all this lot yesterday, but nothing with any figures, charges, fees etc etc that is of any use to me.

Maybe they are taking a new tact on these requests. Trying to delay and confuse us?? In any event he will have another letter on his desk tomorrow morning just to be sure. :)

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Recorded Delivery letter sent confirming they agreed to provide me with the bank statements FOC and advising again the clock is ticking on the 40 day period.

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Statements arrived today, looks like I have some reading to do this weekend ;)

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Prelim approach letter sent Recorded Delivery 3rd July stating I would give them 14 days.

Recieved a standard letter today saying the correspondance had been passed on to the Head of Customer Relations a Mr. M. Brophy and he would expect to be able to contact me again by 1st August, that is nice of him!!!

They have 10 days not the 27 they want and then a chaser will be going off.

They also enclosed a nice free leaflet for me entitled ' Don't Hold Back your feedback - What to do to Complain' I already know Mr Barclays, thankyou!! :D

Chris

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Standard reply received "sorry to learn you feel the bank charges you have incurred are unfair" etc etc etc "I am unwilling to refund the charges you have incurred as requested" etc etc etc

So on to the next stage :)

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks