• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

GOT A COURT DATE? Important, please read......

GaryH
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5683 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a call from the Clerk of the court today on the judge's instructions following my letter asking for the stay on my case to be lifted. she said that the judge had informed her that I would be liable for all costs for an application for a stay to be lifted should it not be granted. She said that all cases of this kind were being stayed until after the Test case. She did also however say that the Test Case starting in Jan/Feb should last around 6 weeks. Also that if lost the banks were likely to appeal. However, as there are hundreds of thousands of cases pending, the appeal would be fast-tracked for around June and a ruling should be made by September of next year at the latest. She said that the Judge was very keen that everyone knew that it would not take up to 2 years as has been bandied around, but should be less than a year.

Anyway, on that advice I have asked them to ignore my letter for the stay to be lifted and they will keep all my details on file.

Hi JGJ,

Sorry I haven't been around lately.

The clarification from Gary about directions was only what he said in post 423.

How are things with your case in Oct? Have you been stayed yet or does it look like going ahead?

Regards,

John

John, All goes well, to date had letter from SC@M informing that they intend to apply to courts to STAY all bank charges cases, I have wrote to them(SC@M) and the court objecting to such a ruling, Will have to keep our fingers crossed and hope we have a D.J. simpathetic to our cases. Bus. claim have had offer from them so am considering terms which are almost there!!! ;) ;) :D

Hi there,

I am due in Kidderminster small claims court on the 12th September and I am preparing my court bundle which needs to be submitted by the 29th August.

I am nearly there although it looks like I may be missing a couple of things:

The witness statement refers to:

1) 2004 & 2006 Terms of use of debit card - clause 9.2

2) Terms of use of cheque guarantee card - clause 6.5

3) Interfoto vs Stilleto (1988) Case Law

Also where the basic bundle/ witness statement refers to case law/ or Legal statute do I need to print the whole lot out?

Thanks

Jody

Hi Tina and John. I am so sorry that you have been stuck with a stay on your case. It seems really unfair that the banks seem to be getting most of their own way.

I also can't understand why the OFT have left important consumer groups out of their discussions with the banks. Is there any way that these groups can insist on being involved in the process or is it now just down to the OFT to represent everyone?

I must admit that I would feel more confident if CAG or Martin from moneysaving were fighting in our corner. I can't help feeling that it is all too cosy with OFT.:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

CHELSEA BOY""" You answer to the court not to any BANKS solicitors, Courts apply stays or directions not solicitors for the financial institutions. YOU arrive at court with all your docs in preparation for the hearing. Do not fall into the trap of thinking the banks solicitors are your friend they are not.Best of luck with your hearing.See ZOOTSCOOTS post (4) Stays info and guidance ;) ;) :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/17065-application-removal-stay-updated.html#post1046820

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/111130-new-forum-stays.html

there you go all the information you need is on these threads..... and if not sure jsut ask as many questions as you like...........someone will be able to help you and good luck........age:)

rockin all over the world

before disricct judge w jackson sitting at canterbury county court,upon the courts own motion.the court has made this order of its own initiative without a hearing.bla bla bla. upon it appearing that thi issues in this case are to be considered in litigation currently before the commercial court. order; claim be stayed with immediate effect pending the ultimate determination of the test case in the commercial court. permission to each party to apply to remove the stay bla bla bla. never got my day in court,just feel like am £80 worse off than when i started all this,if only i started a few weeks earlier would of got paid out cos was about to get an offer until that test case thing started. oh well,good luck every1 else

I had exactly the same issue with the bank seeking a relief from proceedings (stay), however if anyone knows that their bank has not applied and submitted evidence for the stay within the 7-day period after the order of direction was served - then read my thread as yesterday I won against Lloyds in-court even when they plain face took me for a ride.

The judge awarded me the judgement based on Lloyds not satisfying the criteria of CPR 3.8 & 3.9 (see my thread for more info)

This issue can be used to appeal against the stay even if it's in place (Judge gave me an off-the-cuff hint).

Click here for my thread

P.S. Could anyone help me out with what I should do next after i've now got the judgement i.e. letters to request payment, contact number to call lloyds and ask for payment etc. I'd appreciate it please :D

P.P.S Tried to PM GaryH and the poor guy's mailbox is full :oops:

Obtained Judgement

:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quote:

Confucius say, Man who walk through airport door sideways going to Bangkok.

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

......................... ......................... ....

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

My case was heard on 26th October.

I have just received my Judgement, the cliam is stayed until further order to await Office of fair trading V's Seven defendant banks.

I have also been given the option to lift the stay within 7 days? Is this unusal to get this option and if so should i take it??? Anyone know?:?

• 1 month later...

Hello Friends, Need Urgent help..

I have got court special directions to submit all documents with in 14 days of order. As I have posted them first class, it was a big bundle, it is missed in the post. I have phone court and court said they havenot received that. I think, it was lost in the post due to chrismas rush..

Please help me what to do ? will court struck me our or can I give any explanation and deliver photocopy of whole bundle to the court..

Please help me urgently

Please help me what to do ? will court struck me our or can I give any explanation and deliver photocopy of whole bundle to the court..

The courts are usually quite lenient with individual litigants. Tell them what has happened and I'm sure you will be encouraged to submit a duplicate set of documents.

The only problem might be if you are well past the deadline for submission of documents and the case papers are already with the judge. What is your deadline date? Did you send a copy bundle to the defendants?

Are you able to take the replacement bundle to the court and hand it in, rather than risk the postal system again?

Most importantly though, contact the court immediately.

Els

Well, the sooner you inform the court, the sooner you will know if they will accept a late submission of documents. Do you have proof of posting for the original bundle?

Be prepared for them telling you that, because your bundle was not received in good time, your claim has been struck out. If that is the case, you will have to apply to have the claim reinstated. Let's hope that, like most courts, they have a backlog and your case has not yet been dealt with.

Els

• 8 months later...

NON-COMPLIANCE OF SAR

Following submission of N1 and AQ to my local court, I now have a court date of 27th 0ctober 2008.

I have to submit my court bundle/ all documents im going to be using by the 19 September 2008 and would like a little help on what to include here. I will be submitting the Data Protection Act 1998 and the bank letters stating they will be sending the statements by dates that have now long since past. also all letters and the initial SAR request, is there more i can include??

Any help would be most welcome

Thanks

Ash

Allocation Hearing, 12th September

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/138974-aterlatus-lloydstsb.html

Looking for advice from anyone who's been through an allocation hearing recently and managed to avoid a stay, particularly through hardship claims. Of course any random tips will be greatly appreciated - never been to court before and it's truly terrifying :p