togeoff

PC World et al

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4477 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello, I'm a new member and couldn't help making some comments.

High St computer stores mentioned here and elsewhere are not there to be helpful - forget the bumf you hear in the adverts - if you can't turn over quick enough. Most of them rely on the fact that you do not really know what you are buying but like most people you have made yourself believe that you know what you are doing - it is only human nature.

You will be sold the most expensive item the unqualified staff can sell you, unless they can sell you a lower priced machine with an extended warranty. Yes they do get more money for this but they get a bigger bxxxxxing from the Area manager if they don't.

The Tech guys for the most part are trying to be helpful, however forget what the big adverts say - they are time limited by their managers to only spend 20-25 mins max per machine whether you pay for the hour or not.

Buying locally can save you a lot of headaches but the problem is knowing which of the local guys are going to be around in a year when things go wrong.

The best advice I can impart - if anyone is listening, is to talk to people, don't be afraid to ask, you won't look like an idiot because you don't understand but you will feel better if you make the best choice based on good solid evidence. READ THE SMALL PRINT

You wouldn't buy a car from Arfur just because he told you it was worth it would you ?

Geoff

By the way, I worked for a major retailer and know how it works. Now I babysit 450 machines and 10 servers