Goodbye Powergen

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6220 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wrote this to Powergen's M.D. a few weeks ago:

Powergen

PO Box 7750

Nottingham

NG1 6WR 24th March 2007

Dear Mr Horler,

Re Account No XXXXXXXXXX

Oh frabjous day, calloo, callay! I’m referring to the thrill of receiving your recent ‘Good News’ letter advising a reduction in electricity prices.

Excitedly, I turned over the letter to read the new prices printed on the reverse. As the existing prices were not shown for comparison (an oversight on your part, I’m sure), I reached for my last bill to see how much I would be saving.

Wow! 0.46% reduction on the primary unit rate. Even better, 0.53% reduction on the secondary unit rate! With trembling hands I hit the calculator. That means a saving on a typical quarterly bill of ……..wait for it…….yes…. 43 pence!

I was so thrilled at this news that I had to write and thank you, even though it means that I will have spent all next quarter’s saving sending this letter.

Anyway, I’m sure your other customers* can look forward to a series of price reductions in the coming months, to counteract the rises shown below. Bit of a way to go though, isn’t there?

History of Powergen price rises 2003 - 2006

• 5 Jan 2004 increased electricity by 6.9%
  • 1 November 2004 increased electricity by 8.9% (6.4% for PPMs)
  • 31 August 2005 increased electricity by 7.2%
  • 10 March 2006 increased electricity by 18.4%
  • 21 August 2006 increased electricity by 9.7%

Yours departingly

Elsinore

P.S. * I just switched supplier

This morning I got a reply!

Dear Els

Thank you for your letter regarding your change in prices.

I have confirmed details of your price decrease with our regulations department and I have found that the information you have been sent is correct.

Powergen has advertised an average price decrease of 5% for electricity, this percentage is an average of decreases affecting all meter types, all payment methods and all areas of the country. This means that our customers will experience different percentages of decrease.

There are various other factors affecting the level of decrease to our customers, one of the primary factors is the fluctuating cost of distributing electricity in different parts of the country. Due to higher distribution costs in your area, your level of decrease is significantly lower than the advertised average.

For future price decrease announcements, Powergen may advise that customers receiving less than the average percentage of decrease will not be notified individually.

Should you require any further information please call me on 0115 843 4234 and I will be happy to help you.

Yours sincerely

Marcus Libby

Customer Service

Guest ian cognito

Ok, so distribution to Central Lancashire is high in comparison to the rest of the country, the average reduction is 5% and yours is less than 1%, that means some lucky powergen customers are receiving a reduction getting on for double figures, OK nationwide members, check your reduction and lets see just where these huge reductions are......

Ok, so distribution to Central Lancashire is high in comparison to the rest of the country, the average reduction is 5% and yours is less than 1%, that means some lucky powergen customers are receiving a reduction getting on for double figures, OK nationwide members, check your reduction and lets see just where these huge reductions are......

Exactly, Ian.

I thought about replying to this stupid letter, to make that very point. Surely they are admitting to discrimination.

When they raised prices, did increases vary by 10% across the country?

Answers on a postcard!

Els

Guest ian cognito

I've got my reduction letter but i can't find a bill to compare it with, know i've got one somewhere so I'll keep rooting!