Jump to content

Problem with letting agent - where to complain?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hello, can anyone help out there??


My husband and I are having a nightmare trying to get a tenancy deposit back (which is a whole other matter). The landlord is communicating through the letting agent, and the letting agent has not been of any help to us at all. We have been writing letters back making some very valid points about betterment etc, and even used the letter posted here as a base for one of them. The replies back have been, at best, dismissive.


I have looked on the ARLA website as well as the Ombudsman and I can see that the letting agent has plainly not been operating within their regulations. We wrote a letter of complaint about the way we have been treated to the agent and asked them which governing bodies they were a member of as we were considering making a formal complaint. The reply was that they are not part of any governing body! Surely there must be someone to register a complaint to? Does this depend on what exactly you are complaining about?


One other question please... The letter in the library for getting your deposit back has a section about asking them for proof that the deposit is kept in a separate clients account. We left this section in. In reply the agent merely wrote in "Yes your deposit is held in a separate client account". My next letter pointed out this was not exactly proof, and requested proof again. The next reply was "Yes, again, your deposit is held in a separate client account". What proof should they be providing??


Some help would be greatly appreciated!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there. You have few tools left: Data Protection Act and small claims court to recover your deposit. It seems to e that you have done enough negotiating and as long as any reasonable person can say that you are not being hasty, you can start the legal process. Would you know how?

DPA- well, if you are going to sue them, then sooner or later you will have your answer about your deposit, no matter in what account it sits.


Agents do not have to belong to any professional body- the membership is entirely voluntary.


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your reply. I am going to speak with a laywer this week. I know they are not necessarily required when you go through small claims court, but the situation has some other issues apart from the return of the deposit.

I wanted to make a formal complaint about the letting agent so that they wouldn't be able to treat other tenants like this in the future! Would the office of fair trading would be able to keep them in line?

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...