• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hippo v Smile

Micky the Hippo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They're my current bank after bailing from NW a few years ago, they're ok but tricky buggers with the charges, and that's after NW

SAR sent off today for two separate accounts plus my coop credit card, I used to love that their helpdesk guy could see my smile accounts and the coop cc account on the same screen but money took five days to move from one to the other

bless

more news as it arrives

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I look forward to it.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PMSL

If it's any consolation I'm thinking about round 2, although there was a threat of closing my account if I did it. Would that help at all? I've got my arguments pretty well sussed so I don't honestly think that ethical smile will do it, but you never know.:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

can't have too many dramas, a closed account with bailiffs actioned to reclaim their overdraft and make you homeless would be a splendid prequel to my thread once it gets started

you can do the smooth efficient thread

I'll do the one with screaming, wailing and pleas for immediate help and advice on an hourly basis, I've got small children and a huge mortgage and numerous dreadful debts

Seeing as I'm the newbie with no arguments at all, sussed or otherwise

I've got large children (they get even more expensive :eek:) a fair size mortgage and numerous dreadful debts, but you go for it. Is the hippos open mouth significant at all? LOL

I was thinking more about small crying children looking destitute than expense to be honest

It might signify me yawning from being so bloody tired all the time although the youngest is more or less sleeping to a decent time lately, there was an ugly and protracted spell of 5am starts that wear a man down

I should confess that my wife is a barrister although only in here third month so far so now real sacks of used tenners to use as pillows yet

• 1 month later...

got the coop statements a while ago with a covering letter detailing the three accounts I SARed for

waited and eventually secure messaged them asking where the other two accounts were

A 'Manager' apologised and said it had been passed to the relevant department

yeah right, they said that on day one and did nothing, I've replied asking for a due date, I feel a non compliance coming on as soon as my N1s for NW and Barclays hit the post box

ooh and a cheeky £50 of charges this week for two withdrawals over the weekend totalling £18, no money for them because they bounced a DD (it was £3 short) and then took the money anyway and didn't put it back until the following day, the DD was to their own COOP CC, all very interesting how money payable to themselves leaves the account even when it's been refused

on going through the bundle again (it's very muddled) I realise that it is all there, sheesh

there's only six years of cc statements so I've secure messaged demanding the lot back to 99

only two years and a half of banking but it looks like about £500 of charges across the three accounts

anyone done CI on Coop yet? no reason not to is there?

this will be my first cc claim, I know that person uses a different spreadsheet to calculate the interest, if the CI the same otherwise?

my N1s for NW and B went today, SARs out for my sister on three accounts so time to get this one rolling

advice re the cc and CI on the cc appreciated

thanks

The only reason I know for not going for CI is that there is no legal basis for claiming it. Some have been lucky and got it, while others have had their claims rejected by the courts because of it. Given the stance the courts are taking at the moment after the Lloyds wins I'd strongly recommend that you don't risk it. You're a long way from needing a bundle.

there so is a legal basis for claiming it, defo is, and if a person claims unauth/auth/stat in the variance there's nothing to lose and everything to gain

as it happens I've just done charges and the portion of debit interest due to charges on one of the bank accounts, comes to a bit more than I thought, £250 odd, the auth CI at 9.9 isn't worth claiming, the charges are only 2 and a half years old

might see for the cc though

what stance are the courts taking after the Lloyds one? Everything I read on here suggests the banks are close to losing patience with the banks and the Lloyds was a one off likely to be reversed on appeal

ta

Can you please quote the legal basis for claiming CI. I'm not aware that anyone on the site has managed to find any so if you know something we don't ..............

This thread refers to the actions some courts are taking.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/71343-when-you-have-filed-14.html#post871702

dear god, that links appalling news isn't it?

I'd not seen that, that's nothig to do with CI though is it? That's any and all charges isn't it

My N1s for Barclays and Natwest went in the post today, do I need to panic about them all of a sudden? :o

and thanks a lot for that, crikey

I woudn't panic too much if your claims are under £5k so likely to be in small claims. For even more of a shocker you may want to read this, and heed the warning to accept charges plus statutory interest and not pursue CI if that is all that's not on offer.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/11164-cank-halifax-9.html#post847697

The moral of this story is to stick to the tried and tested processes that work.

both £3.5k ish with the CI

yep, I'm aware of the trickiness of the charged plus stat offer, thanks though

this striking out problem is a fast track thing?

and hopefully a Hull thing?

umm yes but someone has to push the envelope surely?

claiming in the variance covers sir's arse surely? barring turning down a charges plus stat offer, natch

thank-you very much for your time tonight

No probs. As long as you're aware of the implications. Striking out is not necessarily a fast track thing, but the difference is that in small claims you are much less likely to have to pay the banks costs if it gets to court. I don't think you need to worry unduly, but you have seen what happened to Cankster by pushing the envelope.

There are still plenty of judges, including the Mercantile judge in London who are clearly not happy with the banks, and in my eyes his view carries far more weight than a those in local county courts, and the one in Bristol who ordered costs against Lloyds.

It has to be kept in proportion.

BBC NEWS | Business | Judge warns 'unreasonable' banks

BBC NEWS | Business | Judge attacks 'time-wasting' bank

Got it!

Cankster didn't lose anything though did he? He still got charges plus stat didn't he?

Anyhow, my smile claims will be strictly charges plus interest due to charges, the CI doesn't add up to enough to make it worth the hassle

I'm glad I'm not in court in the next few weeks!

Me too LOL, but I should be getting on with my hubbys claim against Lloyds.:-| Might let the dust settle a bit.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Two letters from Smle today, utterly identical, no mention of my references, account numbers, their references, nada

they're sorry I've felt the need to make a complaint ...

not even a leaflet, just a link to the website

they're looking into it, twice presumably, they'd better hurry, LBA in two days time

dear god they annoy me

shifted some money over last night to cover a debit due out today

sure nuff, they bounced it and charged me £25

even though the bank was 'closed'

they don't do any credits to the account until the bank 'opens' at 9am

they do the debits first, so they managed to bounce it, charge me and send me a secure message informing that I had insufficient funds by 08.55

5 minutes late I had loads of funds, only it was too late by then

makes my blood boil

ah well stinking secure message in reply, stick on the SOC for my LBA tomorrow

I complained the first time this happened, I didn't understand what went wrong, when it was explained to me I told the CS person that it was clearly a deliberate ploy to cause charges, the CS person essentially agreed with me

• 2 weeks later...