I'm going to need to use a company to claim back.. Advice please!

feefofum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6168 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Once you have totted up the charges you could just send the first two letters to her and ask her to sign both and send back to you.

Personally I wouldn't use one of these companies, I would rather get up an hour early before going to work for a week than use one of those.

Good luck though.

REFUNDED

Hubbys - HSBC £4,165 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £651 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £147 Prel 7/8, LBA 21/8, MCOL 6/9 £241

Hubby Halifax - Prel 29/7 £215, LBA 21/8, Offer rec. £110 22/8, MCOL 6/9 £298

Abbey - £2758 - Prel 26/6, LBA 10/7 - MCOL 26/7 £3,391, offer 25/8 £1,755.94, paid £3567.32 after Case manag hearing

Barclays - £675 Prel7/8, LBA 21/8, offer received £300 MCOL 6/9 £998 - Paid £1,012 before going to Court

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

feefofum

Would it pay you to get an accountant to do the spreadsheet for you. and then get a local solicitor to do the rest, you wouldn't need to get a chartered accountant, any normal cheap accountant would do. Once he's done the calculations for you, a local solicitor should be able to handle the rest i would have thought for a reasonable price. Or even once the accountant has done his bit hand the matter over to the FSA, They don't charge and you get the full amount back without a lot of the hassle.

pmahonc

I would echo what everyone else has said, it doesn't have to be done all at once, and whilst the spreadsheets can be a bit intimidating, anyone can operate a highlighter pen - split the load up - send your sister back the statements, then she can spend short periods highlighting the charges and pulling out sheets with none on them, send them to you in small batches.

Won't look nearly as bad then, and it really doesn't matter how long it takes.

All the best

Phil

The guy has quite clearly stated that he doesn't want to do it himself and yet everyone keeps trying to badger him to do it himself. I don't really want to debate the rights and wrongs of such companies as I'm hardly impartial. However from what I've seen companies charge anything from 10% to 40%. If you are set on using such a company find one that is regulated by the governments claims regulation monitoring and compliance unit http://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk (although the one on Watchdog the other week is regulated) then give a few a call and see what impression you get from them.

Its about time some people on here realised that as with many things in life, sometimes people pay other people to do jobs that they don't want to do, I can't see why this is any different.I'm quite capable of washing my car but often I get someone else to do it for me.

I think it would be a far better idea if CAG teamed up with one of these companies to offer those that don't want to do it themselves another option. Alternatively they could set up their own company offering a similar service. Its no good sticking your head in the sand and telling everyone they should do it themselves if they really don't want to.

Out of interest, which bank is your sister with?

Podgydad....so do you go on to a "learn how to wash your car yourself" site where the originators of the site have spent hours and hours of their unpaid time creating a site in order for you to wash your car yourself & then ask them to recommend a company that will do it for you?

Podgydad....so do you go on to a "learn how to wash your car yourself" site where the originators of the site have spent hours and hours of their unpaid time creating a site in order for you to wash your car yourself & then ask them to recommend a company that will do it for you?

No and thats a fair point ladybird. However, it doesn't change the fact that such companies exist and people want to use them. Sometimes even though you don't agree with something you have to be pragmatic and make the best out of that situation. Not liking these companies isn't going to make them go away is it? Far better to team up with a reputable one and get some kick back? Or how about teaming up with a firm of solicitors and setting a fixed fee for people referred. I just don't think its good enough to slag these companies off, some who will be reputable, some that won't without offering some alternative to doing it yourself.

The guy has quite clearly stated that he doesn't want to do it himself and yet everyone keeps trying to badger him to do it himself. I don't really want to debate the rights and wrongs of such companies as I'm hardly impartial. However from what I've seen companies charge anything from 10% to 40%. If you are set on using such a company find one that is regulated by the governments claims regulation monitoring and compliance unit CMR: Claims Management Regulations (although the one on Watchdog the other week is regulated) then give a few a call and see what impression you get from them.

Its about time some people on here realised that as with many things in life, sometimes people pay other people to do jobs that they don't want to do, I can't see why this is any different.I'm quite capable of washing my car but often I get someone else to do it for me.

I think it would be a far better idea if CAG teamed up with one of these companies to offer those that don't want to do it themselves another option. Alternatively they could set up their own company offering a similar service. Its no good sticking your head in the sand and telling everyone they should do it themselves if they really don't want to.

Out of interest, which bank is your sister with?

I don't think people are trying to badger feefofum. They are just trying to make it clear that there are no time limits to getting the claim done, and remind them that they could do it a little bit at a time.

I think that the major problem people on here have with such companies is the fees they charge: 10-40%. I know you've said you don't want to debate this podgydad so this isn't aimed at you, but I think that is extorionate. Fair enough 10% of a small claim won't necessarily amount to much, but I think it's more likely that these companies are charging more. I think people would feel much better about using them if they charged a set fee of about £50 per claim, possibly with a minimum claim value so that it makes the service worthwhile. I think that would be reasonable and I honestly believe that £50 reflects the time (rather generously;)) that the companies put into each claim, but I'm sure it would never work like that. :rolleyes: I just don't agree that charging a percentage is at all reasonable for the amount of work it involves - even solicitors don't work in that manner (as far as I know anyway, but I'm not an expert:D).

There may be honest and reputable companies out there who really work hard fo their clients and charge the lowest possible percentage they can, but from what I've seen on here they are using others' hard work to earn themselves thousands of other people's money which they shouldn't be entitled to. And when it works like that I don' think CAG are ever going to want to team up with them. :)

Lucid :)

Mindzai & Lucid vs Lloyds TSB

*Won unconditionally with contractual interest (29.85% compounded)

Lucid's Account - £749.62 * Joint Account - £2019.64 * Mindzai's Account - £595.65

*All settled in full - 6/2/07

*Hearings - 7/2/07

*Prelims sent - 9/8/06

_______

GOT A COURT DATE? A guide to the later stages

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also when she wins she will get all of the money rather than having to pay out over 25% so on that basis it must be worth it

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

A few people have work have received cold calls from these companies offerig to get their charges back. In one instance, I got £2K back after ONE LETTER and ONE PHONECALL as a follow up. Total time spent? An hour and a half. I've printed off the CAG details and left them around various places in the office so that people know where they can go for advice.

We are all very very busy people, but the statements could easily be tallied up in an hour or so (speaking from experience) and from there it's just a case of sticking to the CAG hymnsheet and you will get the money back.

If you really can't spare three or four hours over the next month, then maybe it is worthwhile getting someone else to do it for you, but I'm like everyone else on here - couldn't recommend the use of an ambulance chaser.

Bank and credit card reclaims - £9,806

Sainsburys CCA non-compliance with FOS;

Natwest reclaim of £340 in progress;

Egg credit card reclaim in progress

One other thing that has just come to mind-in these days of indentity fraud what is stop these firms using/selling the information that they obtain as part of the reclaim process.

I assume that they are regulated but even so I would not trust them with my details.

PPMAN159

A few people have work have received cold calls from these companies offerig to get their charges back. In one instance, I got £2K back after ONE LETTER and ONE PHONECALL as a follow up. Total time spent? An hour and a half. I've printed off the CAG details and left them around various places in the office so that people know where they can go for advice.

We are all very very busy people, but the statements could easily be tallied up in an hour or so (speaking from experience) and from there it's just a case of sticking to the CAG hymnsheet and you will get the money back.

If you really can't spare three or four hours over the next month, then maybe it is worthwhile getting someone else to do it for you, but I'm like everyone else on here - couldn't recommend the use of an ambulance chaser.

I think it is underestimated how difficult it is to setup such a business and the time and expense involved. As almost 30% of claimants are with Lloyds or Barclays I can safely say that the time spent on claims is way in excess of 1 hour. Its one thing managing a couple of claims, its a whole different ball game managing hundreds.

I would estimate that your average CAG member spends about 10 hours on this site getting advice and learning the process. Some people can't be bothered to spend that amount of time, surely if they can't be bothered then they don't deserve to get the full amount do they?

One other thing that has just come to mind-in these days of indentity fraud what is stop these firms using/selling the information that they obtain as part of the reclaim process.

I assume that they are regulated but even so I would not trust them with my details.

Identity fraud isn't quite as simple as the media will have you believe, an account number and sort code is pretty useless on its own. A bank statement is only one proof of ID. Identity theft is the medias latest hobby horse and as with many things the fear is greater than the reality. If the media was to be believed there would now be an identity fraudster joining the pedophile and terrorist around every corner.

I remember watching Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine and thought it was very interesting when he compared US and Canadian news and their correlation to fear and perceived threat.

I know that some reclaims are much more involved than others - the point is, you can get back thousands of pounds of your OWN MONEY with relatively little effort. The process is so much easier than I could ever have anticipated, and I've been blue in the face telling everyone at work about this! :eek:

Kind of agree with your last comment - if you don't want to spend a few hours over the course of the 6-8 weeks reclaim timetable getting the cash back, then is it deserved?!

Bank and credit card reclaims - £9,806

Sainsburys CCA non-compliance with FOS;

Natwest reclaim of £340 in progress;

Egg credit card reclaim in progress

I think the main point point is that this is a SELF HELP forum designed to help YOU claim your charges back YOURSELF.

ie it helps you to do your own claim

I appreciate people may want someone else to do it for them, thats up to them, but this site wont recommend anyone as this is not what the CAG is about, ie CONSUMER Action Group and not RECOMMEND SOMEONE ELSE TO DO YOUR ACTION Group.

Thats the thing that annoys me-it is our money that we are dealing with here and yet people are prepared to throw away 25% of it rather than spending 10 hours reading the threads and completing the paperwork.

PPMAN159

FFF, one point I picked up on but haven't seen it addressed (I could have missed it though), is your concern over having to compile letters then send them on to your sister for her to sign. If your sister gave you full access and control of her account, you could do all the work yourself, sign letters etc. This would effectively get rid of that issue.

I would be very cautious with considering one of these NWNF companies. I have heard some real horror stories and a fried of mine has annoyingly gone to one of these companies and is still no closer to getting her money back 4 months on. I would be really concerned about passing my records / personal information on to someone else too.

Unfortunately you have come to the wrong place for advice on them because this site is all about supporting each other as you will no doubt have guessed from the responses you have had :D That said, your personal situation is your personal situation and if your priorities dictate that you have to use one of these companies then so be it. No one should judge you or question your reasons for doing chosing one of these companies - everyone's situation is different and it may be that this is your only option at this moment.

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

I know that some reclaims are much more involved than others - the point is, you can get back thousands of pounds of your OWN MONEY with relatively little effort. The process is so much easier than I could ever have anticipated, and I've been blue in the face telling everyone at work about this! :eek:

Kind of agree with your last comment - if you don't want to spend a few hours over the course of the 6-8 weeks reclaim timetable getting the cash back, then is it deserved?!

I think the reason people don't mind it is because in their head that money has long since gone, on a perceptual level they aren't really losing anything as it was lost already, any money they do get back is a windfall. As I say, this is a perception and that's why people don't mind paying 10-40%. Also, us Brits are a cynical bunch, we believe you don't get nothing for nothing.

If someone makes the decision that 20% of their claim is better than 10 hours of their time thats up to them really.

On another matter, I had a bill from my solicitor the other day for £500 for 2 hours work and the advice basically boiled down to 'we don't know either'.

Podgydad, you wouldn't happen to take this stance because you were operating one of the ambulance-chasers yourself, by any chance? As I seem to recall from a previous thread... :rolleyes:

Yes bookworm, I think thats obvious from my first response, as I said I'm hardly impartial. But its good to have an alternative views and opinions surely? We do still live in a democracy don't we?

I don't hide the fact that I run one of these companies, perhaps I should mention it in my signature along with a link ;-)

I'd also stress that I've never come on here and attempted to promote my company.

Yes bookworm, I think thats obvious from my first response, as I said I'm hardly impartial. But its good to have an alternative views and opinions surely? We do still live in a democracy don't we?

I don't hide the fact that I run one of these companies, perhaps I should mention it in my signature along with a link ;-)

I'd also stress that I've never come on here and attempted to promote my company.

So I take it that you use all the FREE information on this site to help your clients, so i presume that you must contribute part of your 25% (or whatever cut you take) to the site each time you win for then.??

We all seem to be getting a bit bogged down on this whole issue-my own view is that I would,and indeed have,worked out my own charges and submitted my claims-but at the end of the day we all have different priorities and demands and for some the time needed to do the work may not be avaliable.

As such due to this lack of time then the idea of paying someone to do the work on your behalf my seem attractive and cost effective.I suppose it is a similar situation to someone employing a cleaner.

Each to their own.

PPMAN159

ARGHHH, Maybe I should try another tack, anyone know how to successfully clone me, or add a few more hours into my day, and another couple of days into my week? THEN I could do this for her.

Lively-lad, thank you for your offer of help, can I send the statements to you then to add up the totals etc (along with my 1/4 done excel spreadsheet)?

Yes you can should you wish to.

So I take it that you use all the FREE information on this site to help your clients, so i presume that you must contribute part of your 25% (or whatever cut you take) to the site each time you win for then.??

I don't actually, I come on here from time to time to see what's happening to compare notes as it were. If we are having a delay with Clydesdale I come on to see if its a general issue or isolated to us.

Would this site accept donations from us?

Yes you can should you wish to.

So lets just get this straight, don't send your statements to a regulated claims management company, send them to a person you have never met apart from on an internet forum? I'm not saying Livelylad is going to do anything bad but the double standards here are astonishing!