• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

xLOCOx v Barclays, BarclayCard, Lloyds (Partner) **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6090 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am in the process of reclaiming my bank charges and got to the stage of filing a small claim at Edinburgh Seriff Court. So far I've been full of enthusiasm and found the course of all the proceedings fairly straight forward....up until now:o .

I received a confirmation from Sheriff Clerk's Office stating:

I enclose the photocopy of the front page of the Small Claims Summons lodged by yourself and three forms (11,12 & 13)..........You will be required to lodge a minute with the Court no later than 4.45pm on the Friday before the Preliminary Hearing Date giving instruction on whether you want decree pronounced, or some other order.

No reminder will be sent and if you fail to minute your case may be dismissed, decree of absolvitor may be granted, or a decree for expenses against you may be granted.

Hm, all very well, but what do I do next? :???:

All advice would be very much appreciated.

Barclays Bank:

PAR sent 05/03/07 £629.53

Standard letter from Barclays received 13/03/07

LBA sent 19/03/07

No response, made a phone call 27/03/07 - no success

Small Claim filed @ Edinburgh Sheriff Court 28/03/07

Gesture of Goodwill from Barclays £440.00 05/04/07

Refusal sent (as small claim already filed) 10/04/07

Barclays file defence 19/06/07

Court Appearance 26/06/07, Barclays did not appear

Court Decree granted and received 18/07/07 for the whole sum + 8% Interest + Court fees

Payment received 01/08/07 won!!!!!!! whole amount + interest 8% + court costs

BarclayCard

PAR sent 13/03/07 £597.44

No Response

LBA sent 28/03/07

Goodwill Gesture £264.00 received 29/03/07 (dated 22/03/07) and credited to my card

Refusal sent (accepted as partial payment only) 01/04/07

Made a phonecall 12/04/07 requesting full amount - was promised a call back within 48 hours - No Phone Call Received

Letter received 13/04/07 - no further refund will be paid

Small Claim filed @ Edinburgh Sheriff Court 22/05/07

Barclaycard File Defence 15/08/07

Barclaycard Offer 17/08/07 of remaining £358.00 happily accepted.... That's it.......:D WON!!!

Lloyds TSB (Partner)

PAR sent 28/03/07 £158.49

Standard letter received 06/04/07

LBA sent 12/04/07

Lloyds Offer of £220, Happily accepted WON !!!!! 30/05/07

Hi xLOCOx.

I'm not au fait with the Scottish judicial system.

I'll try to get someone who is to help you.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hi xLOCOx have a look below

11Form of minute - no form of response lodged by defender icon_word.gif

12Form of minute - pursuer not objecting to application for a time to pay direction or time order [this should also include a minute for decree] icon_word.gif

13Form of minute - pursuer opposing an application for a time to pay direction or time order icon_word.gif

Go to the court and they will explain everything to you, by then this may have changed if the bank has made their intentions (date) to defend the claim, 11 and 13 id say.

Will run through it with you tom evening if your on give me a shout.

George

Hi xLOCOx im a little confused as to why you have these forms and was wondering if you could give me some details to help me guide you.

12 and 13 is when there is time or not allowed to pay the claim, these are not available to the likes of a company (im sure) so puzzles me, form 11 is the one where you ask for a decree plus expenses if the bank fail to respond/settle at hearing date.

1/ What amount is the claim for?

2/ Can you give me your return date and hearing date.

3/ Depending on Q2 above have the bank made their intentions clear as to your claim, defend or no respond?

Hi Bigmac v, sorry for the late reply. As to your questions:

• the amount is for £629.53
  • the return date is 19/06/07; the calling date is 26/06/07
  • as per my first post, I lodged my claim @ Sheriff Court on 29 March and have not yet enquired about the bank's intentions

The Sheriff Clerk's Office confirmation states:

"The day after the Return Date contact the Court to see if there has been any response by the defender."

...and follows:

• "If the defender denies the claim the case will call and you must appear or be represented in Court on the Preliminary Hearing Date. (In this one circumstance you do not need to lodge a minute with the Court)."
  • If there has been no response by the defender and you wish to minute for decree as craved complete Form 11 and send this back to the Court. You will not have to appear in Court. The minute must be received by the Court no later than 4pm on the Friday before the Preliminary hearing Date. If you want to claim expenses please clearly state the amounts claimed. If the case has been settled you may minute to have the case dismissed, or continued for settlement etc."

Then there's guidance as to when to use Forms 12 and 13 as explained by you in your reply.

Form 9 is not mentioned at all.

So, it seems to be pretty comprehensive ;) , my main query was about -

No reminder will be sent and if you fail to minute your case may be dismissed, decree of absolvitor may be granted, or a decree for expenses against you may be granted.

>>> What date are we speaking here?...and what it means for that matter?

>>>Does Preliminary hearing Date = The calling date?

Hi xLOCOx OK now i see, the forms you refer to 11,12, and 13 (which i think 12 &13 are wrong) wont be used unless the defendant dosent respond by the return date 19/06/07, in that case you would complete form 11 decree as craved and if this was in court no later than 4:45 on the Friday before the prelim hearing (26/06/07) which would be the 22/06/07 then you would not need to appear.

In short if the bank dont settle with you and on the 20/06/07 you check with the court to see if the banks have made their intentions and they havent responded then fill form 11 decree as craved with your expenses. You need to have these in by Fri 22/06/07 before 4:45pm.

PLENTY OF TIME BEFORE THEN FOR THE BANK TO SETTLE, any progress let me know.

George

Hi,

this is an update on my Barclaycard proceedings. Have been offered £264.00 as opposed to £597.44 claim as a goodwill gesture that (and I only found out today) has already been credited to my account. This offer was accepted by me as partial refund only as explained in my letter where the remainder was requested again. Unfortunately no reply from Barclaycard.

Sooo, called them today as my deadline has already passed and was put through to an operator who was actually very pleasant to speak to but claimed that no such letter had been received by Barclaycard.

....Now, it was sent recorded delivery, but, surprise, surprise the letter cannot be tracked through Royal Mail and no reason given. It was sent 1st class on 1 April, so should have been delivered ages ago.

Anyway, I was promised by the Barclaycard operator to be called back within 48 hours.

....I wonder what happens if the letter has really not been delivered,......do I just carry on with the County Court or give them another chance???

Thanks George,

that makes it quite clear. Thanks again for your help, keeps the trembling to minimum ;) .

Anyway, went through your thread, it's close to a novel soon.

Cheers

....Now, it was sent recorded delivery, but, surprise, surprise the letter cannot be tracked through Royal Mail and no reason given. It was sent 1st class on 1 April, so should have been delivered ages ago.

....I wonder what happens if the letter has really not been delivered,......do I just carry on with the County Court or give them another chance???

What are your thoughts on that?

Ok, just received a letter from Barclaycard stating that their offer of goodwill was sufficient and no further refund will be paid.

That's me off to the Seriff Court, I think...

Also, can I update my Charges and Interest calculations when filing a small claim as I missed couple charges in the early stages of the claim?

• 1 month later...

My partner has just got a letter from Lloyds offering £220, which she will of course accept, especially as she claimed £158. Good stuff, hope that Barclays will act similarily... Come on Barclays....

Barclays Bank:

PAR sent 05/03/07 £629.53

Standard letter from Barclays received 13/03/07

LBA sent 19/03/07

No response, made a phone call 27/03/07 - no success

Small Claim filed @ Edinburgh Sheriff Court 28/03/07

Gesture of Goodwill from Barclays £440.00 05/04/07

Refusal sent (as small claim already filed) 10/04/07

Barclays file defence 19/06/07

Court Appearance 26/06/07, Barclays did not appear

Court Decree granted and received 18/07/07 for the whole sum + 8% Interest + Court fees

BarclayCard

PAR sent 13/03/07 £597.44

No Response

LBA sent 28/03/07

Goodwill Gesture £264.00 received 29/03/07 (dated 22/03/07) and credited to my card

Refusal sent (accepted as partial payment only) 01/04/07

Made a phonecall 12/04/07 requesting full amount - was promised a call back within 48 hours - No Phone Call Received

Letter received 13/04/07 - no further refund will be paid

Small Claim filed @ Edinburgh Sheriff Court 22/05/07

Lloyds TSB (Partner)

PAR sent 28/03/07 £158.49

Standard letter received 06/04/07

LBA sent 12/04/07

Lloyds Offer of £220, Happily accepted WON !!!!! 30/05/07

Cheers George, your thread seems to go on though, it's gonna slow down CAG's servers at this rate..., hope you will sum up soon..., so that you can just wonder round other threads and spread the wisdom...

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent the last 8 hours printing, copying and scaning 256 pages for my court bundle, but cannot get hold of 2004 Terms and Conditions anywhere on CAG or elsewhere. Can't believe I don't have them among all the paper junk I always keep.

I've got the latest ones that were sent with Barclays' refusal of settlement. Is there any point in adding those to the court bundle???

Any help would be much appreciated as time's....well, there's no time....

Cheers...

Today's the return date for my Barclays case. Couldn't wait till tomorrow so called the court this morning @10:00 only to be told that I'm too eager :rolleyes: and the bank has till close of business to reply. Now, they've had two and a half months to do so, so hope they didn't manage to respond in the remaining 7 hours and it's all good news tomorrow morning.

Is there a thread about what can be claimed as expenses?.....or am I just getting greedy here???:-D

But more importantly, I lodged my case back in march, with the schedule of all charges. Now, let's say the bank doesn't respond and I win by default. As I have incurred 2 more charges in the meantime, can these be claimed as part of the original claim?

...and they managed to file defence in those last 7 hours, that's timing I say. Reading the previous post makes me cringe, seeing how I let myself go far too soon. lol.

Hope all goes well, can't believe I'll have to go to court though...

:oops: cheers george, having gone through most of your posts and realizing you're usually right, has a calming effect , just got this funny feeling..., anyway the court clerk said the same, that was before my battery run out so didn't find out on what basis they want to defend.

Hope they pay up soon and I promise I won't be in red again, lol.

...and they managed to file defence in those last 7 hours, that's timing I say.

Yup!

Sure is!

You've taken them to the wire and they've done the same to you. I've noticed that happening in some other people's threads.

CHIN UP!

Reading the previous post makes me cringe, seeing how I let myself go far too soon. lol.

Hope all goes well, can't believe I'll have to go to court though...

Take care - and good luck!

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

Cheers Dusary,

got 2 letters this morning. 1 from the court explaining Barclays Defence, 1 from Barclays offering settlement. Excellent!!!!!!

I'm very happy, but hey there's still something that could be improved on.

• they're offering the whole amount of charges plus interest. Now this amount equals to the one that I specified in my PAR. As I included interest in my first letter, it will have grown in the meantime and that's not reflected in the offer. Can I claim the latest interest?
  • Court fee that's been paid to Edinburgh Sheriff Court totalling £39 pounds is not included, eventhough the letter states '...we are prepared to settle your claim upon payment of the charges applied to your account, together with statutory interest and any court costs, which comes to £xxx.xx, subject to the terms set out in this letter'. This is simply not true the £39 is not there.
  • Also and this is slightly far fetched but there have been further two charges in the meantime, can those be claimed together with the initial claim?

Anyway I am very pleased with the offer anyway. thank's CAG for all the info that's been made accessible, great help and especialy Rooster-UK for prompt first reply @ 00:42 a.m. and Bigmac Versus for his support and neverending optimism.

...one more to go...

Possibly give them a call:

Update them on the latest interest.

Tell them that they haven't included the Court Fee.

I'd go for the lot!

If they get stroppy - tell them you STILL intend to go to Court (assuming you haven't cancelled it, yet).

Make sure that the money is ACTUALLY in your hands before you sign anything.

!!!CONGRATULATIONS!!!

!YOU WON!

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!