Spiceskull v Currys Digital *sorted*

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6533 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I cannot believe that I am doing this, but there is no time like the present for starting this thread:

Hi,

On Monday (22nd May) I purchased TWO complete PCs from Curry's Digital in Kingston, Surrey. Due the nature of warehouse stock management, the monitors had to be delivered from a different branch, and arrangements were made for me to collect both PCs, along with monitors and printers, today, which I duly did.

Before proceeding, I have to say that customer service to date has been exemplary. The staff assisted me in my choice, made arrangements for my purchases to be available for collection, and all at my convenience.

I duly proceeded to set up the first of my computers this evening. I have been using computers for the last ten years, I work in IT and consider that my knowledge is good to excellent. Therefore I am fully aware of how to set up a basic home computer system. However, having done this, I am unable to use the machine. The monitor refuses to display anything other than 'power standby mode,' and switching the machine off, then on again, has no effect.

The PC is powered up, the monitor is powered up, the leads are all connected correctly, and still I am unable to get anything other than a blank screen. The manuals are of no use, assuming that the OS has booted up as a start point.

The units that I purchased were TWO of each of the following:

• Packard Bell Imedia 1529
  • LG L1717S TFT Monitor
  • HP PSC 1510 Printer/Scanner

Additionally, although I will not make a huge fuss about this, I find that my computers do not come with any sort of system restore discs, or even a copy of Win XP on a CD/DVD. I would have thought these would be included.

What I require: that I am contacted within the next 24 hours by a member of staff who can assist me in getting my systems working for the FIRST time. As I have yet to actually use either the machines or the operating system, I consider that ALL licensing requirements are still unconfirmed. I can be contacted by either email (at this email address) or by mobile phone: XXXXX XXXXXX. I REFUSE to call an 0870 number as a matter of principal, and experience confirms that these numbers do not lead to a resolution of my issue.

If this request is not fulfilled to my satisfaction, then I will consider the sale of these computers voided, and will require a FULL and unconditional refund of my money forthwith. Collection of these computers will be the responsibility of Currys Digital, and will also be at their expense.

Yours faithfully,

Mr Skull.

I am hoping that I will continue to get what can only be described as excellent customer service to date. However, I have been looking forward to this evening for weeks, and to find that I have bought dud machines is more than a disappointment - frankly I am ****ing furious.

Will keep you posted, and hopefully this will be the shortest [user] v [retailer] thread on the forums.

See the steps I took to get my bank charges back

Spiceskull v HSBC

Thank you Consumer Action Group

Read my blog

View a heated discussion about bank charges on the Times Educational Supplement bulletin boards

Collage001.gif

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

wow. are you turning into some kind of urban action hero now? :D

your reputation for not taking any s**t will precede you ;)

HSBC- £4995, settled payment in full

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

if you're not sure what to do?, Read the FAQ's

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

Not at all - it's just that I had my evening planned to plug it in and get to work. What ****es me off is that the other one is for my kids. I took it round there today, and the plan was to set it up tomorrow. Now they are going to be so disappointed.

I have learnt in the past - if you are going to complain, do it immediately. To leave it later invites hesitation, and that is such a dangerous path.

To be honest, I expect that I will get an email/call tomorrow, and the machines will be up and running. It is a sad day for this country if a retailer is prepared to lose £1,400 for the sake of a phone call...not only that, but the stressy elements have given me a raging headache...

Spiceskull v HSBC

Read my blog

View a heated discussion about bank charges on the Times Educational Supplement bulletin boards

Collage001.gif

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hey...all sorted. Spoke to Matt, everything working as it should be now. See, if you pester and push, and don't give up, you get what you want...

:D :D :D :D :D

Spiceskull v HSBC

Read my blog

Collage001.gif

Did you forget to switch on the screen then? *ducks to avoid thrown blunt objects* :D

Haha, almost. I'm going to grass on him now and he'll kill me, but there was a plastic plug in the socket where the monitor goes and he plugged the screen into the tv socket. It was the same on both computers.

But as he rightly said, what a con that is. How many people will call the 0870 number to be hanging on for 15 mins just to be told that minor detail. [problem] or what!!!

[

Well, he'll kill us both then, because I'm going to ask a really, really stoopid question: Didn't it say so on the manual/step-by-step, on what went where? :D Because they usually provide one of those...

No - I know that you usually get a set up manual, but this time around there wasn't one...or two even.

I have never seen a PC with two identical monitor/TV sockets before, and when I realised what the problem was...well...I was none too pleased, and no mistake.

But as Vamp says, I think this was done on purpose, to get that extra bit of 'support' out of customers...so even good service turned sour for the sake of a quid or two...

Spiceskull v HSBC

Read my blog

Collage001.gif

Oh look - the machine is a Packard Bell, and I specifically did not want to take out extra rip-off insurance. However, the machine is helpfully sugesting I do, and a message pops up to offer me further details. The bit I liked best was:

Telephone assistance 7 days a week: 0906 752 5600 (£ 0.75/minute*)

*Cost subject to change without notice

Without notice? Hmmm, can they actually do that, I wonder? What about if costs change halfway through the call...?

Spiceskull v HSBC

Read my blog

Collage001.gif

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6533 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks