Natwest Won't Let Me Close My Account!!!

von
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6217 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I already have a bank charges claim ongoing with natwest but now i would like to start another thread!

My bank charges claim is for an Ad Gold account with natwest. I have an overdraft with natwest and back in January we stopped using natwest because of our ongoing claims case. Sometime later following several more charges and unauthorised overdraft natwest telephoned me and we discussed my account. I explained that i was aware that my account was none too healthy and that i would like to freeze it and agree some sort of repayment policy with them. The lady i spoke to said that i could not do that but that what she could do is arrange a temporary overdraft for me. I explained to her that i could not have an overdraft as my credit rating did not meet their expectations. Amazingly she said that at the debt management centre, where she was calling from they could do what they wanted and could override anything a branch said. Well that was news to me.

We went through the process of what they wanted me to pay back every month and i said no because it was too much and eventually we agreed on an amount begrudgingly because i felt i had no other choice.

As time has passed i've though NO! Why should i pay back my money which i cannot spare into an account which is made up of unlawful and unfair charges.........

I am going to start a second claim with natwest and when that pays out i will put that into the overdraft but what natwest are telling me now is that i cannot close/freeze the account. Surely this cannot be true!?

Also when i do get paid out by my ongoing claim i don't want them paying the money into this account at the moment because natwest will no doubt do the classic which is pay me my money payable only into my gold account then close my account taking their generous cut!!!

Any thoughts please.

For anyone wanting to see my other ongoing saga its Bathgate v Natwest.

Thanks again.

Pretty Please Someone. My antique of a laptop won't do as i want it to can one of the very lovely mods move my thread please please please with a cherry on top!!!!:p

I am going to start a second claim with natwest and when that pays out i will put that into the overdraft but what natwest are telling me now is that i cannot close/freeze the account. Surely this cannot be true!?

Also when i do get paid out by my ongoing claim i don't want them paying the money into this account at the moment because natwest will no doubt do the classic which is pay me my money payable only into my gold account then close my account taking their generous cut!!!

Hi Von - from reading some past threads, I don't think you can close an account when it's in dispute. However, I really think you need NATTIE to give you the definitive answer on this one.

If they pay your charges into your account though, would this not reduce your debt with them therefore making sure it's reduced much more quickly than it would have been? Ultimately, if the majority of the debt is composed of charges - and they pay the charges towards the debt - I'd be inclined to think it's even stevens on both sides????

Hopefully, NATTIE will log back on later to answer more fully for your though. Good luck, hedgey xx ;)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Guest NATTIE

It sounds like collections department who will add an overdraft on the account temporarily and look to reduce the amount. I should say that if the account is advantage gold still i would change it to a current plus, you obviously do not use the benefits of the account. When the sum is paid to you, you can clear the overdraft owing and then shut the account once and for all. Simple solution i hope.

I hear what you are all saying and thank you so much for your thoughts i'm so appreciative your support.

What you say does make sense but my bank charges claim refund has already been spent on much more important debts. I'm sorry if this does not make sense but my ad gold account is not the highest of my priorities.

Maybe to close it down is not an option but can i not at least freeze the account therefore not accruing anymore costs/charges......

Maybe nattie can comment on this for me......

Lol

von

Guest NATTIE

this may sound harsh but you have said on post 1 you do not wish to make any payment plan because the charges are unlawful. Think about the logic, had there been no charges there would be no claim no penalty charges, no reason to have to pay it back. If the bank pay up on the claim you are getting the charges that are causing the account to go overdrawn back. Just think about why you are claiming and what you are getting back. The debt with natwest will still exist and you cannot expect that to be written off. I hope that post does make sense.

Nattie, understand what you are sying hence i have started a second claim. The current position i find myself in has happened only this year after i strated my "biggy claim" all i am trying to do is stop the debt spiralling out of control but to do that natwest are saying i have to make immediate payment........ maybe we are both saying the same but coming from different angles?????????????????:idea: