style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5143 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I would be really grateful for any help. I sent an LBA to Citi cards and have received the standard 'no chance' reply with a leaflet to take the issue up with the financial ombudsman if I so choose.

I phoned the Citi card number given and was told that I need to write in if I am not happy with the response. The chap seemed unaware that I had already sent all my statements with charges highlighted along with the LBA. He suggested I reply to the letter and he will arrange for my case to be reviewed!

He spoke of Citi's success in Court but I pointed out that they had in fact refunded the difference between £12 and charges levied, if not the whole amount - he said 'in a few cases'.

I have read and read so many threads and am impressed by those who have battled on, taken legal action and won their money back but I now feel disheartened, the thought of taking court action worries me. Maybe I am just a soft touch and not big or strong enough to take on Citi cards.

My Citi card account was assigned to Hillesden and I am currently making agreed payments to DLC but the amount I am claiming would go a long way towards reducing the debt.

Any suggestions or support very welcome!

You have two options;

Either go the legal route by filing a claim with MCOL or submitting an N1 (which gives you a bit more space) that goes direct to your local county court.

Or

Enter a complaint against Citi with the Financial Ombudsman, though using this method will mean you will be unable to claim any interest on the amount due to you.

I have it on good authority that the FO haven't had to make a formal decision so far, the banks instead have chose to settle. Which translates to if a complaint has been made against Citi at the FO they've paid up.

It may seem a little daunting but if you were to decide to go the legal route there are plenty of us here to help.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Hi Enron

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it. I have been reading and reading and going from thread to thread.

I was under the impression that I could not claim interest until I was at the court stage but from what I have now read it seems that for credit cards I can apply interest at the prelim/LBA stage.

I am currently reading about contractual interest and the 8% but got an addled brain now! Off to make a coffee and come back to it.

I know the FO route will take months as they are now so busy. Maybe my thinking is wrong but when I received the citi letter it is exactly what I expected but I suppose who can blame them - if they write a 'no chance' letter and claimants do nothing more then citi have won.

Citi wrote their response within 2 days of receiving my LBA which makes me think it was a case of 'another claim send a standard no chance letter'. Before deciding whether to go FO or Court route I wonder whether it is worth a strongly worded response to Citi's letter disputing the points they raise and saying that as the FO advises to try negotiations I am giving them a further 7 days to come up with an offer.

Thanks again for your response

Before deciding whether to go FO or Court route I wonder whether it is worth a strongly worded response to Citi's letter disputing the points they raise and saying that as the FO advises to try negotiations I am giving them a further 7 days to come up with an offer.

Fraid not casper - Citi will just ignore any letters you send. As you have read around the threads you will see what they are like. Was it Brian Smith you spoke to?

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Unfortunately out of all of the banks, Citi are potentially the one which will dig there heels in as much as possible and not want to part with your money.

Albeit they do have some major holes in there defence at present. Mainly an incomplete cost justification of the £12.88 figure they state it costs them per default.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Fraid not casper - Citi will just ignore any letters you send. As you have read around the threads you will see what they are like. Was it Brian Smith you spoke to?

Hi

No it was Clibbens and he just said I could reply to his letter if I wanted them to look at it again. I don't think they have actually looked at my claim at all!

I got exactly the same letter as you casper - dated 3 days after their time on my LBA ran out - saying that they would look into my complaint again. Result - Summary Cause action raised this week. I suppose we have to bear in mind that the poor wee souls are getting a bit snowed under with work at the moment......and I read on the BBC website that CitiGroup are reducing their workforce by 17,000 "Quote...The cuts, which will reduce its 327,000-strong workforce by 5%, are part of efforts to reduce costs. Citigroup hopes to make savings of $2.1bn (£1bn) in 2007, rising to $4.6bn in 2009, in order to revive profits. On top of the job cuts, 9,500 positions will be "moved to lower-cost locations, both domestically and internationally", said chief executive Charles Prince. 'Cuts start today' The job cuts are designed to reduce Citigroup's operating costs, which soared by 15% last year to $52bn, while its annual revenues rose just 7%. ...Unquote" I suppose they have to find the money to pay all of our claims from somewhere :-)

Citi Cards

- S.A.R sent 29/01/07

- Statements received 08/03/07

- First Request sent 12/03/07

- LBA Sent 21/3/07

Bank of Scotland

- S.A.R. sent 27/02/07

- Request for Payment sent 14/05/2007